Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)
  • Why would you wear gloves in Summer?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hora just because i am not poor like you and can buy frames and forks 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Someone told me you had a boot full of forks once. I LOL’d when I heard that 🙂

fathomer

Why ask a question and constantly discount all the replies, guess you know better 😀

deadkenny
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Even if you KNOW you are going to go over the bars? That IS like slow-mo.

My last one was “oh shit!” and by the time that thought went through my brain, I was on the deck already. Given OTB into a drop, and having had a very nasty accident landing on my head before, I guess instinct put my hands out. I didn’t decide to do that, it just happened. Fractured two fingers.

But back to the original point, regardless of landing on the things and potential of stripping layers of skin off, like others it’s the combination of sweaty palms and what becomes sticky rubber on the grips. It’s just less comfortable. Plus my gloves have a small amount of padding in the palms.

I generally won’t even go fingerless in the summer, as a) it’s roadie-gay 😛 , and b) Back when I used to wear them I often managed to catch my fingers on brambles and stuff and end up with cuts on the exposed fingers.

antigee

cultsdave – Member
    Why wear clothes, in summer?

Just seems daft. Have clothes ever saved you? Thorns would just go straight through and they seem more faff than what benefit they can give you in warm weather. Why clad yourself/take yourself away from the lovely breeze running past your genitals?

someone came up with the perfect answer for Hora early on and now its all just bickering

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Hora, I wrote this especially for people like you: http://magazine.bikeradar.com/2013/01/15/glove-is-the-answer/

jambalaya
    Free Member

In case I fall off or smash my hand into a tree. Both of these things I have done in the summer and have been glad of gloves.

As for clothes of course they too reduce injury in the event of a crash.

plyphon
    Free Member

I find I get longer out of my grips with gloves on too.

I.E: When the grip is worn down fairly smoothly, gloves still grip it fine whereas my sweaty hand does not.

plus-one

Sorry if I’m missing something here I’m a relative newbie on here(few years) is Hora genuine and all you guys are friends ? Or is he the new Dylan type(remember this guy getting flamed regularly) ?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

This-

really puts a downer on quite a lot of things.
    That’s why I’m quite happy to keep a pair of gloves on to wipe away sweat, gravel, snot, blood etc…

cchris2lou

I have vitiligo, skin condition so wear long gloves all year round, especially in the summer.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hora – i did and how was that funny? They were all the same and they are the forks that i have had for 8 months 🙂 They are good and appropriate for my bike/weight/riding etc oh and my bike FITS me 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

is Hora genuine and all you guys are friends ?

I think he is a bit like that old fella in the corner of the pub who everyone knows of and humours when he starts waffling on. You wouldn’t start a conversation with him but you nod and smile out of some kind of pity.

jobro
    Free Member

Rode on the dunes and beach of Saunton sands north Devon on Saturday. Was a real scorcher so I decided not to wear gloves.
    Ended up with sun burnt knuckles. Who’d a thought that was possible. Clearly gloves are always required!

Jamie
    Free Member

I think he is a bit like that old fella

He’s a bit like my old fella.

Promises so much, but delivers so little.

…and a bit hairy.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Ended up with sun burnt knuckles. Who’d a thought that was possible.

Me! I did a 6 hour ride a few years ago in road mitts. Took massive care with suncream but didn’t do the backs of my fingers. As such I ended up pasty white apart from the last joints of my fingers which looked like I’d grilled them.

hairyscary

People are different. Some sweat more than others.
    I sweat so much that I cannot hold onto my grips without gloves.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Or is he the new Dylan type(remember this guy getting flamed regularly)

Ah, Dylan… 😀

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Because without them OURY grips are a sweaty rubber mess.

With some nice light gloves, perfect..

Jamie
    Free Member

gonzy
    Free Member

i had my first OTB when i was 14…took the skin off both palms…still have the scars to this day.
    since then i’ve always worn gloves.

gloves do give you more comfort/grip and protection…picking the right glove will only make the ride better.

as for crashing i can see where Hora is coming from…sometimes you know you’re about to crash and in that spilt second get ready for a bail out and tuck yourself in but most often than not things happen too fast and you generally dont get time to prepare for a crash and you land with your arms flailing and to prevent serious injury your instinct is to put your hands out to cushion your landing.

Hora…i’m in awe of your bare knuckled hardness…we’re not worthy!! 😉

where do i sign up for the ritual glove burning?

motozulu
    Free Member

Got a good pair of MTB fingerless gloves for the summer. Light, cool, absorb sweat, Strava friendly, protect and offer sweaty forehead and snotty nose wipeability. What’s not to like?

DezB
    Free Member

I think I have something new to add!

Grips wear much faster without gloves. So wearing gloves saves money. Fact.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Gloves absorb sweat and snot better than skin too

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve lost enough skin from my palms from skateboarding and cycling to want to do it when I don’t need to. Plus, most of the trails here are overgrown and the constant slap of plant life, nettles and thorns gets annoying.

jam-bo

*awaits “what gloves for summer riding?” thread by Hora*

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Actullay to be fair Hora’s hands are not the same as the rest of us mere mortals..

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

*awaits “what gloves for summer riding?” thread by Hora*

quickly followed by “Oh no I’ve bought the wrong sized gloves”

hora
    Free Member

is Hora genuine and all you guys are friends ?

I think he is a bit like that old fella in the corner of the pub who everyone knows of and humours when he starts waffling on. You wouldn’t start a conversation with him but you nod and smile out of some kind of pity.

I think its more likely that 90% of STW are awkward and shy/stumble with conversation in a pub/social setting yet are active and lively on a internet forum.

Who’d have thunk that huh?

Jamie
    Free Member

I think its more likely that 90% of STW are awkward and shy/stumble with conversation in a pub/social setting yet are active and lively on a internet forum.

Yes. That must be it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I talk a lot IRL and ISTW 🙂

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

awkward and shy/stumble with conversation in a pub/social setting

Yep that’s defo me, stumbling about in the pub, awkardly…

Lifer
    Free Member

You’re all mad, I’m the only one that’s sane.

IanW
    Free Member

CBA reading the preceding bits but I rarely wear gloves now partly to reduce faff partly as preference.

pondo

CBA reading the preceding bits…

Then you, sir, have won.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I normally wear gloves all year round. As a result of this here thread I thought, you know what, the OP might have a point. So I set out today with no gloves as it was so nice.

Mistake. Not a massive one but a definite mistake. The nettles round here have shot up this last couple of weeks and some paths are very overgrown with nettles. And my hands got it bad.

But then so did my shins, knees and forearms. I’ll live.

_tom_
    Free Member

Gloves are shit. I ride way better without them, my grip actually feels worse wearing them as the material can move around a bit and not feel very secure. I only wear them in winter because my circulation is crap and my hands go numb far too easily.

jam-bo

shit Gloves are shit. I ride way better without them, my grip actually feels worse wearing them as the material can move around a bit and not feel very secure

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Buy some good ones then?

Euro
    Free Member

You want purdy hands? Wear gloves. There are pensioners with younger looking hands than mine thanks to not wearing gloves for years. Besides, gravel rash takes an age to heal – doubly so if you keep on riding.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘Why would you wear gloves in Summer?’ is closed to new replies.