Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 348 total)
  • Whyte G150 or Orange 5?
  • ska-49
    Free Member

Interesting- the claimed weight on the Whyte website is 13.5 kg which is 30lbs, so their weight is well out!

dvowles82
    Free Member

Yeah, that weight is pretty out!

I guess if you’re running you’re medium G150 with a 40mm stem, you’re looking at reach of 648mm (608mm top tube + 40mm stem). Whereas a medium T130 is going to give you a reach of 664mm (594mm + 70mm stem). If I do go with the T130, I might try and get away with a 60mm stem, although I guess 70mm is hardly long.

Still so torn between a G150s, which is available now, and a T130s, which won’t be available in LBS until at least mid-October. While I much prefer the spec of the g150 (the brakes, drivetrain, fork, shorter stem), I just can’t shake the feeling that it will be overkill, and hence less spritely/poppy/manoeuvrable on pretty much all of my riding, except the most gnarly stuff that I’d do very occasionally – i.e. red runs at Bike Park Wales. Other than that, I will generally be limited to red and blue runs at trail centres, maybe the occasional trip to more natural riding.

Just can’t decide. Wiggles – would be keen for a ride report once you’ve Christened your beauty.

wiggles
    Free Member

Hopefully will give it a test in the next few days and report back. Only ridden it to work and back so far…

pw14
    Free Member

For what it’s worth I’ve had my t130s three weeks now, I’m running a large at 5’11”, it’s perfect! Tried the medium but the TT did feel that bit too short for me. Had three blasts on it now feels great, feels like I can throw it around. Looks great too.

PrinceJohn

My T-130 is going back tomorrow 🙁

The forks are stuck down so they’re always at the 25% sag mark…

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

the reason the T-130 Works has been delayed is due to Whyte not being able to get the wheels, the wheels are a month away, my bike shop is trying to get the bike off them with no wheels and is buying a set of wheels to put on it until my wheels come into stock, if all goes to plan I should be on my T-130 works within a week, now THAT is service for you

dvowles82
    Free Member

Wow, that’s good service! I might be cheeky and see if my LBS will do the same. Highly unlikely I’d imagine though.

dvowles82
    Free Member

Went in and asked regarding the Works model, it was a no. Shop were willing, but Whyte aren’t releasing the bike until it’s complete and ready to leave, wheels and all. i.e. Early November.

T130S it is then.

ska-49
    Free Member

Well, I enquired at the LBS – Cycle Evolution, Colchester- on Friday about getting a test ride on a T130. I was told I’d get a call back Monday to discuss what Whyte says as I’m interested in the S or Works.

I’ve heard nothing since. If I’m spending £3000 on a bike, is it unreasonable to expect some customer service? I’ll be taking my cash to another LBS.

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

How happy am I??? Had it confirmed today by cycle uk Romford that they have managed to get my bike out of Whyte with no wheels and have ordered me a set of £300 shimanos to go on it till mine arrive in oct and they are payin for em not me, I will now have my bike just after the weekend, I’ll be pretty much the 1st to have this bike
    CYCLE UK ROMFORD, WHAT A SERVICE!!!!

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

***CYCLES UK WENT THE EXTRA MILE FOR ME, WHAT CAN THEY DO FOR YOU???!!!!***

dvowles82
    Free Member

Ah lucky you. I think my LBS lied, as they said Whyte would simply not release the bike un-complete!

Still gutted I gotta wait at least another month for my T130S.

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

Snow and rock in Romford had that bike in stock, is that the orange one dvowles?

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

If it is they got me a medium in to have a look at so I know there is stock about on that bike

leftyboy
    Free Member

@Hammer great news let us know how it rides 🙂

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

Cheers lefty, I can’t pick it up till Thursday as I’m working but as soon as I have it I’ll put some photos up

dvowles82
    Free Member

Hammer- cheers but I’ve got a credit note with Bike UK in Bristol, so gotta hang on until they get the t130s in unfortunately.

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

That’s a shame, be well worth the wait tho fella

leftyboy
    Free Member

@Hammer not sure my LBS would do this for me but I might ask

leftyboy
    Free Member

@Hammer Turns out my LBS will do this! So my Works is on it’s way to my LBS minus it’s wheels, my Hope brakes are going to get fitted and the LBS are lending me brand new set of Hope Hoops to use until the Roam 40s are in!

Shows why a good LBS is worth getting to know and supporting!

