Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Why spend more than £15 on a watch?
  • oldfart

Need a new one .For work going out (rarely) riding .Surely £15 is ample?Any bargains about like 95% off!!!!!

billybob
    Free Member

you need a seamaster – it tells the time.

It’s a snip at about £1000.

dr_adams
    Free Member

I spent £60 on a taser watch 4 years ago and it has had some amazing beatings and it still works wonderfully. The constant glow nature is kewl and i know i would have certainly have broken most watches by now for all the hassle it has been through!

thomthumb
    Free Member

why spend more than £150 on a bike? 😀

zaskar
    Free Member

I’ve spent all sorts on watches (Still have my titanium £1500 watch) but I enjoy wearing my £3 watch from Marks and Spencers for DIY etc.

Thing it looks good and is light and it tells the time.

I think it cost £15 normally.

I have kinetic watch I wear at work though and thats ace too.

Who cares as long as it tells the time.

I always break mine-rather break/change my watch worth £15 than a £500 watch.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Dear Mr Fart.

Do you really need a watch? I have been watch-free ever since I broke my luvverly Nixon one, and find it strangely liberating. My mobile (I presume oldfarts have mobiles too?) tells the time if I really need to know, or it’s an excuse to ask a pretty boy or girl (delete as appropriate).

Give it a whirl! You may never look back. And save yourself £15…..

swisstony
    Free Member

I got a Tag Heuer watch for my 21st which was 17 yrs ago, it’s been faultless and i wear it for everything incl biking, it cost £200 new and they still fetch close to that second hand now.

One that going to last will usually give the best value for money imho.

Oxboy
    Free Member

I second (geddit?) the Seamaster, gone up a bit though now £1070 for the quartz. Or £1800 ish for the Co-Axial automatic.
    Love mine.

Del

casio g-shock waveceptor solar. about 60 or 70 quid. it’s not jewelery. it tells the correct time, sorts itself out at equinox, and is powered by the sun. great piece of kit.

Oxboy
    Free Member

I also have a G-Shock for my everyday abuse, not the solar one but it is tough as ****. Doesnt keep the best of time though compared to the Omega.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Why spend anything on a watch? There are clocks everywhere. Your PC, your TV, your hi-fi, phone, even on your washing machine.. What a waste of time a watch is!

kiwijohn

Just had my old Animal “Surfers against sewage” fixed. It’s taken a beating in the last 10 years.

cynic-al
    Free Member

One that going to last will usually give the best value for money imho.

no s**T!

chvck
    Free Member

I bought a casio watch a couple of months ago for a tenner. Just wanted something cheap that I can wear all the time with a stopwatch so that I can get a vague idea of times on DH runs…also got the £1.50 insurance that means I get a new one when I smash this one into a tree 😀

miketually
    Free Member

We’ve got clocks at home in the living room, kitchen and bedroom. On my way to work I pass three clocks, so I know whether I need to pedal faster or not. At work, there are 25 ways of telling the time in each of my classrooms and two on my desk in the office.

Don’t need a watch.

Moses

My Casio must be getting on for 20 years old. It’s had 1 replacement battery, cost £12, and tells the time & is waterproof. DO I need more?

Pieface

I didn’t wear a watch for years, but then bought one as a piece of ‘Jewellery’ as I thought it made me look smarter / conscientious (I was young) but was also able to afford £100 to spend on awatch, and I’ve alwasy liked watches. Anyway, I like wearing it despite not needing to know the time that instantly.

If your budget is £15 think about what you need it for – If your happy with digital then fine, however if you want it to look smart I’d look at spending more, a £15 watch looks like a £15 watch if you know what I mean. At that price I’d just go for a casio / timex. You may get a Pulsar or Sekonda OK at that price, but if its for everything you do they’ll scratch quickly and look tatty.

chewkw
    Free Member

Never bought a watch for more than £60 me. It was Swatch all the way until I found a cheap Citizen eco drive military style from Argos for £50 + £10 metal strap.

samuri
    Free Member

I say this every time. I used to be a bit of a watch whore, used to buy big rugged touch ones that claimed to be really hard and were shown in adverts with blokes canoeing down waterfalls and stuff. They all broke, a good smack into a tree and they’re toast.

My wife was bored while we were waiting for a plane in Geneva airportand bought me a 25 quid swiss military watch. That was 6 years back and it’s still going strong. Original strap, two batteries. It’s got a couple of scratches but looks OK to me and keeps going which is the most important thing.

I do like smart watches though.

something like this at about 500 quid.

CountZero

It all depends. Yes, you can go without a watch, but there’s plenty of places where being able to tell the time is very useful and clocks aren’t always available; moorland, forests, mountains, etc., needing to know sunset and tide times…
    And yes, my phone has the time on it, but if you’re on the bike, in a hurry to get somewhere for a specific time, trying to fish a phone out of a pocket or backpack is a pain when all you need is to glance at your wrist. I have a TAG Series 1000 black finish with a luminous face I bought twenty years or so ago, for £250, which has been hammered unmercifully, the black is worn off the case and strap and there are scratches in the crystal, and it’s still working fine. I also bought recently a MWC G10 milspec watch with the Tracer T3 luminous markers for £85. Excellent little watch, keeps better time than the TAG, the self-illuminating markers and hands are amazingly bright, and it seems pretty tough. Looks quite smart, too. I’d recommend one to anybody.

wee-al
    Free Member

I lost my Seiko kinetic. I think i left it in a high school chemistry teachers bedroom. Thing is i threw up in her bra….she kinda deserves something for her trouble.

zaskar
    Free Member

You had sex with your chemistry teacher? Dude…

Samuri that is a nice watch!

woffle
    Free Member

samurai – personally I think that watch is awful – I don’t think diamonds belong on a man’s watch. It’s a slippery slope and before you know it, it’s all gone a bit, well..

