Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 276 total)
  • Why people refuse to wear helmets?
  • elzorillo
    Free Member

Not again 🙁

How about minding your own business.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Unreal. I don’t care who wears a helmet or not, but the denial is simply breathtaking.
    Your skull is 6.5mm thick.

Dont undersell yourself I am sure you are much thicker than that 😉

So something that cracked a helmet might not necessarily crack your skull..

It would result in a lesser injury with the helmet than without it and that is the point and not a guess.

mrmo
    Free Member

Unreal. I don’t care who wears a helmet or not, but the denial is simply breathtaking.

6.5mm of bone not 25mm of polystyrene

Take an egg and crush it end on. yet egg shell is so easy to break. you may or may not be aware that different materials have different properties.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

split helmet, which means it failed to do its job

regardles what i think about the helmet debate, you don’t need to worry either way.

wrecker
    Free Member

It would result in a lesser injury with the helmet than without it and that is the point and not a guess.

Precisely.

Dont undersell yourself I am sure you are much thicker than that

Apparently womens skulls are thicker so you probably are as well. Big girl. 😀

mrmo
    Free Member

the helmet may of helped, it might not, i don’t know, no one can know, that is the point.

What i do know is that hip ****ing hurt for a fortnight and i couldn’t bare weight on my right hip.

Head was fine no headache, but that you have been the mud i came down in or it might have been the helmet.

wrecker
    Free Member

Take an egg and crush it end on. yet egg shell is so easy to break. you may or may not be aware that different materials have different properties.

Yes. Things which are harder generally crack (like an egg). Softer things tend to compress (like foam). It’s only an opinion but I reckon if you’ve split open a hard shell helmet with foam lighting, you’d certainly have done some damage to your head.

GrahamS

And surprisingly good at its job. Almost like it evolved that way.

A helmet is designed to split. A skull isn’t.
    Split helmet does not mean split skull.

Yep. I’ve split helmets on what were painful crashes and they would have undoubtedly been even more painful without a helmet. But I very much doubt they’d have split my skull.

My last helmet got split after some feral Edinburgh yoofs thought it would be amusing to drop a large potato on my head as I cycled under an old railway bridge. 😆

mt
    Free Member

“My last helmet got split after some feral Edinburgh yoofs thought it would be amusing to drop a large potato on my head as I cycled under an old railway bridge.”

That was TJ trying to prove a point.

miketually
    Free Member

If I don’t want to read all that, has somebody made an amazing point which will sway me from my current position? Or is it the same old same old?

I’m currently working on the assumption that people who still partake in ‘debate’ on helmet threads have recently sustained a head injury.

ransos
    Free Member

Yep, I should think that a helmet has saved me a trip to A&E before now. I also would’ve been saved a trip to A&E had I been wearing arm & knee guards, yet no-one bangs on about those as essential safety equipment.

butcher

I don’t get the hatred towards cyclists without helmets. Very few people in their lifetimes will hit their head that hard. Most of us will get a few knocks, but who doesn’t? That’s all part and parcel of life.

On a bike, everything feels all too real with the wind through your hair vents in your helmet, but going back to the car example, where you could actually wear a proper helmet that is built primarily to save your life (rather than be comfortable when you’re sweating your boobies off on a big climb), it would probably save just as many people. Probably more, given that so many more people drive each day.

And on that note, why not wear a proper helmet on a bike, rather than these lightweight paper mache things that could potentially do more harm than good? If people are going to get on their high horse, they might as well do it properly.

It’s amazing the stir caused by cycle helmets. And not just among cyclists either. It’s just something to get irrate at people for.

I wear my helmet all the time, so I’m not anti-helmet at all – quite the opposite…but I respect anyones choice to not wear one. There’s plenty of other things likely to kill them first.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

3 pages already. Stop it!!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

A helmet is designed to split. A skull isn’t.
    Split helmet does not mean split skull.

to repeat , it does mean it is likely you were injured and it just saved your from some blunt face trauma , that, whilst possibly not life threatening, would have hurt a lot.

PS how did the blind watchmaker know about the need for skulls good enough to withstand MTB crashes – is it yet more proof of intelligent designe]

GrahamS

o repeat , it does mean it is likely you were injured and it just saved your from some blunt face trauma , that, whilst possibly not life threatening, would have hurt a lot.

Yep, I acknowledged that in the next bit, but wrecker did originally say “you’d have cracked your skull…How could it not? “.

(I do like the notion of a “blunt face trauma” though – a particularly nasty crash for the aesthetically-challenged 😀 )

RichieBoy
    Free Member

So if you split your helmet, what do you do on the ride home? Do you just parcel tape the remnants to your hair?? Or **Gasp** do you ride home helmet-less?

