• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by FFJA.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • why won't my chainsaw run properly
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

Needed to use the chainsaw today but couldn’t get it to idle properly.

Last used it August last year and as it had to go into storage related to a house move, i completely drained it and let it run until it cut out due to lack of fuel.

Anyway today i filled it, started it and it is ok on the choke and with the throttle open but when i release the throttle it struggles to idle and cuts out. If i reprime it i can start it again but again it won’t hold the idle, even when the engine is hot from running it with the throttle open.

The petrol mix had been sitting in the bottle (about half full) since last August so could it be that?

Don’t have a wood burner anymore, and only a couple of trees in the garden at this house, so i think this’ll be the last job i’ll ever need it for if i can get it going!

Any suggestions as to what to do / try?

Thanks

WillH

The petrol mix had been sitting in the bottle (about half full) since last August so could it be that?

This. Petrol on its own could well be dodgy after that long (the ethanol in it absorbs water), but if it’s mixed then it’ll likely be useless. Try fresh fuel first, and hope that running it with the old fuel hasn’t gummed up the carb jets.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Quick blow out of the jets might help.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yeah I find a quick blow sorts many problems

lakesrider
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll try some fresh fuel tomorrow. Was half thinking of mixing some fresh before I started today but couldn’t be bothered as I thought this would be the last job I’ll be doing with it!

If I had any idea how to blow the jets I’d try that too 😆

Might google it if fresh fuel doesn’t work

ninfan
    Free Member

Clutch gummed up with sap and lube and not releasing (hence stalling as it tries to turn chain at low revs instead of spinning freely)?

PePPeR

If you buy Stihl 2 stroke oil, it has a stabiliser in it to prevent fuel going off.

Modern fuel goes off very quickly indeed.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Try fresh fuel. If that does not work try screwing the ‘L’ screw on the carb in a fraction or until it idles smoothly – wear on ‘L’ jet over-fueling on tick over. It may be that your carb needs a service / new diaphragm kit which is easy to do.

FFJA
    Free Member

I had something similar with my Stihl. It would rev up no problem but as soon as you let it idle or started cutting it died. After much eBay searching I replaced the carburetor and tweaked the screws a bit and it’s good as new (25 years old anyway!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘why won't my chainsaw run properly’ is closed to new replies.