Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • why no giants
  • surf1666
    Free Member

My bike (Giant reign x) seems to have gone under the radar. I like it and think it deserves a little more publicity. Any one know why there seem to be no reviews/tests?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its just widely accepted that there awesome. Therefore theres no need to test them.

I dont know whether this is true, Ive never ridden one

thomthumb
    Free Member

people why buy giant don’t read reviews
    people who read reviews won’t ride giants.

easy 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    epicyclo

thomthumb – Member
    people why buy giant don’t read reviews
    people who read reviews won’t ride giants, they buy bikes made by Giant for other brands with a fancy price because they’re sucked in by advertorials

Fixed it?

glenh
    Free Member

Same reason that mags/websites don’t review halfords £99 bikes.

uplink
    Free Member

why no giants

Thought this was going to be a thread about Newmarket

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve recently got a nice Giant Anthem. Not particularly exciting (I would rather have built something up myself if money wasn’t an issue), but it offered a decent spec for the price, ticks all of the required boxes for me, and gets good reviews. Not niche enough for STW, but a great bike.

I’m not sure that they are totally under the radar though – I think that they are just a bit under represented by the niche loving STW crowds. Are they not the biggest bike brand in the world or something?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

most bikes are giants… under a different sticker.

EDIT: epicyclo got there before me…

mooman
    Free Member

I had a mk1 giant reign .. fantastic bike.
    Just got myself a giant tcr advanced1 … different genre .. still a fantastic bike though:lol:

oldgit
    Free Member

They’re rubbish that’s why.
    I mean Giant never bungs millions into R&D.
    You never see pro road teams using them.
    You never see them winning in cyclocross both pro and amateur.
    Never seen on the XC or downhill circuit.
    I could go on.
    When STW was in it’s infancy, the Giant team were nowhere to be seen.
    Rubbish rubbish rubbish, there’s always a story about a Giant failing every day, bet there’s loads on here.
    Sadly I’ve always riden and raced them, and probably always paid over the odds unlike some stuff about.
    Cavendish was always in a hurry to finish racing and get off his.

joeegg
    Free Member

For some people mountainbiking is about having the latest “name” or most exclusive badge.A couple of years ago it was Commencal,now its Lapierres(preferably in white around here).
    The Giant marque has never been pushed like this by the media and i don’t think it needs to.I’ve got 2 Giants and both are great,finish,value,perfomance.My previous bike had an exclusive frame which cost more than my complete Giant full sus and was massively overrated.The Reign beats it everywhere.

bigjim

I like my Giant, but I guess they are the bike equivalent of a Toyota. People are more likely to show off and discuss online about their kewl bikes that are probably made by Giant or Merida anyway with very expensive stickers that say something else.

TooTall
    Free Member

*puts hand up*

I’m a giant.

*departs with 20 league strides*

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I love my Giants. One beefed up 07 reign and an 06 TCR Advanced ISP.*

If I won the lottery, I’d still certainly have a few Giants in the stable. Who cares what STW snobs think?

* that is probably one of the most expensive bikes on this forum, despite not being niche…

IA

I ride a giant, partly because they come in giant sizes.

True fact: the headtube on my XL trance is visible from space.

mendip
    Free Member

Well Giant did well to win the ‘bike of the year’ 2 years running with the beautiful Giant Anthem, I guess that said something.

Is STW all for On-One fanboys?

🙄

bigjim

I’m a giant on a Giant too, come to think of it.

J0N
    Free Member

LOL @ oldgit. Nice 😆

My first ‘mtb’ was a Giant Stonebraker. Yeah!

Coleman
    Free Member

What? So Giant aren’t a niche brand?
    Oh ****! Will have to get rid of all mine double quick. How embarrassing.

PS – Also have a few Specialized. I was told they were uber niche. Have I been conned?

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I ride a Giant yet I’m a midget, ironic? 🙂

julianwilson
    Free Member

There is a quiet ‘nrs-love’ contingent on here that includes a couple of very prolific posters, which sometimes pops up and has a quick natter about generally how brill they are/were.

I have a delicioulsly retro xtc/nrs team. And a steel ebb’d singlespeed plus beard to balance it out. I ‘podiumed’ on the ss at the BBB last summer, and I have never come better than 13th on the NRS though, so they must be rubbish. 😉

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

My Gold Reign X0 still gets a comment or two.
    In the last two weeks I’ve had two people randomly offer to buy her as well – must be some appeal 😀

pixelmix
    Free Member

Well Giant did well to win the ‘bike of the year’ 2 years running with the beautiful Giant Anthem, I guess that said something.

