Whyte 129S… or Kona Satori

Home Forum Bike Forum Whyte 129S… or Kona Satori

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Whyte 129S… or Kona Satori
  • Premier Icon Capt. Kronos
    Subscriber

I was all set to go with the Satori… but I have just seen the Whyte and it has got under my skin a wee bit.

Any thoughts? The Satori has more travel, the Whyte is a lot cheaper!

Anyone ridden either? I tried the 2012 Satori and it was a nice ride, and I know the Whyte is a 2013 model but I believe there have been some demos about.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

No experience of either yet, but will have experience of the Whyte next Tuesday evening.

Kona’s are always over priced for what they are too. The Whyte’s seem totally the opposite, and seem to get universal praise so far from those I know that have ridden them.

Whyte not available til December though, which is a shame, as I could probably have sold 2 a week for the last few weeks based on hype alone!

Premier Icon Capt. Kronos
    Subscriber

I can live with waiting if needs be to be honest.

The Kona was looking reasonable value for what you get – Fox 34 up front, Crank Bros uppy downy post… and a great ride… for £2899. Compared to Cube/Scott it was good.

But that Whyte is £900 cheaper! The fork and shock are perhaps less “good”, and it has less travel… but it looks really rather nice!

It has thrown a spanner in the works!

Be interested to hear how you get on with it on Tuesday.

bonesetter

A bike which has recently given me great joy is the ti Kona Raijin.

29er, short CS, beautiful flexy all in the right places frame, which all gives a lively and agile feel. It’s totally gorgeous.

It cost £1100 and is bargain

Whyte have gone cheapish on price, but also are new to 29. Their heart is in the right place, but I would recommend a demo

Subscriber

Got to say I am swaying towards the Whyte… it may be slightly lesser on spec… but it is £900 cheaper!

b45her

don’t forget to add £250 to the price of the kona for a reverb, the kronolog makes the joplin look like the pinnacle of reliability.
    i only know 3 people who have them and so far they have a 100% failure rate.

Subscriber

It is just the fork on the Whyte that gives me a moment of hesitation really… the Reba is bit low rent isn’t it? If they had popped a Revelation on there it would be easier… guess I could always upgrade a little further down the line though.

Kinda need to keep costs down as much as possible at the moment though and that really swings it in favour of the Whyte. That is a hellish lot of bike for the money.

Going to try and sort a test ride before buying, naturally.

Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

It is just the fork on the Whyte that gives me a moment of hesitation really… the Reba is bit low rent isn’t it?

I’ve got RS Reba 120mm forks on my Tallboy, they’ve been absolutely faultless, and slightly lighter than their Fox equivalent. Stiff too with the maxle-lite. Fox are not worth the extra outlay in my opinion.

I also agree the Whyte looks a stunning bike, it wasn’t available when I bought the Tallboy but I’d definitely be considering it buying now.

Premier Icon Clink
    Subscriber

Nothing wrong with the Reba – reliable fork that is proven.

Premier Icon charliemort
    Subscriber

What is the difference between reba and revelation? Is it travel or are internals different?

Have been running revelations for a few years and very happy with them

Back to the whyte – are the wheels tubeless?

Canyon looks really good value too – £2100 with xt, mavic wheels, and fox fork

Subscriber

Okay… well that helps with some alleviation! Got used to the Pikes on my hardtail which are stiff as a stiff thing, and worried that the Rebas may be a wee bit noodley.

Could be that technology has moved on a fair bit since 2005/6 though 😉

Subscriber

Ah ha – I think I was getting myself confused between the Recon and Reba! I do recall the latter being considered a decent fork, and on investigation it has Motion Control damping rather than the inferior Rockshox stuff 🙂

Still… probably look to upgrade it at some point if I go the Whyte route (which is looking increasingly likely and on finding that it was a substantially cheaper option it has achieved considerable approval from the very understanding better half)

Only things I still need to find out are mud clearance (should be fine I would think – but I like the idea of sticking a pair of 2.4″ Ardents on at some stage), and whether bunging a 140mm fork on in future would kill the handling 😉 Neither are really a deal breaker though!

Premier Icon sillyoldman
    Subscriber

If you ultimately want a 140mm fork, then go for a Satori as it’s built around one. You’d need to spend a lot to get a 140mm 29’er fork for the Whyte anyway.

Subscriber

It isn’t that important – just I am used to the 140 Pike. I may not miss it once I start riding (hence why I want to get a test ride if I can).

Mud clearance is more of an issue, but Whyte tend to be pretty good on that front.

Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

I doubt you’ll need to go to 140mm on the Whyte. My 29er Tallboy with 120/100mm front/rear copes just as well 99% of tge time as my previous Yeti 575 with nearly 6″ travel 😉

Subscriber

See – now that is exactly the reply I needed… I just sold my Yeti 575 and this will be it’s replacement 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 129S… or Kona Satori’ is closed to new replies.