Why spend 100's of £ on lights!

Home Forum Bike Forum Why spend 100's of £ on lights!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Why spend 100's of £ on lights!
  • PeterPoddy

If I could afford to risk DealExtreme then I would have – just that amidst the rave reviews there were too many stories of failures (and I can't wait weeks whilst they get sent back and replaced).
    Just my 2p's worth.

How can you afford not to? Just buy 2. One in head one on bars. There's just as much chance of expensive kit failing and then the only thing that matters is if you have a back up or not.

If you don't like riding in the dark,don't do it.
    Ian

woffle

How can you afford not to? Just buy 2. One in head one on bars. There's just as much chance of expensive kit failing and then the only thing that matters is if you have a back up or not.

When I say 'afford' I mean it in the sense of I can't afford the risk of getting killed by some eejit driving his 4×4 at 60mph along country lanes at 4:30 in the morning. Yes, expensive lights fail but there is a huge difference in waterproofing etc between the Exposure lights and Dealextremes. Also, with all my previous lights, HIDs or Halogens, often a point of failure is the cabling, don't have that with either my Maxx-D or Exposure-Maxx (my backup).

Horses for courses, I'd just rather pay extra for what I perceive to be more peace of mind…

If you don't like riding in the dark,don't do it.

If this is directed at me – don't have a great deal of choice if I want to cycle to work. Have to be in the office and at my desk by 6:30am so it's going to be dark for 8 or 9 months of the year.

Peregrine – Member
    Night riding is over rated and i'm just not prepared to pay more than my bike is worth (04 Spesh enduro) to get a set of proper lights, its just not practical. Night running however is a different story, £40 gets you a decent enough light to feel safe running anywhere.

What makes you say night riding is over rated? Do you think mountain biking's over rated too?

Running's just shit full stop.

Each to their own though.

Gary_M

Night riding is over rated

I do see it as any different to riding during the day. If I want to still get the miles in in winter then there isn't another option. 160 miles so far this week – all in the dark. More a necessity than 'over rated'.

oldgit

Well I need bringing up to date. I spent £100 plus so I could have near on 1000 lumens and not have to change the battery during a 24 hour solo. Also a single light that I could run down and top up to my hearts content without buggering it up (one set did though!) waterproof, reliable, helmet and bar mounted and easily turn off and onable.
    All of what I take as the minimum requirements for a regular biker. So what's on offer from £0.00 > £100.00 that'll do that?

Sum

Oldgit, after reading your post I think I need bringing up to date! What light have you got that pumps out ~1000 lumens long enough to last a 24hr solo without a battery change? Lupine Wilma 10?

Grimy

I bought two of the DX torches for night riding. They've been fantastic for the money. They are very reliable and extreamly waterproof which we tested after droping them switched on into the ice bucket full of water for 20 minutes at a drunken party. Both bone dry and functioning perfectly afterwards.

Ok, the rubber lock blocks are a rudementary mounting, and they're a little heavy for helmet mounting. You have to pay the same attention to charging the cells as you "should" give any batterys, and you may have to change the cell after a couple of hours rididng, so there not ideal, but the cost of a product that mitigates these reletivley small inconvieniances is unjustifiable in many minds.

Yes I'm a bloke and I'd love a blingly hope4, or something more purpose built, but for the money you just cant compare the products. Certainly as an introduction into night riding before you splash out serious amounts of cash.

Would I trade my dx lights in for something like a hope or lumicycle if I could afford it? Hell yea

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

"Why don't you ride a £50 bike from Asda?"

Because a £50 BSO from Asda is terrible. But a £50 light from Dealextreme is very good.

The trouble here is that so many people are so keen to hold an opinion on something they have no actual experience of. I don't meen "here" as in this post or this thread, but here as in this entire planet, but in this particular case it's more obvious than usual.

PeterPoddy

huge difference in waterproofing etc between the Exposure lights and Dealextremes

Hahahahaa!
    It was water and crap sealing that finally killed my Enduro Turbo. A light 20 minute shower to be precise

I got a refund after that and bought some Lumis.

frenchie

Paging tthew would love to see the result of your DIY lights using the parts yoiu mention, any tips, pics or instructions available?

oldgit

Sum
    1000 on max, but 11 hours on a useable low so ideal for 12 and 24s it meant I didn't have to keep an eye on the time I used my batteries for.
    In fact I've never used max power unless it was to be silly.
    Niteflux Photon Max LED

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

So just to check, one of the reasons you spent more was that it can output 1000 lumens, but you don't use full power anyway?

(I spent £100 plus so I could have near on 1000 lumens)
    (1000 on max… In fact I've never used max power unless it was to be silly.)

daveb

I have one of the deal extreme lights that I use for commuting, it is bright enough to go off road without any problems but I also have some ay ups that I use for off roading. Why the more expensive ones – because I want the reliabilty and durability of the Ay ups for endurance racing, also sometimes my night rides last for 3 – 4 hours and I dont want to be bothered with switching batteries near the end of my ride. Also when it comes down to it I just like the whole Ay Up setup, so dont mind that they cost more.

Anyway – does it really matter what lights other people have? If you are happy with more expensive lights then they are for you, if you are happy with the less expensive lights then all good.

Gary_M

The trouble here is that so many people are so keen to hold an opinion on something they have no actual experience of

I bought a dx torch last year, it's fine for the money. I've also tried the fenix torch route.

But I bought a troutlight this year and it's well worth spending the extra money. I'm fairly sure the majority of people who start with the torch route will move onto something that works far better.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Aye, and that's fine- it's the people who declare them to be rubbish or unreliable I was having a poke at there. From what I've seen most people who assume they're bad are actually riding around with something worse- Hope 2, old Ayups etc- which are better made and have great guarantees and all but don't actually work very well as lights.

I'd like a Troutlight too, mind 🙂

woffle

it's the people who declare them to be rubbish or unreliable I was having a poke at there

I've bought one but it would cease working after any length of time in the rain. It certainly wasn't waterproof so it's now in the car glovebox as an emergency torch.

I'd rather stick with my Exposure lights. Might try mounting one of my Fenix torches on my helmet to see how it measures up against my old joystick though…

well I threw my DX torch in a tank of beer . Guess what, its still working, it was working after I pumped out the tank, and 1 month later its still working.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

why?

because I got a great deal on some AyUps where I got 2 lights 3 batteries 2 chargers 5 mounts and a head torch strap for £200.

warranty (even top notch from Oz

6-8 hrs of run time

I can run 1 and let my gf use the other one for chilled out rides

I can double my weeks riding

they work

Sounded like a good deal to me.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Why spend 100's of £ on lights!’ is closed to new replies.