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

There ya go fella, give me a problem I’ll give ya an answer hahahahaha happy days

leftyboy
    Free Member

@Hammer my LBS tahnks you to as they can now at least offer their customers who are waiting for their Works models a way of getting them before November!

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

no worries, glad to be of service lol, its gonna annoy me as mine will be ready Tuesday but I cant ride it till Thursday lol im gonna be itching to get on it

Rockplough
    Free Member

The new Whytes do look good, and having demod last year’s T-129 I’m after one myself.

But why all the demand for the T-130? A bike with no reviews, no previous version, and which only a select few will have ridden? Just curious.

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

its a very highly spec’d bike for the money

whytenite
    Free Member

Yes… It is a highly spec bike for the money.. & the latest spec to Boot!
    Be Patient.. It is next years model. Young men can’t wait.- amusing.
    Just keep using your old bike with a air of nostalgia..
    I’m 50 next year & –
    believe me.. I saviour the young models.. More than you can ever imaging.. He he.

Mbnut
    Free Member

@ Rockplough

For me the T130 has the best geometry numbers of any 120 to 140 travel bike that I have seen. Suspension set up and spec can all be tinkered with but it is the geo that stands out.

The G150 also has great numbers, imho Whyte have hit it plumb with these models.

Shame i can’t afford one of each.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Hi whytenite I’m 50 in March but when I’m flying round my local trails with my other middle aged mates we all feel like we’re 10 year olds again!

whytenite
    Free Member

Hi Leftyboy,

I agree. Once I reach that sweet level of fitness.. On approaching the last leg
    Of my favourite 10 mile trail ride after nursing a small injury from Lake District blast (scar fell pike area)
    And a near six week break interval ; The feeling of returning fully fit and exhilarated.. The nearest
    To feeling 10 yo i’ve felt for a long time.
    Hope you LOVE you’re new bike- Be Well!

PrinceJohn

But why all the demand for the T-130? A bike with no reviews, no previous version, and which only a select few will have ridden? Just curious.

Because it’s essentially a 130mm travel version of the excellent G150, having test ridden a G150 but not bought one as 150mm is far too much travel for my mincey day to day riding the 130mm is a much better option.

Plus it’s a complete hooligan of a bike that flatters my meagre skills…

wiggles
    Free Member

Taking the G150 to BPW monday for it’s first proper ride so will report back then as not tested it on anything worthy enough to judge it on yet!

leftyboy
    Free Member

Hi whytenite

I’m recovering from knee surgery but have been given the OK to start riding again! Planning on trying the T-130 out next weekend!

whytenite
    Free Member

Hi Leftyboy.
    Yeah, we are kind of in the zone. Bikes are infinitely
    better than they were when we were in our 20,s.. and for most
    of our age group.. We can afford the best!
    The art is keeping our bodies worthy of the challenge!

Let us all know the score with the T130- Regards

dvowles82
    Free Member

Wiggles – keen for a ride report after your trip to BPW! I’d imagine it would be brilliant for it. How have you found it on more average trails, at slower speeds? Still responsive and fun?

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

JUST HAD THE CALL FROM MY LBS AND MY T-130 WORKS HAS BEEN DELIVERED TO THEM, ROLL ON THURSDAY!!!!!!!! LITERALLY CANNOT WAIT

leftyboy
    Free Member

@wiggles I’m also keen to hear even though it’s the T-130 Works I’m going for..

@hammer you sound a little excited 🙂

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

@lefty more than you can imagine mate, proper glad I was able to come up with an idea that got me my bike before end of Nov

leftyboy
    Free Member

@hammer me to mine should hit the LBS tomorrow and I’m hoping to collect it on Sat. I’m glad you had that idea too!

wiggles
    Free Member

Had an awesome time at bpw, G150 was brilliant.
    Much more confidence inspiring in the rocks and roots than anything else I have ridden. The guide brakes work fine, was expecting to hate them as had shimano zees before and didn’t like XO trails when I tried them.

The bike handles great and saved my ass in a few very badly executed drops and jumps, struggling with the shock tune a little though very small pressure change is the difference between harsh and willowy.

But definitely felt faster in the turns and well everywhere than I have ever been there. And last time I rode there I was on a £5k + yeti

dvowles82
    Free Member

Sounds great wiggles. Does it handle well in less gnarly trails?

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 348 total)

The topic ‘Whyte G150 or Orange 5?’ is closed to new replies.