Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Why tights and shorts?
  • jeffl

If it’s cold I wear bib tights with baggies over the top. Quite a few reasons why.

1. Pockets to keep my stuff in.
    2. Bit more protection from the cold and vegetation.
    3. Baggies are waterproof(ish) so I keep a drier behind. Although this is less of an issue now I’ve finally got mudguards.
    4. To save my colleagues from becoming too turned on when I commute into the office. To save my colleagues having to look at my cold wet arse, meat and two veg when I commute into the office.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I customarily wear shorts most of the year yet do this combo (bib tights actually) if v. cold/wet/windchill. Why? Quite a few reasons – in no particular order (some benefits discovered after trying it out):

Warmer legs
    Modesty
    No need for a belt now so more freedom of movement and no involuntary half-moons to sicken the rider/drivers behind me!
    Pockets useful
    More mud/spray protection
    More (minimal yet appreciable) leg protection including from pedal pins (I have various dark purple scars from repeat offenses over the years)
    Never wear the clip-in shorts chamois but appreciate the sewn-in bib one as it stays in place.

RustySpanner

Not for me, one or the other.
    Too hot in both.

Proper shorts (baggies, whatever), are fine for me over bibshorts for bimbling and everyday stuff, practical and hard-wearing.

But if I’m going for a decent ride I just wear bibs, long or short depending on the temp.
    I just prefer riding without them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leftyboy
    Free Member

This

Shorts are harder wearing the tights.

especially if you crash a lot 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I never where tights under baggies, but I sometimes put leg warmers on when it gets cold.

They are a lot smaller and easy to carry that some trousers or something.

This makes it look like I’m wearing tights under baggies.

Maybe something similar happening?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Baggies and leg warmers FTW.

You can just peel ’em off and discard them with all the clag attached at the end and fire them into the linen basket.

Just remember to wear them on the inside of your liner/bib short or you’ll end up looking like Nora Batty from the knees down.

tjagain

Mike – belittling others was not my intent at all.

chakaping
    Free Member

France is representative of ‘other countries’?

Some of the veteran French MTBers on the Passportes de Soliel are a convincing argument for compulsory baggies.

prawny

chakaping – Member
    Tights on road bike. Shorts and kneepads on MTB.

This is my stance also.

RustySpanner

tjagain – Member
    I saw loads of MTBers in France this year. Not one pair of baggies. Why are baggies not worn in other countries?

Different things are considered normal and fashionable elsewhere?

I can see the practicalities of baggies over tights for our climate.
    I’m not keen on a lot of MTB specific shorts, find them a bit overdone, but I’ve no issue with the concept and there are plenty of non MTB alternatives.

It’s the modern version of riding breetches and long socks, I suppose.

nikk
    Free Member

One good reason:

scotroutes

tjagain – Member
    Why are baggies not worn in other countries?

They are. Go and have a look at the Cube Bikes website (as an example). Not only are most of the MTBers wearing baggies, Cube sell a whole range

https://www.cube.eu/wear/variants/hosen/

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

France is representative of ‘other countries’?

Forren, innit.

BoardinBob

Nobody but my missus deserves to see the outline of my bouls and dagger

benp1

Cos it’s warmer than wearing shorts on their own
    Trousers get caught in the chain

I don’t wear bib tights though, just long leggings with no pad

funkmasterp

Baggy shorts and knee pads here all year round. Nobody I ride with wears tights. Shins don’t seem to get too cold.

Nico
    Free Member

The real explanation is “the pilgrim fathers”. Merkans get a bit funny about seeing the outline of a gent’s meat and two veg – hence no “Speedos” or exposed lycra. Xtreme innit.

philjunior
    Free Member

tjagain – Member

I think he was quoting me, but I was talking about myself, so I don’t know why he thought I was belittling others.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Jekkyl:-

It makes you stand out from the crowd.

Oh, and sometimes its practical too.

chiefgrooveguru

Regarding clothing function vs fashion, I wear MTB gloves, knee pads, shoes and shorts. All the rest is non-MTB specific outdoor gear like Helly Hansen and Brynje base layers, Paramo windproof/fleece, Mountain Equipment softshell, etc. Obviously I don’t wear stuff that looks bad (Brynje excepted) but the clothing is chosen because it works best. And I really can’t fault my two pairs of Endura Singletrack baggies that I’ve worn for the last 5 years!

