Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Why should I buy a full suspension bike?
  • glenh
    Free Member

If you live in the lakes then, yeah, you should get a full sus.

All those people who go on about hard tails being more fun, ‘cos full sus makes everything too easy, just need to find some decent terrain (like the lakes) / go faster.

grumm
    Free Member

Oh yeah, do you like playing video games? For me, riding my full suss downhill feels like playing a really good video game, but much more exciting. So I know what people mean when they say it disconnects you from the feel of the trail, but for me it feels frickin awesome.

glenh
    Free Member

Perhaps they say ‘disconnect’ to mean ‘not have your teeth shaken out’?

Olly
    Free Member

decent terrain?
    different terrain i think.

a full suss certainly sucks some of the life out of the trails in and around nant yr arian, and putting in a snap of a pedal kick out of the first-left-hander-after-the-halfway-gate-on-high-as-a-kite no longer results in tyre squirming amounts torque being transfered to the ground and a sudden well earned leap of acceleration like a stiff alu hardtail does.

but then again i can now feel my arms at the bottom of stanage edge descents.

if i wanted a bike for riding in the peaks, and in the alps in the summer etc, i would get a Hemlock with both rockers (except would prefer an Alu version)

Neb

I think a 5″ trail bike is perfect for the lakes. Much less and you’d either have to be a superb rider, or sacrifice something in your riding. But it all depends on what you are planning to ride. I think most people in the lakes would never look back after going to FS for the first time. Ideally two (or three!) bikes would be the way forward, light hardtail + bigger FS. pick and choose depending on the terrain.

Chakaping, – I just realised who you are! Are you coming out to the Alps with our Irish compadres in the summer? They’ve plans afoot for the Mega avalanche… I’m not sure I fancy that, but some lift assisted ‘scaring myself stupid’ would be fun!

crazy-legs

When I moved to the Lakes I had a full sus. After a very short time I bought a HT cos it was far less maintenance and far more fun. I’ve yet to find anything in the Lakes I can’t ride on it and its coped fine with plenty of all-day rides.

Try as many bikes as possible, see what you like. There’s a whole WORLD of full sus out there everything from “XC/enduro” (typically 100mm travel) to “trail” (approx 120-140mm travel) to “freeride” (140-160mm) and loads of marketing speak, technobabble, facts and figures. There’s plenty of good shops in the Lakes though: Keswick MTB, Wheelbase, Evans (Kendal), Biketreks (Ambleside), most of the shops will have test or demo bikes, KMB and Wheelbase often organise demo days where you can try several bikes for free on proper rides. Get onto their websites, find out when the next one is. Try hiring bikes at trail centres or next time you’re off on a biking holiday look around beforehand for any local bike shops and book a test ride or a demo bike. If you’re going further afield, companies like AQR out in the Pyrenees have a demo fleet of Cotic Hemlocks. Try mates bikes or ask the opinions of the local riders – KMB runs night rides every Tuesday from the Pedlar, join in with them and see what people are riding, what they recommend.

Above all, take your time with it, no point buying a bike and finding out its not what you want. Might be worthwhile waiting til the end of 09 when the bikes are discounted, you can use the time til then to work out what you want/need. In the meantime buy some bigger tyres for your Merlin – I’d go with 2.3″ or so for the Lakes!

TomB

Wow, what a great response. After taking it all in I have a plan, and my cash that is burning a hole in my pocket is going to stay there, for now.

I’ll spend this year riding, and try as many bikes as I can over the next few months. When the deals start on this year’s bike I’ll hopefully have a well informed shopping list and have identified specifically what I want my new bike to do and have narrowed it down to a couple…….Thanks for all your help, any more? keep it coming!

Tom

Taff
    Free Member

I think you need to try as many demo bikes as you can in both hardtail and full sus but if you cna ride friends bikes as well that’ll make a big difference. My confidence and capability on prince albert with pikes was a lot better than a trek fuel but then I really like the FSR stumpy then when for a Kinesis maxlight. All over the place but now with something I really like and it likes me! Dn’t know if there is such a thing as the perfect bike but definately agree with previous statement that multiple bikes is the way frward. Unfortunately I’m no longer a student and don’t have the time or money to ride and own 7 bikes, happy days…

grumm
    Free Member

Look out for Keswick Mountain Bikes demo day this summer – was great for me last year.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

I’m near you by the sounds of it so you can have a spin on mine some time.

(Did that sound gay?)

solamanda
    Free Member

Try lots of bikes, you’ll probably fall in love with the idea of rear suspension and you WILL enjoy riding one. However don’t be surprised if you feel the need to switch back or keep a hardtail in the shed. Full suspension isn’t everything. Unlike most people say, they require a different skills to riding a hardtail, not always less skill. However they do make trails seem easier and can make it boring.

I prefer the feel of a hardtail but due to injury reasons I’ve been swapping back to riding full suspension much more. On the limit the speed difference between full suspension and hardtail is minimal. Variety is the spice of life so you’ll enjoy something different.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

in all honesty you shouldn’t! my bum always ends up parked on my hardtail – that said full suss does enlarge your balls and are fun too so i have one for ‘rainy’ days. the more dosh you spend the better IMHO. suck it and see!

Oxboy
    Free Member

I didnt think I needed full suss until I did a few rocky trails, then I changed my mind, so a couple of weeks ago I bought a full suss and it sure does knock the edges off the rocks and roots on the trail. It also seems to be a hell of a lot quicker going downhill, it scared me to death 😛 In my opinion I would have and now do have both.

chakaping
    Free Member

Chakaping, – I just realised who you are! Are you coming out to the Alps with our Irish compadres in the summer? They’ve plans afoot for the Mega avalanche… I’m not sure I fancy that, but some lift assisted ‘scaring myself stupid’ would be fun!

Hello Pete (?), how’s it going mate? Long time no see. Definitely up for Alps, got my visa stamped by ‘er indoors and purchased this in the sale at my LBS…

Hopefully we can book somethink up soon!

And to bring this post back on-topic, how’s that Meta of your working out in the Lakes? Bet it’s perfect for up there 😉

My email’s in my profile here btw.

S

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Why should I buy a full suspension bike?’ is closed to new replies.