Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Why isn't my name on the Member List on the Advanced Search ?
  • It’s not that important really, but sometimes I want to look up an answer again to a question I remember asking a long time ago and searching for a key word or two against my name would be the easiest way to find it.
    Except that my name is not there.

bearnecessities

chambord
    Free Member

Put site:singletrackworld.com in a Google search. Much better than the search in the forum

brakes
    Free Member

neither is mine

scotroutes

Because that bit of the database is broken.

Jamie
    Free Member

site:singletrackworld.com “MidlandTrailquestsGraham”+”xxxx”+”xxxx”

Copy and paste the above into Google. Swapping the words in the “”, after your name, for the search terms you’re after.

It has been a while since I pissed about with Googles syntax, so you may not even need to include the ” and +’s.

z1ppy

Nope mine disappeared, after being there for years, the list was originally supposedly the first 3000 member (IIRC) but of late it’s been updated broken
    So I emailed the site & asked for my User ID number, and alter the search to find what I’m looking for (start an advanced search using some-one else name, then substitute my ID into the web address)

Stoner
    Free Member

I asked the hamster wrangler the same question the other day. The answer :

The list is limited, in theory, to the most recent 3500 posters. We usually get that many posts per day so users can easily drop off the list within a week or so. Ultimately listing every user is not practical for our site. I am however going to look again at the code.

hilldodger
    Free Member

“Forum activity” in your user profile should give all the threads you’ve contributed to

Northwind

Mine is never there and, well, I am one of the 3500 most recent posters 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I asked the hamster wrangler the same question the other day…

STW forums remind me of the NHS.

It somehow manages to work, without anyone knowing exactly how.

scotroutes

How about now?

Northwind

Nope. But stacks of people I’ve never heard of. Hang on, an incredibly obvious experiment… Picking someone more or less at random, Northernlite hasn’t posted for a week but appears in the list.

brakes
    Free Member

will a google search reveal why I keep coming back to this thread?

scotroutes

[quote=Jamie ]
    It somehow manages to work, without anyone knowing exactly how.
    [/quote]

Thanks Chambord & Jamie.
    I sort of knew how to do that, but wasn’t sure of the exact method.
    Looks like that’s the easiest way in future then.
    Come to think of it, why don’t STW, and other sites for that matter, just do that anyway ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Heh…suck it, Druidh.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

🙁

brakes
    Free Member

[googles ‘numbers templates for ipad by vertex42’]
    is disappoint

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Exciting stuff fills my world when it comes to tax return time. 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

I don’t exist when I look for me either! 😥

GrahamS

Seems like a separate button for “Me” might be a good idea if people are frequently searching for their own stuff?

Personally I just use the “Forum Activity” thing to find stuff I’ve posted in the past few months and Google for anything older.

Jamie
    Free Member

Personally I just use the “Forum Activity” thing to find stuff I’ve posted in the past few months and Google for anything older.

It’s not as if you have a choice, Graham.

DezB
    Free Member

Because the “Advanced Search” is not very advanced. In fact, it’ pretty stupid. I start a thread about it once, you know. Went to about 20 pages.

Jamie
    Free Member

Because the “Advanced Search” is not very advanced. In fact, it’ pretty stupid. I start a thread about it once, you know. Went to about 20 pages.

What do you mean?

*clicks advanced search*

*clicks advanced search*

GrahamS

It’s not as if you have a choice, Graham.

True – actually browsing through the list of names it offers I hardly recognised any of them so I suspect the “3500 Most Recent Posters” logic is deeply screwed up!

wwaswas

Maybe it’s the most recent 3000 people who started to post and thought ‘nahh’ and went and rode their bikes?

Stoner
    Free Member

nah, I reckon there’s another STW forum that none of us have been told exists and it’s full of well informed political debate and tyre advice. This is the B Ark, people.

GrahamS

Riding bikes? You mean like push bikes? That’s just for kids isn’t it?

wwaswas

This is the B Ark, people.

Yay! I got promoted!

Why wasn’t I told?

Drac

nah, I reckon there’s another STW forum that none of us have been told exists and it’s full of well informed political debate and tyre advice. This is the B Ark, people.

Shit we’ve been rumbled, quick we need a distraction.

Ladies and Gentleman, Mr Conway Twitty.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1fX-FvKW8[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

Got pointed to this thread as I was having the same issue (and it is still broken – to be honest I don’t think I’d be surprised after 2 years, let alone 2 weeks). Thanks Jamie.

Isn’t that question a bit like why doesn’t STW just use industry standard forum software which works for lots of other large forums on the internet, provides lots of the functionality which is missing from here and has less bugs? Though if I understood correctly the STW search is based on Google, but with some bugs added obviously as otherwise you wouldn’t get the STW character.

Cougar

BBpress is pretty standard software. What would you suggest instead?

aracer
    Free Member

Well if it is industry standard they must have some really clever developers to make it work worse than other forums.

aracer
    Free Member

Copy and paste the above into Google. Swapping the words in the “”, after your name, for the search terms you’re after.
    It has been a while since I pissed about with Googles syntax, so you may not even need to include the ” and +’s.
    [/quote]

Works fine without the quotes or the +s – thanks 🙂

Cougar

Well if it is industry standard they must have some really clever developers to make it work worse than other forums.

From what I remember when this has cropped up previously, any suggestion of major changes to the forum has been met with fairly stiff and vocal resistance from the majority of the userbase.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Why isn't my name on the Member List on the Advanced Search ?’ is closed to new replies.