Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Why would a soldier accompany ambulance crew?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Our neighbour has just been taken away in an emergency ambulance. There were paramedics and a soldier. Is this normal in these times or indicative of a Covid 19 case?

mrmoofo

Maybe he headed up a local terrorist sleeper cell. Didn’t you ever ask him?

derek_starship
    Free Member

It’s a she.

Sui
    Free Member

quite possibly on the job training for medics, you don’t get enough exposure outside of conflict times to train.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I thought in some parts the army were drafted in to drive ambulances because of staff shortages?

Edit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55410775

spooky_b329

Yep I’ve also seen reports that fire fighters have been drafted in to drive ambulances

derek_starship
    Free Member

Suii a makes a good suggestion.

This is NWAS.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Definitely not a COVID related thing ie an army person turning up just because you have COVID.

We have had the army jabbing people in vaccination centres when we cant get enough staff.

toby1

A mate who is a volunteer fire fighter was driving ambulances for a few months of last year. Presumably they didn’t check his record for fitting his engine through tight gaps, I think he cost the force a few replacement wing mirrors!

So yep, they were likely the driver.

Sui
    Free Member

just to put some clarity on what i said, a lot of NHS hospitals will have army staff to get exposure, conversely a lot of NHS staff are Army reserve, and bring pretty much all of the experience from Civvy life into the Army and specifically when there is a conflict.

avdave2

To check on anyone who witnessed what was happening, they’ll be dealt with later.

derek_starship
    Free Member

The soldier was definitely not the driver.

ElShalimo

Maybe it’s cosplay gone wrong?

Was there a construction worker there or a motorcylce police officer?

Daffy

Soldiers have been working hand in hand with the NHS in various parts and varied duties in the UK.

tjagain

I would suspect training for the soldier. common practice for trainees to ride along with a crew. A 3 person crew is unusual but 2 plus trainee is not.

franksinatra

How did you know it was a soldier. Was he/she wearing camouflage clothing? If so, how could you see them?

Makes you think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

NWAS are using army crews at the moment for non urgent cases to free up the paramedics for the more serious jobs.

We’re filming the next series of BBC Ambulance with them at the moment.

There isn’t a “driver” it’s usually one paramedic and one technician.

chakaping
    Free Member

The soldier was definitely not the driver.

Was the soldier riding shotgun?

Cougar

Resources.

My mum had her coronavirus vaccine the other day, provided by two RAF peeps in full uniform.

slowol

If you ever end up in hospital in Northallerton you’ll see quite a few medical staff in green (army) uniforms as Catterick Garrison is up the road so the army medical staff work in the normal hospital some of the time when not training to create casualties for someone else’s hospital.
    I guess similar happens near other large garrison towns.

maccruiskeen

How did you know it was a soldier.

Very shiny boots

rOcKeTdOg

Army are currently doing multiple jobs in the hospital I work in. Apparently there’s a virus going around that some of the staff have managed to catch & the guys in fatigues are taking up some of the slack. It’s probably the same with the ambulance service as they are spread as thin too.

MoreCashThanDash

Maybe it’s cosplay gone wrong?

Was there a construction worker there or a motorcylce police officer?

Please tell me one was dressed as a very non-pc native American?

I kind of assumed it was common knowledge that Forces meducal staff spent a lot of their time with the NHS, and they were giving even more support this last year.

bearnecessities

My mum had her coronavirus vaccine the other day, provided by two RAF peeps in full uniform

Bingo Wing Commander.

(sorry)

tjagain

If the soldier was supporting the ambulance service there would only have been two folk in total. If there is 3 one must be a trainee and a junior one at that

onehundredthidiot

There was someone on radio months back saying that drafting military support into hospitals wouldn’t actually make that much difference because most military medics work in civvy hospitals anyway.

Freester

For trainee medic soldiers definitely part of their training is experience in the A&E dept at hospital. Whether that includes some experience in the Ambulance…? One would assume so.

sgn23
    Free Member

Training.
    When I dislocated my shoulder, the A&E consultant got all excited and asked if I’d mind a military medic looking at it, because it was a posterior dislocation and they are quite rare, but more likely in warzones. I’d been riding at Haldon Forest 😁

Whydot

In the South West, I believe the Army are providing drivers for ambulances as there are insufficient paramedics to go around (source: relative is a paramedic). They’re also using police and firefighters as drivers….

Drac

They’ll be driving, there may be ambulance staff because one is a student or maybe phased return following absence so working third person. Or the soldier is out getting some experience to work as a medic.

TomB

NWAS also currently have military student paramedics in placement (ie will be ext too ok the usual 2 person crew). They wear military uniforms for this placement.

rickmeister

provided by two RAF peeps

Angels 1-5, out of the sun at 500mph towards your mums left shoulder? Precision, or what!

jonm81

Training. Forces medics regularly undertake training and experience building within the NHS.

dovebiker

Medical personnel in the military are often attached to local NHS Hospitals to do their clinical experience as there are no longer any military hospitals to work in. Frimley Park in Surrey is an example – not unusual to be seen by a doctor in uniform.

Rich_s

Think it was Andy McNab’s book where he said special forces worked in A&E to get them used to the blood. Don’t think he was talking about the treatment side, but you never know.

MSP

It is normal practice to send a soldier when collecting victims for Priti Patel to feast upon in case the family tries to resist.

Poopscoop

Not just front line stuff it seems.
    There have seen soldiers working in the NHS lab where my oh works, I was surprised too.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m assuming we’ve ruled out the obvious thing that your neighbour’s actually an alien and they’ve just collected them to take them back to the special holding area.

dannyh
    Free Member

Training. Forces medics regularly undertake training and experience building within the NHS.

This.

But I prefer the Priti Patel cannibalism explanation.

qwerty
    Free Member

Sent to the front line in the cold war era.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Why would a soldier accompany ambulance crew?’ is closed to new replies.