Why’s my front brake howling?

• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by  PJay.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Why’s my front brake howling?
  • PJay

I’ve been riding my Swift (as a slightly portly gravel bike) for about a year with an MRP Rock Solid carbon/aluminium fork. A few weeks back I swapped this fork out for a set of Singular’s own Swift forks and ever since have acquired a howling front brake (the rotor was cleaned and new pads installed in case anything got contaminated during the swap over, but without success).

The thing is, it’s quite specific. The brakes seem fine in normal use, but at the bottom of a long road descent (coming out of the Mendips) I get 3 or 4 banshee like howls (with fairly gentle application of the brake) before everything settles down again (possibly heat related?). The brakes are old SLX M765s bought in January 2016 and are running Shimano resin pads; the rotor is a SRAM Centerline 180mm. The front calliper was previously fitted post mount via an 180mm adapter and now sits on an IS-PM 180mm adapter on the Swift forks; there doesn’t seem to be any lack of power & everything’s tightened up correctly (and the rotor’s on the right way around).

I did wonder about leaky seals so applied the brake hard 15-20 times, then held the lever back hard for a while with the bike static (assuming that this would force the issue); there was no squealing initially but then the brakes howled coming down a couple of much shorter descent (where they’d not howled before).

I’m a bit at a loss as to what to try; if it is leaky seals (perhaps the fork change was coincidental) I’ll need new callipers but I’m low income & don’t really want spend if it isn’t going to solve the problem (I’d want to reuse the levers and have been looking at newer Deores).

Any thoughts?

Premier Icon Daffy
    Subscriber

It sounds like leaky seals to me. None of my 3 sets of Shimanos ever felt bad at the lever….well maybe the initial pull every once in a while, but not spongey, buy they all howled and they all lacked power until the howling had stopped.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Just put a brand new XT caliper on my old Yeti for my son and nothing would stop it honking like a peahen having it’s eggs stolen (trust me on that). Except, buying some cheap Clark’s pads off CRC and fitting them. Not only did they work better than the XT finned ones, but they made nonoise.

PJay

So it could be seals then? Perhaps it’s nothing to do with the fork change after all; Would Deore M6000s give similar performance; I don’t think I need 4 pots?

philjunior

I’m not saying it *isn’t* leaky seals, but have you tried putting the other fork back on?

Automotive brakes are heavily optimised to avoid squealing, the bike approach of just bolt a load of stuff together and hope for the best leaves a high possibility of resonances.

Also I would’ve thought that, if anything, a long road descent would heat things up enough to burn off any leaking oil.

Might be worth trying different pads to see- I had some that got squeally when hot and found the bog standard shimanos worked better and didn’t squeal, someone else has found different (with a different brand) but it could work (for the record I stopped using Clarks when a set of pads didn’t actually fit in my caliper, but if you’re fitting them at home this isn’t such an issue).

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

I wonder if it’s actually fork flex under brakes exacerbating the tendency.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Surely try the old fork on and see what it does? That’ll rule out either the new fork being the issue or your brakes.

PJay

And if it is the new fork, what’s likely to be the solution?

It’s an odd one certainly. The howling isn’t during the descent, but at the bottom, on the flat and at relatively slow speed, a few applications of the brake and it goes; it doesn’t howl under similar braking conditions without the prior descent – the only difference I can see would be the temperature of the rotor. Previously it only made this sort of noise in the wet. Sincere working the brake hard to try out the leaking theory it’s howled more readily. For reference, the steel forks seem a little stiffer than the carbon.

steve_b77

Does it only happen at the bottom of long, assuming brake drag free, descents?

Does it happen every time in this situation?

If so I’d say that the brakes are simply going from being cold to warm / hot very quickly and producing the noise, much akin to when you initially brake on a wet ride, you get the noise, the brakes warm up a bit, the noise goes.

It won’t be the seals as they’d be bad and get worse and worse as the oil builds up a fine film on the pads and rotor, eventually rendering them useless.

simonloco

Glazed discs or pads?!
    Try roughing them up with some wet & dry & clean again before refitting

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Except, buying some cheap Clark’s pads off CRC and fitting them

Organic or sintered?

PJay

Does it only happen at the bottom of long, assuming brake drag free, descents?

Does it happen every time in this situation?

Has happened ever ride with the Swift forks but never (despite numerous times on the same descent) with the MRP Rock Solid using the same calliper & rotor. As of yesterday the brake has seemed a bit more howly.

I may need to try the old fork again, although if it turns out to be the Swift fork I’m clueless as to how to resolve it; I’ve also got a different 180mm rotor I could try (Shimano RT66 I think). I’ll have a look to see if I can spot any leakage (the brakes are pretty old anyway).

It might be an optical illusion, but the calliper lots slightly more upright, relative to the rotor, with the Swift forks (correct adapter though).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.