Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 213 total)
  • Why so much hatred for the Orange 5?
  • ton

shag, I am very good, thanks for asking.

Northwind

Rik – Member

How many other frames if you break them out of warranty can you buy spare swingarms for?

Name them please?

I’ve had a swingarm and rocker for my Hemlock, both bought after it was out of production, and I never had a warranty. Though I didn’t have to buy them, Cotic supplied them for free, so maybe that won’t satisfy you 😉

Hmm what else. Specialized, it’s not normally a concern- lifetime warranty, you either get the replacement part or a modern equivalent replacement frame. Marin, you can buy a swingarm for a Wolfridge no bother. Trek certainly do it for at least some models (friend did it for a Fuel). Santa Cruz do it too (and have a better warranty period in the first place)

TBH the only other brand I can think of that doesn’t do this for recent models is Lapierre and, well, who wants lapierre for their benchmark?

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Firstly, I’ll admit I’ve never ridden a Five, so I can’t comment on the relative rides, but this debate reminds me of an Orange Five predecessor, the similarly popular, loved, hated, and stereotyped Marin single pivots, of which I had a Rift Zone before the swingarms became less chunky.

I wonder what would have happened if Marin had stayed single pivot like Orange did. Obviously travel and burliness have increased since in what is regarded as a trail bike, but they had 5″+ models too at the time and were cheaper, better specced, better looking, and noted for their customer service and tailored approach to the desires of the UK market. It’s a shame they appear to have made all the wrong decisions since their heyday, because if you take overpricing and ugliness out of the Orange offering, you’d apparently have a stonking product.

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Should that have been followed by “But if it does break, replace it with another?” That sounds a bit bonkers unless the replacement is free on warranty.

Dyson Airblade urinal – such a comical mental picture!

Toasty

Hmm what else. Specialized, it’s not normally a concern- lifetime warranty, you either get the replacement part or a modern equivalent replacement frame.

Sometimes, there was a ton of controversy here though, loads of threads popping up like:

http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/lifetime-frame-warranty-does-not-cover-rear-triangle-662014.html

Don’t think the Hemlock debacle can be classed as a great example personally. It’s more like a free factory recall.

hora
    Free Member

Ah good old Specialized. The heel of my Spesh BG Sports seperated at the heel within a year on two pairs. both times I was told ‘no, because you’ve used them’. Used them? ‘Yes they have obviously been used’. (c24 times). The secondtime (less wear) I gave up and never bought another Specialized product.

They are selective.

“Warranty doesn’t cover paint”- Funnily Turners do and they upgrade you too.

supercarp

Are they overpriced? Handmade frame and seems to me similar spec to comparable bikes.

if it was made in the USA the 5 would be raved about.

sometimes simple is best less to maintain = more time riding

Northwind

Toasty – Member

Don’t think the Hemlock debacle can be classed as a great example personally. It’s more like a free factory recall.

It’s a fair point 😆 Though, I couldn’t say mine broke prematurely tbh, the bike got used way outwith its remit and still it lasted well.

ton

supercarp – Member
    Are they overpriced?

is the pope catholic….. 😆

justinbieber

Londonerinoz – the replacement frame was 1/2 price so £800 (including upgrade to Kashima shock and Maxle rear end). I might have got a bit more by selling it on brand new, but not enough to buy a Santa Cruz or equivalent. Also, I really like the way it rides, saw no point in changing it and they’d beefed up the areas it cracked.

Having said that, I’m looking at getting a new frame/bike soon and it won’t be a Five, but that’s simply because I’ve been riding them for 5 years and fancy a change.

wl
    Free Member

Just got one and it’s the best bike I’ve owned. Astonishingly versatile, and fantastic fun too. Ridden it for around 50 hours and it’s been faultless on everything from 40-mile Pennine xc loops through to alpine-style techie descents and rough-as-you-like rock gardens. It’s super-smooth and perfectly balanced, and there’s nothing to go wrong on it – plus it has a 3-year warranty anyway. Perfect for the UK and riding all winter. Would be fine in the Alps with some 160mm forks. Get the right set-up and I don’t think there’s a better 140mm trail bike out there (and Dirt mag has been saying this for years). The haters are generally talking b*llocks, or they spend way too much time looking at their bikes, not riding them.

ton

wl, hopefully you wont have any issues when it breaks…… 😀

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Overpriced? Two examples – Nukeproof Mega AM and TR and £1300/£1250. As far as I’m aware these are knocked out in huge numbers in a factory by a machine. Five, for a couple of hundred quid more are made in much smaller numbers by northern monkeys in an industrial unit down the road from my house. A couple of hundred quid more for a Five seems pretty reasonable to me.

