Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 425 total)
  • Why our food is making us fat
  • grum
    Free Member

I’m eating large, delicious, tasty meals and getting by on my daily half hour of gentle bike ride to work and back. But, your way sounds ace

Yeah, eating the delicious sausage and butterbean casserole I made last night again for tea is a real chore.

deviant
    Free Member

Grum, low GI is a given…people should be getting their carbs from low GI sources anyway, high glycemic index foods are for pre workout boosts and post workout recovery…..i dread to think what the peaks and troughs of somebody’s energy levels must be like if they spend their day eating high GI foods for energy!

jota180
    Free Member

I’m eating large, delicious, tasty meals and getting by on my daily half hour of gentle bike ride to work and back. But, your way sounds ace

But you always did didn’t you? pre iDave

TBH some of the links you’ve posted for lunch recipes have been neither large nor had me thinking they’d be delicious IMO.
    I tried the idave for 4 weeks and it was pretty much the same as any other concious calorie reduction programme – which it is. I lost weight but that was just because it restricts a lot of high calorie food.
    I went back to a ‘normal’ eating regime as I missed bread and beer and dairy too much [can’t stand red wine] and for what I’m eating Vs what I’m exercising, I’m losing at the same rate.

Macavity
    Free Member
    miketually
    Free Member

But you always did didn’t you? pre iDave

I was about 75kg pre-iDave. 32″ waist jeans were a bit snug and I often bought 34″. I was by no means fat, but I had no visible abs and my arms weren’t particularly vascular.

After 6 (7?) weeks of iDave, I’m about 68kg. My 32″ waist jeans are very loose and I’ve got something approaching a 4-pack and veiny arms.

As I’ve said, I’m not particularly doing it to lose weight, but because I feel better eating this way. I started by having slow-carb breakfasts as that fitted in well with when my wife was doing Slimming World and I realised how much better I felt all morning at work. I started having more slow-carb lunches and then went the whole hog 6 or 7 weeks ago.

I have various allergies (asthma and hay fever) that have been loads better than I’d have expected these last few weeks, which may just be a coincidence with the odd weather we’ve been having. Possibly I have a slight gluten allergy too?

What sold me was the first big bike ride I did. I’d have been knackered afterwards normally, but was absolutely fine and repeated it, but faster, a week later. Again, could be a coincidence, but it seems to work for me.

miketually
    Free Member

TBH some of the links you’ve posted for lunch recipes have been neither large nor had me thinking they’d be delicious IMO.

Those are just ideas/inspiration, not exactly what I’ve been eating.

Macavity
    Free Member
    Macavity
    Free Member
    slimjim78
    Free Member

I lost weight but that was just because it restricts a lot of high calorie foods that I prefer to eat, like bread & beer

I lost weight but that was just because it restricts a lot of high calorie food blood sugar spikes

Do you realise how many ‘calories’ there are in meat/beans/pulses/houmous/etc?

slimjim78
    Free Member

poor slimjim, he’s posted one days food! i wouldn’t judge a diet based on a one day sample unless he’s eating the same every day

more hummus SJ

just polished off half a tub with a stick of celery, and a big gob full of wasabi peas

Im surprised. I thought a days food consisting essentially of

chicken
    salad leaves
    mixed vegetables
    tuna
    raisins (not quite so good yet not exactly evil)
    wheat (not quite so good)
    black tea
    water

wouldn’t be frowned upon?
    in fact, are you guys serious?

wrecker
    Free Member

start dieting around 16 weeks out from a show….they use the time honoured understanding that eating less calories than they need will result in fat loss

Do come on now. You are saying that bodybuilders cut up just by reducing calories. 😆
    I think you’ll find they heavily reduce carb intake.

Macavity
    Free Member

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=4271246&page=1

“Study: Artificial Sweeteners Increase Weight Gain Odds
    Calorie-conscious consumers who opt for diet sodas may gain more weight than if they drank sugary drinks because of artificial sweeteners contained in the diet sodas, according to a new study.”

crikey
    Free Member

It gets more like Womens Weekly in here every week…

Lardy middle aged leisure cyclists arguing about diets; has it really sunk as low as this?

slimjim78
    Free Member

am not middle aged.

am interested in nutrition facts. and going REALLY fast on a bike.