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

you walk and be sure not to tread in any puddles.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

risk compensation is my criteria about safety equipment– if i was racing a cycle, my risks and others are increased, off road there are more risks, so i would wear a helmet.

everyday cycling i choose not to wear a helmet, have so far survived .

Statistically pedestrians and occupants of motor vehicles involved in incidents do sustain a fair number of head injuries– are people calling for helmets for all at all times……

in the house there are a number of risks……….

brakes
    Free Member

why are our choices in life these days open to so much scrutiny and judgement?
    incidentally I agree with those who choose to base decisions on their own self assessment of risk. and this is what I do too.

Jamie
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

I like that article GrahamS.

johnnydontwearlycra
    Free Member

i used to rock climb without ropes.

sometimes the risk is worth it

GrahamS

I like that article GrahamS.

Good innit? Decent mag all round that for commuting/urban/utility cycling.

khani
    Free Member

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Why people refuse to wear helmets?

Odd title, what makes you think they’ve ‘refused’?

I’ve never been asked, and therefore have never ever refused. Still don’t wear one though.

lazybike
    Free Member

Really wonder why people (particularly older blokes with those silly little roadie caps) insist on not wearing a helmet.

somedays I don’t fancy wearing one, no rhyme or reason….

ononeorange

Can I just say this is the first time I’ve appeared on a helmet thread?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can I just say this is the first time I’ve appeared on a helmet thread?

No, I’m sorry, there isn’t time.

ononeorange

Over to Leicester East!

mrmo
    Free Member

Really wonder why people (particularly older blokes with those silly little roadie caps) insist on not wearing a helmet.

I do wonder why some A4 drivers insist on taking a bike to a cafe in a wood, makes no sense to me, it is not as though they actually ride the bike.

tpbiker
    Free Member

never posted on a helmet debate before…keen to have my tuppence worth!

Like many, I don’t give a shit if someone wears a helmet or not, totally up to them, as long as their choices don’t negatively impact on me.

I would however be fairly annoyed if I had to stop at the side of the trail and attend to someone who had cracked their head open/concussed themselves whilst not wearing a helmet…call me harsh, but sympathy would be very limited.

fourbanger
    Free Member
    jamj1974

Like many I don’t care if someone else wears a helmet or not. I have been saved from serious head injuries whilst wearing a helmet – conversely have also had serious facial injuries whilst wearing a full face… However I wear a helmet each time I ride and make the mini-JAMJ’s wear them also.

I also don’t care though about what mandating the use of helmets has done in Australia or elsewhere – bloody lame argument as far as I am concerned. Whether it lessens or increases participation – I really don’t give a monkeys! I have been riding since 1987 and whether rider numbers have been up or down has not affected my riding pleasure one iota.

irc

@munrobiker

I rarely wade into the helmet argument, because it’s like banging your head on a wall, but I read an interview with James Cracknell, a man whose life was saved by a helmet

This James Cracknell? The one not wearing a helmet? In the spirit of helmet thread speculation I’ll speculate that if he had been using a mirror he could have avoided the truck hitting him altogether by swerving to the nearside, if necessary off the road. I’ve done it myself.

IdleJon

This James Cracknell? The one not wearing a helmet? In the spirit of helmet thread speculation I’ll speculate that if he had been using a mirror he could have avoided the truck hitting him altogether by swerving to the nearside, if necessary off the road. I’ve done it myself.

I’d also point out that he may have noticed the truck bearing down on him if he hadn’t deliberately sleep-deprived himself.

alex222
    Free Member

In the spirit of helmet thread speculation I’ll speculate that if he had been using a mirror he could have avoided the truck hitting him altogether by swerving to the nearside, if necessary off the road. I’ve done it myself.

Yes but however uncool you look with a helmet on you look quadruply uncool with a mirror on you bike; and lets face it its better to die looking cool then to survive whilst having a mirror on your bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

pbiker – Member

I would however be fairly annoyed if I had to stop at the side of the trail and attend to someone who had cracked their head open/concussed themselves whilst not wearing a helmet…call me harsh, but sympathy would be very limited.

Sounds like you’ve not read any of the links. It’s really not that simple.

GrahamS

But how would you feel if they broke their wrist whilst not wearing wrist guards? Or cracked their neck whilst not wearing a neck brace? Or, gasp, split their head whilst wearing a helmet?

whether rider numbers have been up or down has not affected my riding pleasure one iota

I think you’re missing the thrust of that argument. It’s not about “riding pleasure”, it’s about overall public health and also safety in numbers for riders on the road.

teasel
    Free Member

I wore a helmet on Sunday’s off-road ride and generally wear one when commuting.

Didn’t wear one this morning while travelling to the docs. It’s nice to have the choice…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do we have the swing at Luton?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 276 total)

The topic ‘Why people refuse to wear helmets?’ is closed to new replies.