Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Why won't my DSLR sell?
  • dribbling
    Free Member

I gather that there are a lot of people on here that enjoy taking a good pic or two.

I have my Canon 450D in immaculate condition at £250 delivered, but no-one is biting?

I really don’t know why – according to fleabay this is a very good price for one in immaculate condition, with less than 4k actuaions, all the gubbins and spare battery and remote?

Should I just be patient?!

I know that there are some opinionated Canon aficionado’s out there (Hi PetePoddy!) – go on, tell me what’s wrong!

jam-bo

So sell it on eBay.

Slogo
    Free Member

what accessories does it come with?

someone looking at a 450D is probably looking at getting into the hobby. so the right lenses, bag etc could help

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dobo
    Free Member

well it wasnt actually up for £250 a few days a go and you can get some pretty good deals on new dslr at the moment so that would be my guess.
    you dont even say what lens? SD card etc

stumpy01

Canon 450d is fairly old, isn’t it? Just thinking that people might be more willing to spend a bit more on a newer camera than spend £250 on something that is fairly obsolete. Obviously it still works & takes pics, but newer sensors will have lower noise, better low light performance, higher dynamic range….

Tom-B
    Free Member

Are you sure that its actually not a disposable?

dribbling
    Free Member

Thanks – it wnet on for £250 here today, previously £280 or offers.

Re: obselete; that doesn’t seem fair! It’s up with the current entry levels and for a lot less new.

Good point on people getting into hobby; my 400d went with no problems, but that came with a bag…maybe I should buy a bag to go with it, throw in the memory card etc.

Thanks. Rich

andyl
    Free Member

Tom B – Member
    Are you sure that its actually not a disposable?

The place he bought his “Canon 450D” from

😆

Sorry bud!

stumpy01

Dribbling….don’t take it personally. How old is it? Have you seen the improvement in digital body performance? I’ve got a d80 & while it works well & I am not about to upgrade any time soon, I am under no illusion that it is outclassed by newer bodies – my mate’s d3100 was the base NIKON body at the time he bought it, but will outdo it in low light performance, I reckon. Admittedly, it doesn’t have certain features but that is a marketing thing.

Aside from the lenses, buying a digital body is a bit like buying a laptop. Don’t expect it to be worth much in 5 years…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If something won’t sell it’s generally too expensive

I reckon £250 for a 450D is £50 over the top

There’s someone been trying to sell a 350D for £200 as well. Which is deffo over the top. A 400D kit with 18-55 lens is worth under £150 on eBay.

I sold my 400d for £135 with no lens but spare batteries and 3 memory cards and thought that was very fair.

£200 maximum for a 450D with kit lens IMO.

dribbling
    Free Member

Andyl – you’re an arse; I’m not responding to that. Ok, apart from that 🙂

Stumpy01 – Fair point; I have a mate who knows a lot more about photography than I and he runs a 50D with a variety of lenses and whips me with his photos. This is not for the value to body v lens though, just curious as to why a relatively well respected camera with kit lens and little use in immaculate consition isn’t gathering interest at market price?!

Re: laptop; I think you’re not being completely fair there – my laptops have been useless after about 24 months; this camera is 3 years old and works as well as the day it was born!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Given you can buy one from MPB Photographic off of the interwebs with the backing of a large mail order store if things go wrong for £229 – £239 I think you are at least £50 over the odds.

dobo
    Free Member

another thought crossed my mind that mirrorless cameras are hitting the scene fast now and many people that might of considered dslr have realised they can get dslr quality new for less than dslr and in a smaller package.

davidjones15
    Free Member

in immaculate consition isn’t gathering interest at market price?!

This is the problem. You’ve either got the wrong market or the wrong price. Simples.

stumpy01

It was just the first example that popped into my head, regarding the march of technology…

D50 or 50D? The d50 is older than my d80…

Even the 50d will be comprehensively smashed by it’s modern equivalent.

dribbling
    Free Member

Given you can buy one from MPB Photographic off of the interwebs with the backing of a large mail order store if things go wrong for £229 – £239 I think you are at least £50 over the odds.

That’s my answer….thanks. Rich

butcher

I’m not well up on prices at the moment, but a 350d, which yeah, isn’t quite as nice (smaller screen, etc) is not really much different and only a year or two older, you can easily pick up for £100.

On the other hand, for not much more (£250-£350 maybe), you can pick up a 30d or 40d, which is an all round more serious camera (and popular with the amateur photographers out there).

I think it’s just getting on a bit now, the 450d. Decent camera, and will probably make a decent buy for someone, but there’s loads of newer stuff on the market. And you can buy brand new kit for not much more.

footflaps

Ebay is a much better place to find the market value for a camera body, just stick it on as an auction, starting at 99p, and you’ll get a fair price for it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Why won't my DSLR sell?’ is closed to new replies.