Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 165 total)
  • Why would you wear gloves in Summer?
  • hora
    Free Member

Just seems daft. Have gloves ever saved you? Thorns would just go straight through and they seem more faff than what benefit they can give you in warm weather. Why clad yourself/take yourself away from the breeze/feeling relaxed etc?

Road bike- I can see why you wear mitts- for the extra cushioning on your palm as the bike is bloody rigid but off road?

If you fall off- if you put your hand out your going break something, graze? How many times do you fall off with your hand out? I see them as just another layer/something to faff and remember.

njee20
    Free Member

I find I get a lot more bramble scratches and nettle stings without gloves.

Don’t bother on the road though.

lowey

I had sweaty hands and find I can grip easier with gloves.

DT78
    Free Member

Stop thorns ripping my hands to bits and my hands sweat, a lot, and it can get slippy. Gives a little bit of protection from gravel rash should I have a dismount

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Absorb sweat, cushion hands if your that way inclined, prevent crash injuries like gravel rash etc. stop branches doing as much damage as the smash into your hands, protect you from nettles and much more. Or are you just getting down with the no glovz kidz?

nealglover
    Free Member

I wear them because the insurance policy for my Beaverbrooks hand modelling contract says I have to.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Get down on any sort of surface, gravel, Tarmac, rocks etc and gloves will do a much better job of protecting your hands than… Err… No gloves.

Cuts on knees and arms is fine, you can still ride, not a lot you can do with all the skin missing from your palms.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Personally I wear them so that I can grip the bars better than I can with sweaty palms. They also help prevent blisters and chaffing.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I try and avoid them all year round, apart from when it’s really cold and wet.

Oh and racing. Some people still get funny about racing without gloves.

timb34
    Free Member

I ride lots of singletrack through harsh vegetation. Without gloves I’d probably be down to the bone in about 20 minutes (especially since going to slightly wider bars).

cultsdave
    Free Member

Why wear clothes, in summer?

Just seems daft. Have clothes ever saved you? Thorns would just go straight through and they seem more faff than what benefit they can give you in warm weather. Why clad yourself/take yourself away from the lovely breeze running past your genitals?

Jamie
    Free Member

I had sweaty hands and find I can grip easier with gloves.

This

…plus, you never know when you might get a bit of trailside murdering in.

hora
    Free Member

Buy proper grips. I rode 4hours yesterday and didn’t notice any issues. What I do notice is the feeling of freedom and not having to remove a glove everytime I need to stop/get something.

Nettles/bushes etc- when I’ve ridden through close stuff before I’ve found that I’ve gotten nettle stings on my calfs but NOT on my forearms and the crazy-scratches up my forearms but nothing on my hands.

kimbers

Hora which one are you ?

[video]http://youtu.be/IcgHFqCFAJA[/video]

IA

not having to remove a glove everytime I need to stop/get something.

Why would you need to take your gloves off?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Buy proper grips. I rode 4hours yesterday and didn’t notice any issues. What I do notice is the feeling of freedom and not having to remove a glove everytime I need to stop/get something.

How about proper nice gloves! Can’t think of anything I can’t do with my gloves on.

v666ern
    Free Member

Can we change Hora from ‘member’ to ‘troll’ please?
    First it was 3 pages of a large bike being too big before he put a picture of his saddle on his bars now its gloves.

blatant trolling 😆

wwaswas

the feeling of freedom

I’m expecting the ‘ooooohhhhh Bodyform’ music any time now.

It’s gloves to prtoect your hands whilst riding and when/if you fall off ffs, not a strait jacket.

warpcow
    Free Member

Picking gravel and other debris out of your palms with tweezers gets very old very quickly. I’d prefer not to wear them but thye do a job well enough for the pros to outweigh the cons.

njee20
    Free Member

Nettles/bushes etc- when I’ve ridden through close stuff before I’ve found that I’ve gotten nettle stings on my calfs but NOT on my forearms and the crazy-scratches up my forearms but nothing on my hands.

Oh. That’s odd. I must be wrong then. 🙄

lowey

Buy proper grips. I rode 4hours yesterday and didn’t notice any issues.

I’ve rode for almost 30 years without gloves until last year when I finally tried some out and havent looked back. Horses for courses. be happy with what works for you and forget about what works for anyone else. More important things to worry about sunshine.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Top thread. Question asked and lots of sensible answers given. OP still doesn’t get it.

Just to add my add my tuppence worth, I forgot my gloves last week on my local loop and got covered in nettle stings and bramble scratches that I’d never had before when wearing gloves.

Jamie
    Free Member

I rode 4hours yesterday and didn’t notice any issues

I assume this wasn’t the road bike, then?

dannyh
    Free Member

A bit of protection for the backs of the hands and I don’t like the way grips feel with bare hands. That and the fact that I sweat like the proverbial big lass.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Cuts on knees and arms is fine, you can still ride, not a lot you can do with all the skin missing from your palms.

This. Early on in my off road riding I came off on a gravel fire road (flatish/straightish/****) and completely shredded the palms of a pair of gloves but my hands were fine. Lots of gravel rash on arms and legs. I’ve not ridden without them since.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the feeling of

Did you wear a kilt and enjoy the waft of freedom in the undercarriage sir?

Jamie
    Free Member

Can’t we all just get along?

faustus

Why indeed would anyone do something you don’t? Inspired.

Lester
    Free Member

to stop fingerprints?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Have gloves ever saved you?

Yes.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Why clad yourself/take yourself away from the lovely breeze running past your genitals?

But think how stinky your saddle would get with no shorts between it and your bum!

I wear gloves and have done since I learnt the hard way – even a thin bit of material does go a long way to protecting your palms from gravel rash etc. I prefer pretty thin gloves and they still offer protection from gravel rash and I can still get stuff out of my camelbak etc.

Pook

So when I fend you off I don’t catch herpes.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Have gloves ever saved me? No. Not unless you count nettles, brambles etc.

Why would I wear them? In the height of summer, I sometimes don’t. However if I’m doing a fairly big ride I’ve got some very nice Endura ones which are very lightweight and breathable which a) don’t really feel like I’ve got gloves on; b) protects me from the inevitable nettles/brambles etc at this time of year and c) don’t let my hands get sweaty/grips get sweaty/lose grip.

binners

Do you wear them when you’re rollerblading?

wallop

I don’t wear gloves to keep my hands warm.

Sui
    Free Member

sweaty hand syndrome, that is why.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I don’t find not wearing gloves any cooler in summer than wearing gloves.

It’s the same reason I wear full finger gloves on the road bike. The cooling effect of having uncovered finger tips is not noticeable.

rocketman
    Free Member

more bramble scratches and nettle stings without gloves

^^ this

binners

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

To protect my palms when I come off. How often do I fall with a hand out? Most of the time, it’s an inbuilt human panic reflex like blinking to keep stuff out of your eyes or gripping when you fall, you can’t stop yourself doing it if you truly don’t see the crash coming.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘Why would you wear gloves in Summer?’ is closed to new replies.