Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Whyte 146s
  • gb1m
    Free Member

I’ve just taken delivery of my long awaited 146 and I’m a little disappointed.
    The shop I got it at pointed out to me that the finish on the top tube was a little flat like it had had something stuck on it. On closer inspection at home it turns out to be overspray so a little t cut later and its all gone.
    But while doing this I noticed that the frame has been chipped and touched up before the top lacquer and also on the top tube towards the head tube there seems to be a dint/dints (didn’t think carbon could dint) or you could say a lumpiness.
    Has anybody got the same frame and is yours like this? This is my first carbon bike so I don’t really know what to expect with the finish, are they all like this ? Can anybody help as I’m thinking that I shouldn’t ride it or even put the pedals on.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I have some lumpy ‘dints’ on my E120 top tube too. Not worried about it though. I have a genuine fingerprint under the lacquer of mine, i can only see it on close inspection in sunlight! Give it a good ride and forget about it! Easy to expect a perfect finish when it’s that costly though.

DanW
    Free Member

Can anyone comment on the ride of the latest Whyte full suss bikes (146 and E120)? I am coming from a 2005 Marin Mount Vision which I really like but feel could do with a little more travel (and for some reason the latest Marins don’t really appeal)

Many thanks in advance

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Sounds predictable, but i’m loving the E120 (replacement for E5) Rode it at Dalby last week and it was much better than me!

DanW
    Free Member

How does the E120 climb? My 2005 Marin MV is a little wallowy compared to an all out XC frame but I love that you can just sit down and put the power down knowing it will steam roller over and through anything. Is the Whyte along the same lines or a little more refined? Great going down no doubt too I suppose? 🙂

speaker2animals

I think that if I had forked out for a new bike, and especially if I’d laid down quite a big chunk of money on it, I’d be getting in touch with the shop and Whyte/ATB Sales. I’d have taken pics before trying to correct blemishes. I wouldn’t expect a replacement for cosmetic problems but would like to be offered a discount or some kit as compensation. I’d also be rather concerned about the long term service life of the finish if it is as bad as it sounds from brand new. I would also be flagging this up to Whyte and point out that I would be keeping a keen eye on the frame finish and how well it lasts. I would also expect that if Whyte/Seller offers you compensation that they may well expect you to wave any right of complaint for future warranty claims.

Best of luck and I hope the issue does not spoil your enjoyment too much.

SimonPinson

My 146 rides excellent, plush and pert. I had a Whyte 19 carbon hard tail before and miss the rigid acceleration but am learning to sit down and just mash the pedals while the shock does it’s business.

It took a bit of tweaking but got the shock set up to my style of riding after initially thinking it was a bit wollowy. Lovinit.

gb1m
    Free Member

Thanks tumnurkoz, puts my mind at rest abit allthough I have just found a crack around the badge on the headtube. I think its in the paint but not sure

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I think the 69deg seat angle makes it feel slightly different. I sit fwd on the saddle a little on the ups. It will steamroller but it also feels light too, great combination imho. Going down/across/over-mint! It smoothed out the cobbly bits at dalby really well. It’s not wallowy at all. If the 146 has that many issues i think speaker’s right, it may (for peace of mind if nothing else) be worth contacting someone. Apart from that, ride it like mad!

gb1m
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike but not sure what I’m going todo.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Damn, that’s nice! I think they put a very heavy cosmetic coat on the actual structure and any blemish (should) be purely cosmetic. Take advice from the Retailer if you’r still not happy for peace of mind.

gb1m
    Free Member

I might been a bit fussy and it will be ridden proper hard and will know doubt be picking plenty of scars as my enduro had, but shelling out 3k for a bike i was expecting a new bike finish, I mean specialized can do it even right down to my sons Hotrock which cost me £150.

grtdkad

GB – send those pics across to the chaps at Whyte.
    I ride a 19C – I don’t think that your experience is typical of their output and on day-1 I would suggest that you should expect your £3k bike to be pristine.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

I’ve seen carbon layups in complex forms without resin and they are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination! (140+ in the swingarm alone?!) I’m ok with mine now, but like you i raised an eyebrow when i first noticed imperfections. I’d like to hear their explanation though.

