Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Why won’t my buttons work? (Flash website stuff)
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

Right. Made some beautiful buttons in Flash, for a website. Created the site in Dreamweaver CS3. All works, on my computer. Uploaded to a Geocities site.

Now in Safari, the buttons work. Rollover, click on, etc.
    Not in Firefox. Flash player plug-in thingy latest version. Link to page appears in bottom or FF browser, on mouseover, but won’t actually go to the page.

On other machines (friends checking it for me), the buttons look ok, but don’t actually work. the text underneath does, howecver.

In DW, I placed the button and text into cells of a Table. Selected the cell, linked to relevant page. In testing (files on my computer), everything works. On remote server, buttons don’t.

What gives? Any ideas? Geocities disabling Flash buttons?

Why does the page address appear, but the button don’t work?

Have I done something wrong in Flash, to begin with?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Soz, can’t post link to the site,as it’s part of work, and I’m not allowed to show to anyone unauthorised. Not helpful, I know.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well? Anyone?

It’s a mystery…

miketually
    Free Member

It’s broken.

Hope that helps 🙂

Spesh99
    Free Member

Without more details I don’t think I can help. Using flash to design buttons is a big no no in web design some reasons why- people like standard (HTML) buttons that have their standard context menus and the same behaviour throughout the web, Flash is a terrible when it comes to SEO, it is much harder to change links and modify you buttons later, uses more bandwidth, not everyone has flash installed (especially at work) this is not good for something as crucial as page navigation, great looking buttons can be done with CSS/HTML that in most cases look more professional than Flash ones. There are countless more reasons. For animations and similar flash content is great but otherwise avoid it. Take a look at Adobes website and even they don’t use it for any navigation or buttons. Uninformed managers often specify that flash is used

Will the flash work when accessed locally through Firefox.

flipiddy
    Free Member

You need to create an embedded link in flash itself, rather than an href link in Dreamweaver.

Basically, create a transparent layer on top of your button graphic in flash and use the geturl functions in actionscript.

Or if you have created the graphic actually as a button symbol then you need to just click on it in flash and go to the actions panel. The correct code will look something like this…

on (release) {
    getURL(“http://www.inserturlhere”);
    }

Then just call in the flash media into Dreamweaver – no need to assign the html hyperlink in DW if it is working correctly in flash.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Sorry, been busy toady.

Ok, so it’s easier to do it in HTML? I’ll have to investigate.

Bloody PITA though. My lovely buttons… 😥

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Why won’t my buttons work? (Flash website stuff)’ is closed to new replies.