Another? Cotic’s Rocket. Isn’t that ~£Five? And thats made in the far east out of pig iron?

Five overpriced? I don’t think so…

mindmap3
    Free Member

DaveyBoy – agree. As a frame they’re about on the money. Just not sure the complete builds are. They do make the frames jobbed out in the Far East look expensive.

With regards to looks, I don’t like the Turners with DW links because they look like a cut and shut of two totally different bikes. The Nic is nice though. And that Five doesn’t look too shabby…I just don’t like the way they ride.

Interesting to hear peop say that Orange are bad to deal with because I was always under the impression that they were pretty good.

chestrockwell

ton – Member
    wl, hopefully you wont have any issues when it breaks

Come on Ton, lay your cards on the table and tell us why you really hate Orange. Did some one that works for the company run of with your wife or nick your chips?

Suprised about the poor customer service comments, they’ve always been very friendly and helpful with me when ever I’ve had the need to contact them.

ton

Come on Ton, lay your cards on the table and tell us why you really hate Orange. Did some one that works for the company run of with your wife or nick your chips?

pmsl, seriously………… 😆

iainc

I found their customer service pretty good, and reading this thread most others seem to agree. Ton, I guess you had a bad experience and feel the need to reiterate it every page, but it doesn’t seem representative of the majority. So what happended anyway ? 🙂

ton

iainc, sorry mate i did not realise i had posted on every page.
    i shall remove myself from this debate forthwith. 🙂

chestrockwell

The hate for Orange is a STW thing. One of the forum king dicks repeatedly says they don’t like ‘X’. All their followers then agree, thread after thread after thread. Saying that, it’s worse on Bikeradar but then that’s a strange place. In the real world people seem to like them.

Doesn’t matter how many times the usual myths are proved to be wrong, the same people will spout off thread after thread after thread. It must be important to them though and doesn’t really make much difference in the long run.

chestrockwell

ton – Member

pmsl, seriously…………

Yes, seriously. I don’t read every thread on the site so don’t know if you’ve stated your gripe before but it’s clear they’ve upset you more then they’ve upset most others. Bit like me with Merlin really.

Karinofnine

I didn’t realise there was a lot of hatred for them.

I ride a Five, it’s old now, bought it in 2006. But it still works well, I love the ride, the mud clearance is awesome – where my Salsa Moto Rapido is chain-sucking away the 5 is still churning through the mud – I love the looks (and, Mint Sauce rode a single pivot back in the day). I adore the way it descends.

I have no plans to change it, nothing wrong with it, and I’m certainly not changing it for the sake of fashion. The only thing I would change is the shock, it’s a Manitou Swinger *cringes at the name*. It’s never worked properly like my Fox shock did in my Juliana, but it isn’t actually broken (so according to Karinofnine’s Law of Saving the Planet – I can’t just dump it) – I can’t sell it because I can’t put my hand on my heart and say to the buyer that it’s ok, ‘cos it isn’t. Oh, the trouble with being honest!

BTW I’m not a man, not middle-aged, or overweight, not in IT and I don’t own an Audi TT.

I must say though, when I was at Glentress last year, I was surprised (pleasantly) to see there were loads and loads of 5s there. I’d never seen so many in one place. It was great to see how many variations there are, in terms of colour and spec, of one basic bike. Lovely, like an Orange 5 convention 🙂

ads678

ton – was it you that broke an Orange frame a few years ago and suggested a way that they could strengthen it. They disagreed, but then added your bit in the next years model?

shaggmiester
    Free Member

[/quote]ton – Member
    i shall remove myself from this debate forthwith.

POSTED 19 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Thank **** for that! 😆 😉

mangatank
    Free Member

Oh come on. Someone had to 🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its cool to hate something thats popular. See Apple, Coke, Graham Norton etc

OK, maybe Graham Norton wasn’t a good example.

iainc

i shall remove myself from this debate forthwith.