gb1m
    Free Member

I’m going to take it back to the shop tomorrow for them too have a look, on closer inspection of the head tube its not a crack its drips in the lacquer . I also have the mobile number of one of the directors at ATB and will let him and Whyte know.
    The thing is I really don’t want to give it back, ideally I would want a new frame as most bike manufactures would do but seeing as they can’t get enough supply of them for sale I doubt that going to happen.
    So the other options are,1: ask for a reverb post as compensation and cover up the bad parts with stickers or 2: get my money back and get an orange five. 😕

I don’t think I’m going to get much sleep tonight.

althepal

Lovely bike, but I wouldn’t be happy if it wasn’t pristine on pick up day!
    Why would u want a five tho? (sits back awaiting the inevitable)

Bregante

Why would u want a five tho? (sits back awaiting the inevitable)

what did you go and do that for?? 😉

Nice bike BTW

gb1m
    Free Member

I test rode one while I was waiting for this, and yes they aren’t the the best looking but boy they don’t half go down hills well, especially as I live on the edge of the peaks where we got lots of rocks.

gb1m
    Free Member

Well I took it back it back to the shop yesterday, they agreed with me and said they would contact whyte. I returned to the shop after work and the director from Atb sales ,Allen something or other was on the phone, the phone was passed to me and I had to endure a 40 min conversation of utter BS.

In short his views:

.All carbon frames are like this with lumps/dints in them and most manufacturers use filler to hide them. Whyte wanted to keep the weight down so did not do this.
    .Chips and imperfections are quite common on new bikes and they would have usually checked over the bike and fixed anything first, but thought that it was more important to get the bike to me as I’ve been waiting 3 months. (so its my fault)

Now this guy could talk his way out of a life sentence, he goes on and on and won’t let you get a word in.
    I wanted a new frame but am told that’s not possible because they don’t have any and that they wouldn’t replace a frame for minor imperfections. Okay, I was happy for them to take it back and sort the problems out but he then says that if they did that in would more than likely get damaged in transit leaving me further with out a bike. Right then what about a Reverb post as compensation… again no , they have no stock and will not reimburse me £250.

His offer is of £50 so that in a few years when its beaten up a bit I can get it repainted or I can give the bike back for a full refund as he could sell it ten times over.

Well there’s Whyte/Atb ‘s customer service for you.

The shop owner has offered to pay for the seat post because he’s had enough of the whole thing, so I took he bike home.

Today I took it to my other LBs and there is a lad there who used to work with carbon and his verdict is that there has been air bubbles trapped in the moulding and that the thing on the head tube looks like filler that’s not been flatted back properly.

So I still can’t make my mind up of what todo. My head says I should get my money back but my heart says keep it.

Bregante

Only you can decide but if it was me I would take it back and politely tell them to stick their bike where the sun doesn’t shine. That phone call would have put me off keeping the bike for sure.

gb1m
    Free Member

Just another point the lads at cycle store said in any such case they would offer a %10 discount . Spesh and giant would just replace the frame. Not Whyte though eh…. there bikes are just so well sort after.T**ts

leggyblonde
    Free Member

.All carbon frames are like this with lumps/dints in them and most manufacturers use filler to hide them.

what a load of crap. I’ve got a clear laquered carbon Giant and it is seriously smooth with no chance of hiding filler. I’ve seen many other perfect looking unpainted carbon frames too. If you hadn’t already messed about with T-cut I would have said send it back for and insist on a respray if they don’t have another frame in stock, or £200 to cover getting it done yourself. As it is, you will probably have to be happy with the £50 from the LBS owner safe if the knowledge that after a few hours riding it will start to get chipped anyway.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Oh dear…

tony24
    Free Member

Has the guy actually contacted whyte? My friend just got a brand new frame because of tiny air bubbles in the laquere. Seems the guy you spoke to is just being a bit of a arse.

jimjam
    Free Member

.All carbon frames are like this with lumps/dints in them and most manufacturers use filler to hide them.

leggyblonde
    what a load of crap. I’ve seen many other perfect looking unpainted carbon frames too

When you start scrutinizing the finish on brand new high end bikes you get used to seeing some pretty shoddy quality. Probably more common on boutique brands and lower volume frames. Carbon Santa Cruz’s for example are often woeful when you look closely.

To the OP, it’s bound to be a bit annoying that it’s not “perfect”, but, you’ve waited an age for it and at the end of the day it’s a mountainbike. If it was mine the paint would be pretty much ruined in 6 months.