Incidentally, the Paramo Enduro fleece (it’s a climbing/mountaineering softshell-esque fleece, despite the name!) is a blood brilliant winter MTBing jersey. Incredible piece of kit.

However some of my mates’ riding kit is colour coordinated with their bikes – and it doesn’t get in the way of them having fun and looks better on the sick edits. 😉

kerley
    Free Member

Everyone cares what they look like to some extent.

I care what I look like. I also think I look good in lycra and although almost 50 am in very good shape (not really surprising, I cycle a lot!)

However, I am very much an XC rider and lycra suits the style, i.e. I wouldn’t wear lycra if riding a BMX as it would look stupid.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned MASSIVE POCKETS as an argument for shorts yet?

When I exit the garage I have my backpack on, and my last act is to chuck the keys in my capacious shorts pockets as I leave. I use the pre-ride faff time to transfer the keys to my backpack 🙂

I’ll also take fashion as a valid answer. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to look good in what you wear. It usually translates into more confidence.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

i.e. I wouldn’t wear lycra if riding a BMX as it would look stupid.

Au contraire. Very much.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Lycra all round nowadays. Can’t be bothered to keep two lots of kit.

Also baggies just seem uncomfortable and unnecessary now I’m used to lycra.

mduncombe
    Free Member

Lots of different reasons it seems.

Fashion: Nothing wrong with wanting to look the part or wanting to fit in.
    Modesty: Not everybody has legs like Chris Hoy, especially if you take the uplift…
    Pockets: Seems like a pretty good reason to wear shorts over tights to me.
    Shorts are harder wearing: Dont buy this one, my Endura MTB unpadded, fleecy inner bib tights must be at least 10 years old, possibly older and have been crashed multiple times off and on road and are still going strong.
    Warmth/rain: The above mentioned bib shorts are warm and comfy even in the rain without shorts, and with them over the tops of my sealskinz socks my feet stay dry as well. No pockets though…

Of all of the above only the pockets has made me think about wearing shorts over my bib tights, might give it a try this weekend.

jamj1974

(disclaimer: I don’t actually wear tights)

I think you mean you don’t wear cycling tights! We all know the truth.

tillydog
    Free Member

Guilty. I find it a very practical arrangement – my apologies if it offends the fashion police*

I wear tough ‘baggy’ shorts most of the year but I don’t think the clip-in liners are very good, so I wear padded cycling shorts underneath for comfort.

It means I get pockets (for phone, key, maps, money), some protection against brambles, gorse and nettles, a comfy, easily washed chamois (and no soggy arse if I wear waterproof baggies) and I don’t have to wash my baggies after every ride – just chip the mud off, and they’re good to go again 😉

When the weather gets cold (freezing), I’ll swap the cycling shorts for longs (tights) to keep my legs warm. I occasionally wear long trousers over cycling shorts as an alternative, but they are a pain to keep out of your chain (unless you also use cycling clips, or tuck them into your socks) and I find the crotch (of the trousers) is more likely to get caught up on the seat when moving around on the bike.

*nah, not really – f*** ’em!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cos no one wants to see a middle aged man in a seventies spandex costume.

thebees
    Free Member

I see it like this – The default legwear for mountain biking is a pair of baggy shorts. Then when the weather turns icy a pair of tights is used as underwear to cover your bare legs. To ride around in tights only, is akin to riding around in your underpants.
    Roadies have a longstanding culture of wearing ‘lycra only’ which makes it acceptable, sometimes, on some people, as long as they’re not with me.

mcnultycop

Lycra as it keeps the chamois in the right place.

Baggies as they look better, keep the weather away, add a layer of branch and nettle reflection fabric and have some where to put stuff.

yunki
    Free Member

Practical and inoffensive solution for really cold days..

Not resorted to longs yet this year though

oldtalent
    Free Member

Roadies or xc’ers I recon. If anyone of my mates turned up in tights (ladies underwear) they would be riding on their own.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Only real men have their nob on display.

You pussies and your shorts hiding your tiny c*cks.

nealglover
    Free Member

I saw loads of MTBers in France this year. Not one pair of baggies. Why are baggies not worn in other countries?

Fashion ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tjagain – Member

If your default answer is “Fashion” (here and on the 1x thread) then it is a bit of a look down comment ie dismissing that anyone could have a decent reason for their choice and we are all just following the trends.

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Why tights and shorts?’ is closed to new replies.