Is STW all for On-One fanboys?

I have an Anthem but have a singlespeed On-One too. Am I allowed to stay to hang out with the fanboys please?

damitamit
    Free Member

My new (well frame new to me) Giant. My first one:

mboy
    Free Member

Giants are awesome bikes. I’m struggling to think of a bad one…

I’ve had a Reign X for a couple of years now, it’s awesome. No other bike I’ve ridden in the same category comes close, and I’ve tried a few…

Giant also offer unbeatable VFM compared to all the other major brands, you always get a lighter, better specced bike that rides a cut above the competition, at pretty much every price point.

They may be ubiquitous, but it’s for a reason… They are very good!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Some are great. The Anthem X and the Talon are two of the best bikes in their class at the minute by a country mile.

Some are a bit funny. I’m not mad keen on the Reign. I find it too tall at the front. The Trance is good, but again a touch tall which will put some off. I’d happily own one though. Glory’s been getting middling reviews but I don’t know enough about how DH bikes should ride. They do a nice road bike though.

I’ve got an Anthem X and keep pondering about a Trance if I hadn’t got a Norco that fills that gap. My girlfriend rides an Avail road bike and both her and my mum have CRS/Escape hybrids. They do genuinely great hybrids.

I think the NRS is the worst bike I’ve ever ridden though, bar none.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Quite possibly it was. I’m assuming you didn’t sell Giants in those days and so missed the moral dilemma of having to sell one to someone then. 😆

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I ride a giant, partly because they come in giant sizes.

True fact: the headtube on my XL trance is visible from space.

Used to be true, but they’ve stopped importing XL versions of most models. They’re certainly not the bargain brand that they were a few years ago either

I’ve had a few and never been disappointed.

oldgit
    Free Member

Giants are just good bikes. Nothings sugar coated, there’s nothing ‘real’ about them, they don’t dine out on their history, you don’t have to explain what or why it is to anyone etc etc.
    In Army talk….Bike Mountain one for the use of.

Andituk
    Free Member

The Anthem has been raved about a bit, but other than that, there never seems to be much fuss over Giants, yet whenever they do come up, they always get glowing reports. Love my Trance, it just never seems to put a foot wrong. Had plenty of comments and questions about it when out too.

tazzymtb

if you set up the suspension correctly it was a very fast xc bike. If you wanted a plush sofa that acted as a skill compensator then you wouldn’t like it at all.

The giant VT was a great bike as well for the time.

Looking forward to trying an anthem 29er for race duties.

I like them, but then I’m not a niche fan boy I just like stuff that works for the riding I do regardless of who’s made it 😀

toys19
    Free Member

The NRS is an awesome bike and don’t let anyone say otherwise.

wwaswas

Love my NRS.

After a winter riding riding hardtails with 130mm travel it does take a bit of adjusting to, though, but you get it in the big ring on the top of the Downs and wind it up and you know summers arrived 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

I like the Giant brand, the old VT is my favourite bike of all time, so far 😀 especially for the era it was ridden in and the DH team/comp can be picked up for pennies and once serviced they run great.

As for the newer bikes, they have a lot of good design features and are solidly built.

They are a good brand to own, however there are a lot of brands also comapnies, that could do with a hand, underdog complex. 😉

I think they should get mentioned more and have sales boosted, other wise we would have less choice and that’s not good.

A bit early for STW, have a good day if you can :mrgreen:

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Still loving my XTC.And if I do get another bike,it will be an Anthem.

oldgit
    Free Member

I think people forget how old the NRS is, and that its a race bike first and foremost. I loved mine.
    The Trance was a bit of a grounbreaker, its Maestro set new levels.
    Had them all, but I’ve always had XTCs in frame only option. Riding an XTC makes you wonder how bikes like the ARC sell.

yoshimi

I used to have a Reign, really do not have a bad word to say about it – I also had a Glory………..that was blummin’ heavy!!
    In general, Giants are great bikes IMO

chakaping
    Free Member

Still miss my Anthem and Reign sometimes. Trance was a great bike too in its way.

There’s a lot of talk about the Maestro suspension (and it is good), but it’s the light weight of their newer frames that is really impressive. They make it very easy to build a decently light bike for not a huge amount of money.

I believe the Reign now has a slacker HA and shorter HT than my old ’08 frame, so I may yet be tempted back.

thomthumb
    Free Member

really? I loved mine. i wish i had been able to keep it 🙁

would love an anthem 29er.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘why no giants’ is closed to new replies.