• This topic has 52 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by wzzzz.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Why would a 130% brighter H7 bulb fail an MOT?
  • mattyfez

What’s the failure categorised as on the failure paperwork?
    That would help.

iamtheresurrection

Even that shouldn’t be a fail, Daffy, unless they are really blue.

The test instructs that for a tinted light, it needs to be ‘substantially white’; whatever that means is at the interpretation of the tester. If they are unsure, they should pass and advise.

Daffy

I agree. I’ve had them fitted since 2011 and my car has always passed its MOT. Then again, I always use the council MOT centres 🙂

Northwind

Phillips list the colour temp, they’re pretty middle of the road.

Cougar

I see what you did there

Northwind

No wonder, it was blindingly obvious.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

There is only one way on my car as well but if you are doing it blind you can get the retaining clip to fit with the bulb upside down.

CountZero

Not quite the same, but I’ve got some very bright LED sidelights, replacing weedy yellow incandescent bulbs, and nothing was said at my last MOT.
    I could do with some ‘brighter’ whiter headlights bulbs, I might have a shufti at the ones the OP is using.

bails

CountZero: I use Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EPLCPRG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473886734&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=osram+night+breaker+unlimited+h7

Definitely brighter and whiter (NOT blue by any stretch) than bog standard bulbs

munrobiker
    Free Member

I use Osram Night breakers too, they are much better than what comes stock on VAG cars.

Cougar

No wonder, it was blindingly obvious.

I see what you did there.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I put an older version of those on my Civic, seemed great at first but one eventually popped and I fitted the old Osram to get home. You couldn’t tell the difference. When the other one popped I shoved in the other spare Osram and ran them since. Dunno what model the Osrams were but the Philips lived up to their usual crap reputation for failing.

wzzzz
    Free Member

There is no such thing as a “free” MOT….

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Why would a 130% brighter H7 bulb fail an MOT?’ is closed to new replies.