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m not middle aged or lardy.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m 35 and skinny 🙂

Today’s menu

Breakfast: two slices prosciutto, two soft boiled eggs, home-made baked beans (with added lentils, chorizo, red pepper, red wine and chilli flakes).
    Dinner: a Sainsburys salad bowl, plus a 100g pack of roast turkey and a tub of four bean salad.
    Tea: a plate full of green beans, broccoli and carrots, with a hefty portion of mince and onions and gravy over the top.

No idea on calories, apart from lunch which was the only thing that came in packets and as we’d been discussing it here I checked. That was 600 kcal.

grum
    Free Member

in fact, are you guys serious?

Well, to me:

Breakfast – several cups of black tea – basically not eating breakfast, not a great start to the day and likely to make you hungry – better to eat smaller meals more often
    Lunch – tinned tuna, salad, loads of garden peas – good
    Snack – white choccie biscuit from spain (damned colleagues) – bad
    Pre Ride hunger snack – cashew nuts, 2x chicken drumsticks, several salami slices – ok
    Post ride meal – big bowl of Raisin Wheats with whole milk (a moment of weakness, but they were very nice none the less) – not too bad but the raisins are full of sugar

To me it doesn’t really look like enough to eat in a day if you are doing exercise, but I suppose you are trying to lose weight. I just wonder if it is sustainable.

It’s not terrible by any means but some more veg would be good – much better to replace the wheat with beans/pulses to get a bit of carbs imo.

It gets more like Womens Weekly in here every week…

Lardy middle aged leisure cyclists arguing about diets; has it really sunk as low as this?

Judging by your posting history you come on a mountain bike forum just to talk about road cycling, tv programmes and hilariously expensive jerseys – has it really sunk as low as this?

slimjim78
    Free Member

basically not eating breakfast, not a great start to the day and likely to make you hungry – better to eat smaller meals more often

nonsense, a bit of fasting does you good, it was simply a 3 hour fasting extension added to my sleep.
    Plus, I wasn’t hungry. I no longer get hunger cravings as I no longer eat refined sugars/carbs – try Atkins for a couple weeks and feel your hunger disappear, you’ll soon learn about what exactly it is you are craving! SUGAR!

white choccie biscuit from spain (damned colleagues) – bad

already acknowledged, although, a small amount of simple carbs does no harm when training hard. my 20mph average 12 mile ride thanked me for the biscuit

big bowl of Raisin Wheats with whole milk (a moment of weakness, but they were very nice none the less) – not too bad but the raisins are full of sugar

im aware of that, but it was my first bowl of cereal in months, and was a treat – made up for it today by being awesome on my bike & swimming..

jota180
    Free Member

Do you realise how many ‘calories’ there are in meat/beans/pulses/houmous/etc?

Not as many as in a lot of other stuff
    Why does idave restrict fatty meat and restrict nuts to small quantities?

Drastically reducing carbs will pretty much always drastically reduce calories

Back to back test, the idave and a conventional diet have produced very similar results for me, because they both reduce calories one way or another.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Why does idave restrict fatty meat and restrict nuts to small quantities?

because they are calorific?

600kcal in standard tesco helping of houmous. more than a great big fat pre-made sandwich, in most cases.

crikey
    Free Member

Judging by your posting history you come on a mountain bike forum just to talk about road cycling, tv programmes and hilariously expensive jerseys – has it really sunk as low as this?

Have you glanced through your own history perchance?

Game of Thrones?
    Red Dwarf?
    Learning French?
    Moving to Hebden Bridge?

😆

wrecker
    Free Member

Breakfast in the most important meal of the day. This is pretty much the only thing that the different opinions agree on. It will be VERY difficult to lose weight if you don’t regularly eat breakfast.
    My chosen breakfast of fruit and fibre cereal has not turned out to be the healthy option I had hoped. Full of **** sugar.

jota180
    Free Member

my 4 slice cheese buttes are around 800 calories
    Add a couple of bits of fruit and a big mug of tea or three and I’m easy into 1000c for lunch

I am currently doing around 2-3 hrs exercise daily though

grum
    Free Member

Have you glanced through your own history perchance?

Game of Thrones?
    Red Dwarf?
    Learning French?
    Moving to Hebden Bridge?