If it was a spesh or a giant you’d probably get a new frame if you kicked up a fuss because they’ve got thousands of them. If Whyte were in a position to do so they probably would but, being a relatively small company with a seriously hot product they probably can’t. Demand has way outstripped supply because plenty of people have realised it’ll be a weapon.

You could give it back and get something else but the 146 has perfect geometry, killer looks and is feather weight. It’s probably one of the rarest most sought after bikes around and I’m sure it’ll be awesome to ride. You’d kind of be cutting your nose off to spite your face by giving it back because of something cosmetic imo.

Out of curiosity did you pay full rrp for it?

gb1m
    Free Member

Bregante – I’m with you there but its goin to be so hard to give it back.

leggyblonde – your right , I inspected Giants , lapierre and spesh s work and all were near perfect although the spesh did have a small dint in the top tube. Oh and Giant apparently do the best carbon frames according to cycle store.

I gone all over this 146 and there’s lots of small bumpd/dints. Its been rushed in manufacture. The shop I got it from has been pretty good in all fairness and as I said offered to pay for the Reverb post out of his profits to get some closure on the whole thing. I still think that whyte /abt should be paying £300 min.

gb1m
    Free Member

tony24 was this on a whyte frame and if so which 1

nickegg
    Free Member

Whyte won’t replace it because they can’t! There are bugger all 146’s available.

As a dealer we got 2!!

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Just had a thought, the swingarm on my E5 looked perfect, yet it cracked. The shop warranty returned it with no aggro at all 🙂 i’m not worrying about the E120.

gb1m
    Free Member

Yes jimjam I paid full rrp, and I know what your saying , I know I’m not going to get a replacement because there arn’t any but surly a %10 discount or take it back and sort the paint work is not to much to ask on a £3k bike.

gb1m
    Free Member

So if it did crack like tumnurkoz did , what would they do? They can’t give me a new one.

nickegg
    Free Member

Credit the dealer and you get a refund?

In my experience, ATB Sales customer service is superb. They work hard to sort problems as and when they arise.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Whyte are ordinarily awesome at everything – believe me, we usually deal with some pretty diabolical folk in this trade and Whyte are a pleasure.

With the 146 they’ve been a mess however, and I’ve spat my dummy out a few times with them. The bikes are absolutely amazing though.

With regard to Reverb, I gave one away with the 146S bikes I sold but it’s generated no loyalty at all so I’ve learnt my lesson on that one!

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

They should have them rolling out quicker sooner or later, by that time any real faults may have manifested themselves. like nickegg said, ATB sales were good with me. You still have a great looking bike gb and it’ll ride great. You won’t see it under the mud/dust.

flyingfox
    Free Member

Whyte are ordinarily awesome at everything – believe me, we usually deal with some pretty diabolical folk in this trade and Whyte are a pleasure.

With the 146 they’ve been a mess however, and I’ve spat my dummy out a few times with them. The bikes are absolutely amazing though.

With regard to Reverb, I gave one away with the 146S bikes I sold but it’s generated no loyalty at all so I’ve learnt my lesson on that one!

gb1m
    Free Member

Out of interest Nickegg and flingfox, what were the 146’s you had like? were they like mine finish wise?

jimjam
    Free Member

gb1m

I know what your saying , I know I’m not going to get a replacement because there arn’t any but surly a %10 discount or take it back and sort the paint work is not to much to ask on a £3k bike.

You’re entitled to something yes, and if the dealer is gonna give you a reverb that’s decent of them. Don’t forget you’re asking for 10% off the retail and that’s a precedent they probably don’t want to set. With hurried production and a massive back log yours is probably not the only frame with cosmetic defects. ATB would be taking a big hit at £300 quid off the unit cost of every bike.

I would second what others have said about ATB too, good backup and Alan is a top bloke.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

No problems with Zesty carbon frame. No air bubbles or finger marks. I would contact Whyte direct. It don’t bode well for future suppry? I liked the look of the new Whyte to.

gb1m
    Free Member

tumnurkoz – I can’t wait to ride it .The angles look awesome its sat here in the kitchen with me with no pedals on. I know its goin to look second hand soon enough ( I dinted my enduro on first outing) but its in principled really that I payed for a new bike and the one I got is a bit shoddy.

tony24
    Free Member

yes whyte changed the frame for free it was a carbon whyte 19 they gave him the brand new team frame for his 3 year old 1.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 146s’ is closed to new replies.