Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Whyte 146s – issues
  • KevinPP
    Free Member

Made in China I believe. And I’ve not heard of any failures. I think it was a particular batch that have had this problem around the BB area.

BigSteve
    Free Member

So ALL of the issues above have been cosmetic and not structural? How can you tell the difference, though? Or is that the point? If you see a crack you can’t tell and have to get a replacement in case it’s structural?

I don’t think a warped rear triangle or blown brake seals could be classed as cosmetic!!!

hora
    Free Member

monkeycmonkeydo – Member
    My Carrera Banshee X has only ever had a punture out and about.£580 three years ago.I dont know why you Guys bother with these chocolate ego boost machines.

Jesus you have form. Googling about Whyte,s I remembered the name. Sad troll.

dios27

Just got my 146 Works back after ATB built up the replacement frame. After discussing the low BB height they also changed the lower link to a shorter one which raises the bike, and a ceramic bearing as way of apology.
    I was told that their carbon frame manufacturer is the same as Trek & Specialized use, but because Whyte have minimal purchasing clout compared to them they’ve been forced to wait.
    First ride will be this weekend now so I’ll see if it’s appreciably stiffer.

speedconcept
    Free Member

Had a 146 Works just over a year 4th set of BB required rear freehub bearings replaced Headset replaced Junked the Sram and avid, fitted Hope and xtr. BB bearing are now Rotor but still letting in Mud. My old Halfords GT is a much better build. Shame its such a nice bike to ride.For a bike that is designed for British Climate it`s a joke.
    Plenty of mud clearance shame the bike wont last a ride out.

wwaswas

All those things you are complaining about arentvspecific to Whyte bikes though?

DickBarton

Still problem-free biking from my 146s. Love it!

Only posting this to let others know that it isnt all doom & gloom.

br
    Free Member

Had a 146 Works just over a year 4th set of BB required rear freehub bearings replaced Headset replaced Junked the Sram and avid, fitted Hope and xtr. BB bearing are now Rotor but still letting in Mud. My old Halfords GT is a much better build. Shame its such a nice bike to ride.For a bike that is designed for British Climate it`s a joke.
    Plenty of mud clearance shame the bike wont last a ride out.

What BB are you buying if you are on your 4th? My Hope is 3 years old and ridden 2-3 times a week.

hodgy7869
    Free Member

I have a “crack” which has appeared on the top tube and the seat tube…..LBS have said it’s a scratch but it’s not like a scratch as it’s not straight.

My confidence in the bike has been knocked again. First the BB beariings went which I paid for, the steering all but seized and was fixed under warranty, the rear swing arm moves from side to side which resulted in me having to pay for labour to have the suspension bearings replaced “under warranty” warranty should included labour…….and now the crack appearing.

I had an EX8 previously and it cost me a service in the 4 years I owned it….bullet proof.

My 146S Whyte, in 10 months, has cost me £120 in labour so far…..

cb

hodgy – why pay for labour then? You do have the power to insist on a certain level of service. Change your lbs…

soulboy
    Free Member

Had 146X since they came out and overall very impressed. I’ve had minor problems: E13 BB bearings didn’t last long and front bearings in the Easton Havens went too. Stock tyres are pretty good, but now replaced with Schwalbe Hans Dampf front and Nobby Nic rear and it feels much more secure when pointing downhill. No frame problems.
    The bike is very impressive in that it is light, so climbs well, yet has the suspension travel to compliment my meagre skills and cowardice on the way down. It was a delight to take on Pass’portes du Soleil last year and I have no yearnings for anything else in a trail bike. Most reviews talk about flexible frames, but the testers must push the limits more than average riders, because it feels as if it’s on rails. BB height is low and pedals can contact on climbs, especially in ruts. 1×10 chainset is a good idea if you’re light and fit enough to push a 34×36 up steep climbs, otherwise a double would be a better idea, in my view. All in all, it’s a great bike.

hodgy7869
    Free Member

cb – I went in and had a chat yesterday, email sent to ATB with pics and new frame is on its way. I am saving the labour conversation for when I get the next bike………it’s been a good bargaining tool so far. They said it was a scratch on the paintwork last Thursday…7 days on and it’s a new frame.

