Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Froome crash thread
  • winston
    Free Member

As above. Yes it was mentioned in a thread about the Crit but so what  That thread will now either evert back to what the op posted about or get totally derailed.

So we have any number of threads running on what stupid SUV to buy etc but perish the thought we might have a specific thread on the biggest cycling story of the month.

Klunk
    Free Member

it was odd, as it probably deserves a thread of it’s own.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Agree 100%.

damascus
    Free Member

I think froome deserves a thread of his own. This is going to be around longer than the race

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yep can I just say my spy skills were not good enough to look in an obscure race thread 🙄 + he wasn’t actually in the race at the time

Not good news being in intensive care

scaredypants

Not good news being in intensive care

Guessing here, but I reckon (and hope) he’s in intensive care as a post-op precaution due to surgery at multiple sites rather than massive crash damage necessarily.

Might depend on the country too (as well as the depth of pockets of the person paying) – in the USA, for example, they might put (well-insured) folk in ICUs who’d probably not even make it to high-dependency areas in a UK hospital . What some of these patients get is really “just” high-ratio nursing care/observation and of course a bit more rapid access to more invasive management if it comes to be needed. Nice thing to have but “we” can’t afford it here (it’s part of the explanation why death rates are often lower in their ICUs – all of ours are desperately ill; some of theirs aren’t).

Fingers crossed for the bloke

RustySpanner

Overzealous modding.

Perfectly legitimate thread.

ingloorious
    Free Member

He’s in intensive care because he’s had injuries that can kill you.

He’s a lucky guy, femoral fractures can kill healthy people if you get unlucky, and that’s before you add in the rest of the stuff he’s done.

Fingers crossed, but I’m not sure we’ll see him race again.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

As above. Various rumours on news page comments sections that mention femoral compound fracture. Hopefully just hot air but that might explain ICU and the length of time it took to airlift him after the event.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

L’Equipe reporting both Femur and Elbow were ‘open’ fractures. Horrific. Poor guy.

nickdavies

Yeah it’s a pretty big one. L’equipe say hip, femur, elbow, ribs, for a femur to break let alone an open fracture you need some major impact and there’s going to be a lot of trauma that goes with that. 8 hour operation to put him back together.

Apparently straight into a wall at 40mph – it’s not going to go well. Don’t think we’ll be seeing him for a while. Hope it all goes well for him.

Perhaps mods should alter the thread title to make it a froome thread, it deserves it I’m sure it’ll be ongoing.

tthew

Misread

Fingers crossed for the bloke

as ‘fingers crossed for the bike’ initially, thought that was a bit harsh!

Yeah, definitely a discussion that deserves it’s own thread, as it’s getting here. Not a massive fan of him as a racer, but those are a nasty set of injuries, get well soon Froome.

fooman

Some news headlines were particularly stupid ‘Froome out of the Tour de France’ – no he’s out of the Dauphiné and probably wont start TDF like that’s the only bike race worth mentioning. Hope he recovers quickly.

IHN

like that’s the only bike race worth mentioning

TBF, it’s the only one most people have heard of.

Anyway, sounds really nasty, healing vibes to the fella

Not a massive fan of him as a racer,

I think he actually brings a bit of excitement as a racer, he’ll attack up or downhill (sometimes on foot!), he’s not the robot that he’s sometimes made out to be. Wiggo, for example, was far more dull on the bike.

PrinceJohn

or a femur to break let alone an open fracture you need some major impact and there’s going to be a lot of trauma that goes with that. 8 hour operation to put him back together.

I snapped mine half falling off my road bike doing about 10mph around a corner… It hurt. Lots.

With all the other stuff he did at the same time, I imagine any movement would’ve been excruciatingly painful so it’s no wonder it took them a while.

bikebouy
    Free Member

🤮

brakes
    Free Member

I am SO glad there is no footage available of this. Just reading about it makes me feel sick.

Drac

Ermmmm! You’ve just given away a few too many personal details on your x-ray there.

freeagent
    Free Member

Keeping him in ICU is no surprise after an 8 hour surgery – he’ll be in there for 24-48 hours minimum.
    The injuries sound horrific, and could well be career ending at 34.
    Wishing him a speedy recovery, but i think it’ll be a long road.

winston
    Free Member

“Ermmmm! You’ve just given away a few too many personal details on your x-ray there.”