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have 2 watches. Never wear either. Whats the point when your phone/pc/gps/bike computer/car/calculator/office wall/oscilloscope have one. And why pay >15? Only for the love of watches, no-one really gives a **** that it’s accurate to 1 second in 10 years, it makes no realistic difference to any normal human.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I find that I can estimate the time to within about 15 minutes anyway, but I still tend to wear a G-shock most of the time.

wee-al
    Free Member

Not my chemistry teacher, unfortunately i’m 29! I can see how that would have made for a more interesting story though!

CountZero

At work I need to be able to give estimates as to when a job might be finished, I have no clocks anywhere near me in the building, I have no computer, as I am running machinery, and my phone is in my pocket being used as an iPod, and I can glance quickly at my watch whereas I would have to break off from what I’m doing to get my phone out of my pocket then get it out of sleep mode just do do what my watch has already told me. Same as on the bike. I want an idea of the time to see if it’s worth making a stop for a drink, or carrying on and having a longer stop later, and a quick glance at what’s on my arm tells me this, when otherwise I’d have to stop, fish my phone out of a zipped pocket or out of my bag, to do something my watch already did in a second. There are no clocks handy on the Marlborough Downs, oddly enough, and I have no computers, clocks or other devices on my bikes, either. A watch is a simple device for telling time. Why do some of you lot want to complicate things.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Samuri – that HAS to be a girls watch!!

This one looks quite flash like a Omega or similar – but it’s cheap, will work fine i.e. tell the time, plus you could were it out like to a wedding or divorce court without looking too pikey

you can get it with a blue face too which looks nicer i reckon.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Get one of these.

Second what waffle said.

shoefiti
    Free Member

Oddly those casio’s were 7.95 when i was 10! they are still 7.95. They are horrible thou, and make your wrist smell. I just couldn’t were one now they just look crap – not that i’m particularly a watch snob, or a clothes snob, but i prefer the look of nice cut jeans in nice denim rather than some 8 quid ones from ASDA that kinda look like they are made of carboard and have fluffy white stuff on them – i think such an outfit makes you look like you’ve just been released from prison and been given 25 quid to dress yourself.

maxray
    Free Member

That’s what I’m talking about GNARGNAR! Quality.. 🙂

shoefiti they only make your wrist smell if you are unclean and sweaty do NOT take the casios name in vain.. 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

pahhh I mock your upmarket cassio rubbish, I had an Avia, in fact i had several of their £5 watches from Argos, and just like the cassio’s the straps fall off after a week.

Buy several cheep watches, I’ve got a blue one to match my suit, a metal one to match my other suit, a black one to match just about anything, a polar HRM for the bike/gym/weekend, none cost more than £30, and probably look better for matching what else i’m wearing.

Those casio’s are for people who ride singlespeed, they just try too hard to be individual and as a result fail and fall into a niche only justified within their own mind.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Seiko watches are great. I have Titanium one and got it from ebay 5 year ago for 50 quid. Best watch I ever had and its like a feather on your wrist. I would get one of the Seiko kinetic ones though that dont need batterys if I got another. You can get them for £100 from ebay. Not a lot of money really is it? Maybe just have a £10 watch for biking etc etc. Its nice to have something a bit nicer to go out in or for work.

traildog
    Free Member

I didn’t need a watch for years and you can guess the time fairly accurately anyway. However, my life has changed recently and I now find a watch useful.
    I had a cheap Casio watch when I was young and that lasted well. Eventually died when I got into riding though. I recently got a watch from Decathalon for 8 euros but that died very quickly. So I’m on the lookout for a watch again, and I’ve been advised to go for a swatch…
    I find the cheap plasticy watches make you sweat and so the comment above about making your wrist smell rings true slightly. However, you can easily replace the strap for a canvas one which you can wash.
    I still cannot see the point in mega expensive watches. You can get better looking fashion watches for so much less, so why are some of them in the thousands I still don’t know..

franki
    Free Member

I’ve been happy with the two Animal watches I’ve had. (Think they were about £80 each???) The first one had the velcro strap which was good for biking, but looked tatty. The missus bought me a nicer one with a stainless strap that I wore for anything other than work and riding.
    Some toe-rag stole my first one when we were burgled, so I’m down to one now. Had it for years – no problems.
    If I had to buy a new one now, I reckon I’d pay up to £200 max.

I’d never spend a fortune on a watch, but can see the attraction if you’re into that sort of thing. (As long as it looks like a functional timepiece and not an item of jewellery!)

coffeeking
    Free Member

They are horrible thou, and make your wrist smell.

You need to wash more often!

Dont think they look too great either. The nice fluffy neoprene straps make them look a little more acceptable but not exactly a “work” look.

MTT
    Free Member

If you want a cheap one, buy a cheap one. If you want an expensive one…

alexathome
    Free Member

I’m with shoefiti – as they are plastic they don’t beath and get sweaty, and if it’s dusty like on holiday somewhere hot you’ll get an unsightly tide mark of grime – even if you have just washed – mind you it won’t matter if your trying to pull on holiday dirty wrists or not the only girl that would think your a catch in the 7 quid casio will probably smell and have a beard.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I haven’t worn a watch for 20 yrs. I’m one of these folk that can’t wear them – they stop. Anything from cheap digital to battery powered mechanical to wind up ones – they just stop.

I have no explanation for this.

andywhit
    Free Member

Seiko Chronograph Ti from ebay – £100 and lovely 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Why spend more than £15 on a watch?’ is closed to new replies.