Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 165 total)
  • Why would you wear gloves in Summer?
  • hels
    Free Member

It is a bit of a trend just now with the Yoof not to wear gloves. As practical as having your trousers hanging around the mid thigh. Gloves are for wiping snot and sweat away too !

Jamie
    Free Member

Gloves are shit.

Oh. OK, then.

*throws gloves out*

nemesis
    Free Member

A mate of mine always went on about gloves isolating him from the trail and other such. He slid along a rocky/gravelly trail on his hands after an off at speed, making a real mess of his hands.

He now wears gloves 😆

nemesis
    Free Member

Gloves are shit.

You just can’t argue with a well reasoned, evidence-backed conclusion like that though.

cookeaa

Christ alive four pages because Hora is confused by gloves?

I think we’re going to have to widen the scope for kitten slaughter perhaps…

edlong
    Free Member

A mate of mine always went on about gloves isolating him from the trail and other such. He slid along a rocky/gravelly trail on his hands after an off at speed, making a real mess of his hands.

I guess he was right then..

He now wears gloves

.. and has now realised that, when taken literally, isolating yourself from the trail is actually a good thing.

nemesis
    Free Member

😆

oliwb
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s been mentioned – but once chatted to a plastic surgeon who told me to always wear gloves….apparently they can’t (or maybe just don’t get good results) skin-graph on to your palms / hands and that it can take the longest time to heal.

Always found them pretty comfortable and just seems like one of those things that makes sense….bit like wearing helmets and eye wear now that products have improved so much.

hora
    Free Member

Ironically I had an off’ski on Saturday where I was riding sharpish down a trail, popped the front wheel off a droppy-bit and landed in thick mud causing me to be ejected over the bars further down the trail.

Heres my landing:

Its nothing to do with feeling the trail alive. Its the hatred of feeling enclosed etc. Just like when I was in France I hated wearing those pressure suits. Gloves feel damp/hot and heavy in summer on me.

Personal preference and managing own risk. If I could I’d go helmetless too but then I don’t fancy a root/sticky out bit of rock hitting my skull.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Gloves………………………………

What are they good for………………………………….

Absolutely nothing……………………..

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

As stated there are many good reasons for wearing gloves, apart from the ones already pointed I would add…they are very good for nose wiping duties and most important of all if you wear them during a few hot rides and you take you clothes off you look like michael jackson in a romper suit

DezB
    Free Member

*is confused by dirt on palm*

if you put your hand out your going break something, graze? How many times do you fall off with your hand out

hora
    Free Member

I was lying in thick mud and hard rotate/pull myself up somehow. Saying that I lay there for a while looking up at the clouds. If anyone walked up then they’d have thought ‘wtf’ 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Could you say that again neilwheel

thejesmonddingo

Hora ,any time someone walks up to you they think WTF?

Euro
    Free Member

Ironically I had an off’ski on Saturday where I was riding sharpish down a trail

There are only two types of crashes that happen in slow-mo. Really, really fast ones and really slow ones – the rest happen in real time. If a sharpish crash left your bare hands rash free, then not only do you not need gloves, you probably don’t need a bike either 😉

This bit is serious (and you’ll relate to it). Buy* some nice lightly padded gloves in a size that’s ever so slightly too small. Soak them in warm water and wear them out on a ride to dry. Once dried, they’ll fit like a glove and after a few rides you’ll not notice them.

* Troy Lee XC are a good example and pretty cheap if you decide you don’t like the feel.

bikebouy
    Free Member

neilwheel – Member
    Gloves………………………………

I say
    Sayit again!!

neilwheel
    Free Member

Gloves………………………………

nemesis
    Free Member

Hora, huh yeah
    What is he good for?
    Absolutely nothing, oh hoh, oh
    Hora huh yeah
    What is he good for?
    Absolutely nothing, say it again y’all
    Hora, huh good God
    What is he good for?
    Absolutely nothing, listen to me

Oh, Hora, I despise
    ‘Cause he means destruction of innocent bikes
    Hora means tears to thousands of mothers eyes
    When their sons go off to ride and lose their bikes

I said
    Hora, huh good God y’all
    What is he good for?
    Absolutely nothing, just say it again
    Hora whoa Lord
    What is he good for?
    Hora, he ain’t nothin’ but a heartbreak
    Hora, friend only to the classifieds

Oh Hora, is an enemy to all mankind
    The thought of Hora blows my mind
    Hora has caused unrest within the younger generation
    Induction, then destruction who wants to ride

Hora, good God, y’all
    What is he good for?
    Absolutely nothing, say it, say it, say it
    Hora, uh huh, yeah, huh
    What is he good for?
    Hora, he ain’t nothin’ but a heartbreaker
    Hora, he’s got one friend that’s the classifieds