I’m not the one whining and bitching about a thread/forum I opened through my own free choice though am I. That’s the crucial difference.

Also, from a thread you started…..

I’ve always liked bread.

When I was a child I existed on sandwiches grabbed from the kitchen at half time in our all day soccer matches, or stuffed into back pockets when we went on adventures. In later life I used bread to fuel racing before gels and energy drinks, I had peanut butter sandwiches handed up to me at the 3 Peaks many years ago.

I was happy with bread, and it was happy with me.

This year I’ve been suffering with bloating, indigestion and mad diarrohea after eating bread, so I gave it up. Being of a medical nature, I wondered if I had developed some kind of problem with gluten, so tried some gluten-free bread, but had exactly the same result.

So, bread; like it but it don’t like me.

Nothing to do with diet though obviously, that would be far too ‘Women’s Weekly’ 😆

crikey
    Free Member

I prefer to see it as expressing an opinion, but each to their own.

Have a slice of toast, might take the edge off your sadness.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Breakfast in the most important meal of the day. This is pretty much the only thing that the different opinions agree on

Really?

Fasting is the next breakfast

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted a stalker! Would you like some pictures too?

grum
    Free Member

Probably being exposed as a whiny hypocrite on a thread you profess to have no interest in would make it a good time for you to give up and do something else.

wrecker
    Free Member

Fasting is the next breakfast

Traditionally I’ve never bothered either but to be fair, I feel better now I do.
    Seriously, sugar in fruit and fibre? Unreal.

crikey
    Free Member

I’m enjoying your discomfort too much to be honest. And I’ve got some lentils soaking, so I’m free for a while. 😆

miketually
    Free Member

There’s a nice set of images at http://primalcyclist.com/2012/02/05/carbs-are-killing-you/ that explain the “carbs make you fat” science pretty well.

crikey
    Free Member

Nice link, and I know I’m not really interested in this thread, but doesn’t it depend still on you, and your ingestion of said carbs?

If you don’t put them in there in the first place, they can’t have the same effect on you or on your insulin production. You can think about high GI and high carb meals all day long, but if you don’t eat them, they can’t make you fat.

The whole singletrackworld diet obsession seems to me to be about self control; don’t eat things that are high in carbs and burn off what you do eat and you’ll be thin or get thinner.

Essentially, ‘eat less and move more’ which even Lorraine Kelly suggested…

miketually
    Free Member

It’s not eat less, move more. It’s eat as much fat and protein as you like.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Well, I’m female, and I’m no stranger to diets and weight management theories but I’ve never read Women’s weekly…..

I actually LIKE on here that you get guys debating diet and food issues, because so many men think it’s a bit rubbish to care what you put in your body and then they end up letting themselves go and doing nowt about it for fear of looking like a nancy in front of their mates going on a diet and not swilling beer and shovelling in chips.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

Fat free yoghurt with piles of sugar in drives me mad.

This is the most sense I’ve seen written on nutrition and overall health.

Wish sugar was taxed at a higher rate or controlled in some other way. Don’t get me wrong, I have a sweet tooth, but it should be a highly taxed luxury like alcohol.

The decision of society to embrace high carb low fat is a huge mistake and will be looked back on in 50 years as a disaster.

jota180
    Free Member

You could always use a bit of self restraint and not buy it

jota180
    Free Member

It’s not eat less, move more. It’s eat as much fat and protein as you like

Not got my idave sheet handy but I thought it listed lean meat rather than fatty meat

hmanchester
    Free Member

I do exercise self restraint and I’m very happy with the results.

People always assume I’m on a “diet” when they see what I eat. My normal response is that it’s not a diet, but that I eat what’s required to meet my health, strength, physique and fitness goals. Very different, have a target and eat what you need to achieve it. If have different priorities then eat accordingly!

jota180
    Free Member

So why do you want it taxed?

FeeFoo
    Free Member

10 pages!

Absurd self-obsession on here as usual.

Where are all these fatties? I just don’t see them.

What I see more and more is middle-aged knobs moaning about not being “beautiful” any more.

Eat what you want. Enjoy your life. It won’t last forever.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 425 total)

The topic ‘Why our food is making us fat’ is closed to new replies.