Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Why won’t my (road) gears work properly?
  • wombat

Fitted new chain, cassette, cables and outers to my trusty Galaxy and I can’t get the bloomin’ gears to index.

Top and bottom stops are fine and I can get either the top half or bottom half of the gears to work spot in but can’t get then all to work together.

Any ideas?

Shimano 9spd if that helps

simondbarnes

Bent hanger?
    Cable clamped incorrectly in mech?

colande
    Free Member

Bent mech hanger?? From what you described that’s the likely culprit.
    Or check the mech, jockey wheels have play?or the mech pivot bolt seized? Couple of things to check out.

wombat

Thanks folks, will check those in the morning 👍

montylikesbeer

As above and check you are in the dropouts correctly as well

iainc

Assuming you haven’t done anything to knock the hanger out since it was working with the old bits…Id be having a close look at the cables, the seating of the outer end casings, and the routing into the mech bolt.

Sandwich

While checking the cables make sure the outer reinforcing hasn’t punched through any plastic ferrules in the system.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ve implied it’s not a new mech…perhaps it’s worn?

Suggestions above are sensible. I’d add checking cables aren’t too long or short but that’s unlikely to be a sole cause.

B tension and chain length worth checking too

wombat

Yeah, it’s not a new mech. In fact it’s the original mech so has around 10/12k miles on it, perhaps time for a new one.

iainc

Have you shortened the new chain to same number of links as the old one ?

Sandwich

Another though occurred. My Tiagra gears don’t index correctly if the rear quick-release is not tight enough, there is sufficient movement in the gear hanger that it needs to be just so.

footflaps

I’d guess one of gear cable outer end stops isn’t properly seated and there’s play in the system.

joat

Make sure the screw adjuster isn’t wound all the way out. It will pull straight in lower gears but moves to the side in higher gears altering the ratio.

didnthurt

Loose rear mech bolt or loose mech hanger (if it’s a replaceable type).

Tip:- replace the jockey wheels when you change the cassette and chain, they cost buttons.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Why won’t my (road) gears work properly?’ is closed to new replies.