I didn’t actually count them up Ton, but it reads that way 🙂 🙂

…and you can’t remove yourself, you have us all on tenterhooks about your tale of woe 😛

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Never mind the five….I’m liking the look of the new Alpine. 😀

popmatik
    Free Member

I think it’s interesting that one bike can cause such a stir. I have one, it does look a bit clunky, but it has a charm and I enjoy riding it. I may enjoy another bike as much if I had a go on one, but my Five hasn’t made me want to try another yet. We are pals.

Some bikes look like they come from the future and I’m not really keen on the futuristic things. I hate Si-Fi and all that caper.

I’m not middle aged or rotund but I may still be riding my Five when I am.

Blower
    Free Member

my takes on this

One thing is all this trail-AM marketing bikes bollox dunt wash with me.

160-140-150mm forks etc, bla bla bla.

cant tell much between most of these kind of bikes from the main players these days and them that do are talkin shite. 🙂

if yer a pro then maybe,otherwise just farkin ride eh.
    all a bikes feel could be altered by **** tyres to stem bars you name it,so unless you set em up exactly to that then how can you tell that much??
    and if you really really can then maybe you should be making these bikes yourself eh eh. 😉

its all in the head i tell ya..marketing marketing marketing 🙄

anyways i own two Orange bikes a Patriot and new the alpine,both do the job for me and thats that..

as did my mega before and whatver other bikes before that.

those who say ohhh i just couldnt get on with the 5 most likely dont ride anyways or just ride at trail centres every weekend.
    try ride em as intended and you may think diferent.

😀 8)
    8)

mangatank
    Free Member

Filing cabinet digs aside, Orange, and the 5 especially, is one of those English classics that represents the essential soul of British mountain biking.

Sneer at them all you like, but God help us when the day arrives and the hills and trail centres are full of Cannondale, Lapierre, Specialized and Cube, and there’s not a Cotic, On One, Charge or Orange in sight.

tazzymtb

Had a 5 quite liked it, but certainly not as good the bikes that replaced it (sinister and ellsworth). Both were far, far uglier to most on here, but widdled all over the orange in terms of performance on the ups and downs…and pedalled better. Not to say the 5 is a bad bike at all. But certainly it’s not the amazing mountain slaying performance machine that is faved about on here.

Oh and grumpy 5 owners are the easiest to wind up by far as most take themselves very seriously, hence the plethora of pi $$ take threads. Trying to wind up single speedy niche wagon wheelers isn’t as much fun as they already have no delusions of being gnar core radmeisters

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

I think the 5 suits more aggresive riders than trail center mincers.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

those who say ohhh i just couldnt get on with the 5 most likely dont ride anyways or just ride at trail centres every weekend.
    try ride em as intended and you may think diferent.

+1

cupid stunt – Member
    I think the 5 suits more aggresive riders than trail center mincers.

+1

wl
    Free Member

Cupid, you’re late!

scotroutes

Orange 5’s aren’t that popular. In fact, they are pretty niche. How many do you actually see outside of the UK – that aren’t owned by UK-based riders? If they were that good, you’d be seeing them everywhere. Like British cars, they are bought on the basis that they have a “heritage” quality that just doesn’t travel well. That doesn’t make them bad bikes though.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Loads of Alpines in Switzerland and Spain.

wl
    Free Member

‘Heritage’ status had nothing to do with me buying one. I’d have bought one if it was built by a Taiwanese robot. Just love the way it rides and know it will work well day after day, in winter weather and gritty northern sludge. Same goes for lots of folk I know who bought one.

Trekster

If they were that good, you’d be seeing them everywhere

Unlikely to happen unless Steve & co retire or sell the business. The Orange philosophy is to keep the brand niche by keeping production levels low, in-house(for 5)and therefore sell at a premium price due to perceived “rarity” value 💡

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I did not like the one I test rode, finding it draggy uphill and nervous downhill. It did have horrid conti tyres. It might also have been too small. I supposed you can get used to any bike really.

It’s looks are a bit Volvo cross bred with trabant. I do like the custom colours mind.

hora
    Free Member

I always take the piss with five riders that I see out (good natured).

I dont think I’ve ever met a orange rider who cant ride/doesnt ride alot.

I’ve never seen a five at a trail centre

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve never seen a five at a trail centre

Why the trail centre hatred is it not proper enough riding for you?

Five owners would get an easier ride if they didn’t try and insist that it’s the best bike in the world and the only one that will work in the UK.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘Why so much hatred for the Orange 5?’ is closed to new replies.