Prince John’s Prince Albert?

brakes
    Free Member

You’ve just given away a few too many personal details on your x-ray there

what he had for breakfast?

neilthewheel

^^ I fancy that might sting a bit.

faustus

It sounds like a hideous crash, and I imagine a long road to recovery. Aside from the big task of physical healing, i’d imagine the psychological impact will be felt too. I’d be descending very carefully after that kind of crash (i.e. about 10mph with brakes on). I hope he recovers well but I do wonder if he’ll be racing again, and if so then whether he will be competitive.

winston
    Free Member

I think the psychological impact will be more to do with if he is able to get back to racing full stop. If something you are passionate about all your life and that you are best at in the world is taken away from you unexpectedly like this….I reckon if he ever gets back on a bike competitively again he will descend like a demon….otherwise whats the point of putting yourself through the grueling recovery process.

trumpton
    Free Member

I wish him good luck with his recovery.

vincienup
    Free Member

There was a stupid comment on the radio earlier where the interviewer was asking the team rep if they were worried that with so many children taking up cycling now their parents might be scared by this crash and stop them.

I’m amazed at the restraint. I’d have gone postal about the joys of riding in the company of English drivers.

robertpb
    Free Member

I’m curious why the thread was closed I see nothing in it that could cause offence or legal issues.

When Mods do this I wish they would explain why in a closing post, just to stop all the speculation.

It’s either that or Wiggo is a secret Mod.

I also wish Froomy a speedy recovery.

TiRed

Having been into a wall at 20 mph (the side of a Mercedes ML shaped wall), come to a dead stop and broken 15 bones, I can imagine how he’s feeling. I hope he makes a good recovery. I personally think he is luck to be alive. Plenty of people have died from similar trauma – a cyclist died the week after my accident by hitting a tree at Swinley.

Heal fast Chris, and heal well.

nbt

As a mod on another forum, i suspect it was closed as a duplicate, as there was already an ongoing discussion (active at the time) in the dauphine thread

anagallis_arvensis

Compound fracture of femur apparently…..just glad it wasnt on film.
    Still traumatised by Beloki’s crash on the C4 TDF opening ctedits!!

handybar
    Free Member

Not sure if he will be back. Maybe if he was 24, but 34 is no spring chicken. Depends on the complexity of the injuries. But he is mentally tough so anything is possible.

butcher

I think he actually brings a bit of excitement as a racer, he’ll attack up or downhill (sometimes on foot!), he’s not the robot that he’s sometimes made out to be.

Agree 100%. As a team they might not always employ the most exciting tactics, but as an individual he’s as tenacious as they come. Great racer.

The injuries sound horrific, so before anything else I hope he makes a full recovery. And it would be great to see him back racing when he’s ready.

Although it appears that whilst he’s been in surgery, the 2011 Vuelta has been added to his palmares… Still winning races even off the bike.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

The least surprising of all doping bans in recent times. Cobo’s performance at the Vuelta was a massive outlier. A penny for Chris Horner’s thoughts right now…

This makes Froome the first British Grand Tour winner now. Strange days.

martinhutch

Imagine that. Waking up in ICU after an injury like that and being told you’ve won a Grand Tour…

Agence France Presse has the surgeon involved saying he could be back on a bike, even racing, within 6 months. Whether he’ll ever get back to his previous level, who knows, but he’s never exactly lacked determination in the past.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/831/froomes-surgery-successful-back-racing-six-months-surgeon-doc-1hh3qx3

markgraylish
    Free Member

The least surprising of all doping bans in recent times. Cobo’s performance at the Vuelta was a massive outlier. A penny for Chris Horner’s thoughts right now…

This makes Froome the first British Grand Tour winner now. Strange days.

Eh? Have I missed something?

markgraylish
    Free Member

Ah, thanks.

Back on topic…

Haze

Not surprised one bit by the Cobo news!

Congrats Chris and get well soon (not that he’ll be reading this)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Not a massive fan of Froome but I genuinely wish him a full recovery. Sounds like he’s lucky to still be here..

Drac

what he had for breakfast?

That part was censored his personal details aren’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.