Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Whyte 19 steel eccentric bottom bracket
  • wheelsonfire1

This bike eats bottom bracket bearings. It’s been faced. After further inspection it’s apparent that the bottom bracket tube, whilst appearing externally round, has had the thread cut off centre. The top wall thickness is .96 and the bottom wall is 1.08 with variations in between. Could this affect the longevity of the bearings and has any other owner/mechanic come across this problem before? Although it sounds marginal it means that the flat surface the bearing housing snugs up against varies considerably. This is visible to the naked (and in my case aged) eye. Any experience of this anyone? It’s a 2012 model.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t see how it could.

Thought of square taper?

nedrapier

Bearing threads not in line would definitely shorten hearing life. I had a frame, not EBB, where the threads are not cut in line, and it was taken back and replaced. They said “send it back. We’ve had this once before, you could build it up, but the cranks wouldn’t soon freely and it would eat BB bearings”

Is it a new bike? If not, there are some EBB inserts available if it’s a standard diameter. Phil Woods, Niner, Bushnell. You could send Sam of Singular or Andy of Stooge an email, they might have one spare knocking about.

nedrapier

Sorry not all relevant. Misread your post in many ways. Too early, tiny baby, too little sleep!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 19 steel eccentric bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.