Oh, Hora has shattered many young man’s dreams
    Made him disabled bitter and mean
    Life is much too short and precious to spend riding wrongly sized bikes these days
    Hora can’t give life he can only take he away, ooh

Hora, huh, good God y’all
    What is he good for?
    Absolutely nothing, say it again
    Hora, whoa, Lord
    What is he good for?
    Hora, friend only to the classifieds

Peace love and understanding tell me
    Is there no place for them today
    They say we must ride to keep our freedom
    But Lord knows there’s got to be a better way

Hora, huh, good God y’all
    What is he good for?
    You tell ’em, say it, say it, say it, say it
    Hora, good Lord, huh
    What is he good for?
    Stand up and shout he, nothing

Northwind

I wear them because what I like most about mountain biking is sensations of speed, and summer glovin’ happens so fast

imnotverygood

Personal preference and managing own risk

Who’d have thought it. Hora has managed to answer his own question. Thread closed.

richardthird

What next? Leg shaving vs. waxing?

nemesis
    Free Member

No glove, no love. I’d have thought you of all people would understand that, Hora.

pondo

What next? Leg shaving vs. waxing?

He’s a man who treads his own path – bet he shaves his arms first.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If I wear gloves it feels like someone else is doing it.

hora
    Free Member

Im trying to convert y’all to umprotected ridinh.

jonnouk
    Free Member

I wear gloves because i’m pretty crap when it comes to keeping wounds/gravel rash clean. Just recently I only remembered to clean an moto-enduro injury because of the smell. Oh god, the gunge.

I’ll still take the gloves off for the long slogs and descents I know are easy enough so I can ward off the tan lines.

julianwilson
    Free Member

This thread needs more GW.
    Also pittards leather palms are like gloves, but better. I wonder why they don’t they appear on more mountain bike gloves, since some folk apparently seem willing to part with the thick end of fifty quid for ones with synthetic palms.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

When it’s really hot and sweat’s dripping off my face I can’t say I ever really notice how hot my hands are compared to the rest of me. I wear them in the summer for the same reason I wear them the rest of the year. + nettles and brambles and stuff.

_tom_
    Free Member

You just can’t argue with a well reasoned, evidence-backed conclusion like that though.

It’s not an argument, just my opinion. I’ve tried loads of different pairs and they all seem to have the “saggy palm” problem where it all bunches up and slips around. Gives me worse blisters as well. I’ve heard gloves with just a thin leather palm can help but don’t see many like that around. Besides, I waste enough money on bike stuff without having to buy gloves as well 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Sounds like Tom has skinny palms. I always manage to fill out my gloves with my ample palm girth.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I still say gloves, given the amount of arm shredding I’m getting from brambles and the like, and suddenly hitting a fern invasion is a little less painful as the stuff whacks your fingers when wearing gloves.

However we’re only talking about a short period of time anyway, if we’re talking British summer. Give it a few weeks and it’ll be “what gloves for miserable cold, wet & mud?” 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I wear my gloves as my bar tape hasn’t any padding but my mitts do and the snot wipe gets lots of use, MTB gloves protect from brambles etc and snot wipe essential, also the amount of time I come a cropper on my mtb and gloves saved my hands I wouldn’t ride without. Stupid question really OP!

NYC101009

mallorcadave
    Free Member

The best think about this thread is that its just saved me from watching another episode of corrie!
    Tuck and roll? You’re having a giraffe!
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucmLKkmy5E8[/video]

hora
    Free Member

Jonnouk I sliced my finger to the bone – washed it in the sink, sellotaped it up then continued taking down the greenhouse (large pane had slid down the runners onto my angled finger. Two days later my neighbour pointed out the bad smell when I bumped into her in the supermarket… 🙂

onewheelgood

I once fell off my motorbike when I wasn’t wearing gloves. Having the grit scrubbed out of the ragged remains of my palms is something I’ll never forget, nor the 3 weeks of having my hands in plastic bags full of burn cream. And then the 6 months of being unable to hold a pint glass because without fingerprints they just slip through your fingers. I know at bicycle speeds the effect might be less severe, but even at 1/4 as bad I don’t think I want to repeat the experience.

spooked
    Free Member

Left glove for wiping snot. Right glove for sweat. Palms for a bit of protection of I fall off.

Always get my left and right confused. Damn.

hora
    Free Member

Err on a road bike I wouldnt fancy sliding down the road on my palms nevermind my lycra clad-ass.

On a motorbike its a no brainer.

Tarmac is one dimensional and a cheese grater.

benji
    Free Member

Once dried, they’ll fit like a glove

Which being a glove is what they surely should do? 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘Why would you wear gloves in Summer?’ is closed to new replies.