Why pick up dog crap then leave it in a bag

Home Forum Chat Forum Why pick up dog crap then leave it in a bag

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Why pick up dog crap then leave it in a bag
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

It does but I did not confirm TJ’s allegation, so I wanted to see a link that did. I did find a Guardian article about oxo degradable bags but that is not necessarily what we are talking about here.

“Some supposedly bio-d bags don’t degrade properly” is not the same thing as “there’s no such thing as a bio-d bag”

McHamish

I thought the bags we had from the council to put all our food waste in were made of potato starch…after TJ’s comment I had a quick search and it seems that most* biodegradable bags are made of a combination of plastics and corn starch. With bags requiring a degree of strength containing more plastic.

I would imagine that the more biodegradable plastics are more expensive, and given it’s the council I expect that they don’t spend a great deal of money on them! And I doubt dog owners would spend a lot of money on something that they’re going to put poo in!

*maybe if I wasn’t at work I could spend a bit more time and quantify that better.

McHamish

there’s no such thing as a bio-d bag

Maybe that’s not too far from the truth though – most people would assume that biodegradable means it degrades completely…like an apple core would. If a ‘biodegradable’ bag contains some polymers then can it really be called biodegradable? There’s probably a regulation that states that these products must contain a percentage of degradable components for the company to sell them as such.

If a biodegradable plastic bag broke down in the sea, all the tiny fragments of plastic that TJ mentions would be floating around…ready to be scooped up by a passing whale shark or something.

obirobkeno

This is a big thing on a certain peninsular between Liverpool and Wales… The local council will not provide dog poo bins as, I’m informed by a nameless council employee, it costs too much to empty the bins and dispose of.
    I’ve not seen anyone doing it, but I always see plastic bags lying around… Yeah, very green…

Premier Icon stavromuller
    Subscriber

Oh FFS, the whole point is the crap is in a bag,the lazy sods that leave them lying around are surely not go to the extra effort of actually buying a special bag to dump the crap in. So i think the material of the bag is immaterial(pun intended). A resolution is needed not a discussion on the bag!

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I’ve often looked at the dog poo bins and wondered which lucky soul had the delightful job of emptying them.

scu98rkr

Would nt it be easier not to have a dog or leave the dog at home when you go walking ? Or am I missing something.

Biodegradable means that it breaks down in to naturally occurring substances that do no harm – Biodegradable plastic bags do not you get a residue of tiny fakes of plastic.

its a greenwash like many others. paper bags are biodegradable Anything containing plastic never can be.

Premier Icon stavromuller
    Subscriber

You really are a bit single minded TJ. Forget the composition of the f’in bags

paper bags are biodegradable Anything containing plastic never can be.

I’m surprised you didn’t check with Wikipedia :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodegradable_plastic

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Ultimately, apart from their bones, aren’t all dogs biodegradable.

Why not shove a cork up there and let nature take its course?

McHamish

Yeah TJ…stop being so singleminded and talking about things relevant to the discussion.

…oh wait a minute.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Biodegradable means that it breaks down in to naturally occurring substances that do no harm – Biodegradable plastic bags do not you get a residue of tiny fakes of plastic.

its a greenwash like many others. paper bags are biodegradable Anything containing plastic never can be

Links (other than wiki) or you’re wrong.

GTDave

Biodegradable means that it breaks down in to naturally occurring substances that do no harm

Nope. Biodegradable means that it can be broken down by natural biological processes. The toxicity of the end result is moot.

Biodegradable & environmentally friendly would be a different kettle of fish.

richc

scu98rkr – Member

Would nt it be easier not to have a dog or leave the dog at home when you go walking ? Or am I missing something.

Well apart from the point, no you are not missing anything.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Why pick up dog crap then leave it in a bag’ is closed to new replies.