Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Why won't you tube videos play on my iPhone?
  • organic355
    Free Member

I think I’ve got a pretty crap broadband connection, but watching you tube on the laptop with a wireless connection is no problem, but when I come to watch stuff on my iPhone 5 they just stall, play the first few seconds and don’t even buffer anymore.

Any ideas why?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

it’s a really poor app. All the reviews say the same. Not sure if there is an alternative though?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Watch them through safari. Much better. I never use the app.

organic355
    Free Member

I don’t think I am using the app, just links from Facebook/websites etc

GrahamS

Do you have loads of tabs open in Safari?

Tried closing all background apps? (can sometimes make a difference, but rarely!)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Watching from facebook is rubbish – there’s an icon top right to watch in Safari

Do you have the phone setup for your home wireless, no point struggling with 3G if you don’t have too

FWIW I generally have no problem with YouTube via Safari or the app on a 4S, what I would say is that Vimeo is a lot more reliable in my experience so perhaps its the youtube site.

MrNutt
    Free Member

you’re holding it wrong

timc
    Free Member

its a setting within youtube isnt it?

CountZero

Vimeo certainly loads and runs almost instantly, whereas YouTube sits there and buffers, then runs, but often the buffering speed is lower than the run speed.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I had that problem continually with sky, switched to BT and the problem has gone.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Just a thought. Doesn’t YouTube pick the quality – and hence size – of the video depending on variables such as the device? If so, maybe it’s trying to play a higher quality stream on your all singing all dancing iPhone 5 than the laptop. I’d be interested to know if you have the same problem with (a) someone else’s iPhone (b) on someone else’s wireless (c) on different laptops etc

My experience of the YouTube App on my iPhone 5 is very good, but I do have fast broadband at home.

wwaswas

have you got wi-fi switched off on the phone?

organic355
    Free Member

wifi is on, but it is Sky, had nothing but trouble with Sky broadband, not sure why it is so highly rated, thinking of switching back to BT.

organic355
    Free Member

Sat here at work, just played a video from a link in facebook, absolutely no problem on 3G (not connected to work wifi)

So defo think its a problem with my wifi.

GrahamS

wifi is on, but it is Sky, had nothing but trouble with Sky broadband, not sure why it is so highly rated, thinking of switching back to BT.

I don’t think BT is much better than Sky. If you want reliability then go to Zen.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html?isp_7=1&isp_21=1&isp_6=1&commit=Compare

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I don’t think BT is much better than Sky. If you want reliability then go to Zen.

I was with Zen for years, but when BT installed fibre in our street I (reluctantly) moved. Touch wood I have no complaints and find BT very reliable.

GrahamS

Fair enough – the wonders of fibre haven’t made it this far sadly so I’m stuck on ADSL – but I do get a very solid connection with Zen and they are very reliable (but pricier than other options).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Why won't you tube videos play on my iPhone?’ is closed to new replies.