I agree with what you say re: try another LBS but they are local and convenient….so that does have “value” to me.

DickBarton – how many miles have you done?

jonnykyte – I know but it has still been a bad experience……

jonnykyte
    Free Member

I’m curious whether anyone has had issues with the 2013 / replacement frames? Mine arrived 2 or 3 weeks ago.

@Hodgy – Your frame had the same symptoms as mine. The ‘costmetic’ crack turned out to be not so cosmetic. Still, having a new frame in just over a week from diagnosis isn’t so bad.

hodgy7869
    Free Member

…..I had a moan today (pre-new frame decision) citing I couldn’t even sell the bike and buy a new one due to the crack in the frame.

It’s the least Whyte can do to give me a new frame…….I’ll stick with it for this summer but it has left a bad taste…….

DickBarton

hodgy, according to my tracking software only about 1200 miles in the 18 months…to be honest i reckkn it is more like a 1000…ridden in all weather and my skill is seriously lacking so it isnt down to ability.

hodgy7869
    Free Member

DickBarton – I’ve covered approx. 800 miles on my Whyte since May last year. I know the wheel, steering and BB bearings aren’t Whyte’s fault and it’s unusual for them to go so quick (even in the summer/Autumn weather we had last year) but it’s their brand so they need to fix it.

I bought the Whyte party due to it’s UK design heritage….mmm was that a mistake?

DickBarton

I had a Marin Mount Vision before this…it was also pretty much trouble-free (apart from a bearing change which was done by LBS FOC). I got the 146S at a good price and apart from changing the brakes, it was largely untouched until about a 10 months ago when I switched to XT mech/XTR shifters.

To be honest, I don’t ride it often enough, I’m sure if it wasn’t patchy rides I’d perhaps more issues (certainly needing to chain drivetrain bits more…not looking forward to new rings on the X9 chainset!).

The bike gets washed regularly – sprayed with some cleaner spray then hosed down on a spray…if I feel ‘posh’ I even wipe it down whilst washing it. The chain gets a clean every 3 months and it gets shot of wax lube every 7-10 days. The bike wash takes me about 5 minutes, I go get washed and fed, then about 2 hours later I lube the chain…it isn’t much effort, but it is done regularly…not suggesting this cures everything but I suspect my lack of use and regular wash and oil has helped keep it running sweeter than you’re example has.

I’m not a hard rider, but I am unskilled so I suspect I could be riding much faster/harder if my skill level was up, as it is, the bike compensates for everything…it’s amazingly good.

reggiemental
    Free Member

I don’t have the 146 but the lower model T-20. I bought in Sept-2012. After 3 days the rear mech exploded, after two weeks the rear shock was clunking after one month the swing arm bearings where shot as well as the bb. Also the forks were unresponsive, only to find no oil in the lowers, was bone dry. Today I find that the rear wheel bearings have locked up, no wonder I was struggling on the hill climbs.

This is my first bike since the early 90’s. I road Marin’s back then and I don’t remember bikes being this unreliable. It’s making me regret getting back into mtb.

gb1m
    Free Member

Worst bike I’ve ever owned . Had most of the problems as above.

The 146x frame they replaced mine with made those cracking noises. Was unbearable to ride and took them over 4 weeks to sort so I jumped ship.

Best thing I ever did. Get rid IMO, I wouldn’t go near another whyte.

hora
    Free Member

…and when its out of warranty or you want to punt it on?

I’ve never had a bike fail on me. If there was such a known issue I’d ask for a refund and want out. Imagine being at the other end of at your gnarly trail centres, landed a ‘jump’ and your chocolate talent compensator (apt) melts? 😆

Harsh but no one fancies a 10mile walk in spd’s.

BigSteve
    Free Member

If there was such a known issue I’d ask for a refund and want out. Imagine being at the other end of at your gnarly trail centres, landed a ‘jump’ and your chocolate talent compensator (apt) melts?

My LBS did take mine back when I declared the “bike not fit for purpose” nor “durable” as per the Sales of Goods Act. Must say, overall the LBS (other than the brake fitting fiasco) have been pretty good.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 146s – issues’ is closed to new replies.