Whyte g150 opinions

Home Forum Bike Forum Whyte g150 opinions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Whyte g150 opinions
  • dvowles82

Has anyone ridden this ans able to offer their opinions please? How does it go in typical trail centre riding, or is it a bit overkill?

Thanks

skindog

As most trail centres can be fun on a hardtail then it’s overkill. Nothing worse than tanking down a trail on a hardtail and getting held up by some bloke on a full sus bike! Never the less the G-150 has excellent descent characteristics and climbs OK, so does well on trail centres. Plus the spec is great value for money! I’m trying mine on it’s first all day epic today so will see how we hold up.

Premier Icon tomaso
    Subscriber

Regardless of whether or not you need one or would be rude enough to hold someone up on a hardtail at a trail centre the G150 seems a good bike. A mate has one and it hasn’t (unfortunately) slowed him down.

My friend had a Trek EX8 before and the slacker geometry and shorter stem on the G150 have given him more confidence on tricky steep rocky stuff. But in his effortless way its just a bike and he rides the wheels off it and everyone else struggles to keep up…

The only factor wheelsize has had is the cost of buying tyres that can cope with Lakeland abuse with out tearing or pinch puncturing. £40 for a dual ply High Roller in 27.5 flavour where as if you look hard 26 inch ones can be found for £19.99.

One thing that worries me about it is the rear end has some flex when you get hold of it a put on some side load. Not sure if this is designed in flex or just because the seatstays are bridgeless – eitherway I found it alarming.

A friend of a friend has the G150 works and has had a problem with the fancy rear SRAM wheel and there aren’t any spares to fix it…

dh

good deal on them @ alpine bikes right now if you are interested.

dvowles82

Cheers guys. Will try and organise a test ride. Got a credit note of to use with bike uk – would be awesome if they could at least partially pricematch that Alpine UK price – that would be a bargain.

How do you find it on twisty (not particularly steep) single track? Still responsive and fun?

skindog

I was on all sorts of single track today and it coped really well, flickable on the twisty stuff and just soaked up all the big stuff. I was mostly on new trails to me and had a few moments where I thought; shit I’m a bit too fast for this, or messed up a line. The G-150 just soaked it all up and let me get away with it. The only upgrade is a high roller EXO for the rear as the stock tyre side walls chew up too easily to use tubeless.

I don’t notice a problem with the back end whilst out riding and it corners really reliably.

Good luck.

Premier Icon stumpytom
    Subscriber

It is not really overkill for trail centres as it climbs ok and is great fun on some of the rougher descents. I have used mine in trail centres, up and down Snowdon, around the Surrey Hills, an all day epic out of Llangollen, Antur Stiniog and on local singletrack on the south downs and have never wished I was on a different bike, aside maybe from a bigger bike at Antur as that place is rough.

It is just great fun, really flickable and massively confidence inspiring.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Whyte g150 opinions’ is closed to new replies.