Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • Why is there such a crap atmosphere on STW forum ?
  • chiefgrooveguru

It’s fascinating how so many riders get really wound up by anyone mentioning actual measured speeds/distances/times round a course or heights/lengths of drops/gaps. Just because someone has mentioned a quantifiable amount doesn’t mean they’re competing with you or showing off. And even if they are, you can’t have a competition if there’s no-one else to compete with! Is it a crime to benchmark yourself? And aren’t snide comments in response to such posts merely an admission of both (subconscious) competitiveness and insecurity?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Just because someone has mentioned a quantifiable amount doesn’t mean they’re competing with you or showing off

115 posts today…. boooyaaa!

Edit: 116.

grum
    Free Member

Just because someone has mentioned a quantifiable amount doesn’t mean they’re competing with you or showing off.

No some people are just wanting to benchmark themselves against others and get motivation to do better etc. But there are also a fair number of nobbish willy-wavers.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Not necessarily a knobbish willy waver, just faster than you 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

Linked thread looks fine to me, having a delicate day? What’s with all this whining about the forum being less pleasant/more argumentative etc? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it this harmonious in years of being here.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Why is there such a crap atmosphere on STW forum ?

I don’t really think there is.

clubber
    Free Member

Overall there isn’t. There are just a few ‘big hitters’ who tend to drag everything down with annoying regularity on threads that otherwise may have been interesting/useful/etc.

simonm
    Free Member

mmm, tis true, its not a very positive forum.

ton

i noticed it a bit after a week on holiday
    keep away from politics threads
    and any thread started by or featuring
    teej
    fred
    darcy
    woppitt
    jamie
    ernie
    solo
    idave
    tsi
    junky
    and cynical………….. 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

You missed a couple Ton 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

This would mean genuine readers can work through what posts are worth reading and what posts have been ruined by those who seem to want to bicker about politics on a bike forum.

Kind of self regulating
    Do you really think a little label to tell you which posts are worth reading and which are not is necessary? Can’t you work that one out for yourself? If you want to join the juveniles just use killfile to block the users you don’t like. I think there is a level of pettyness that already exists here, just look at the tags, so allowing people to anonymously leave negative feedback ain’t going to work, it will just encourage more pathetic attempts at on-line bullying.

Kind of self regulating? I think it already is.
    I’m actually with ton on this, any thread started by the miscreants on his list are best avoided.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Don & Ton +1

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

any thread started by or featuring
    teej
    fred
    darcy
    woppitt
    jamie
    ernie
    solo
    idave
    tsi
    junky
    and cynical…..

So just the classifieds, yeah?

oldnpastit

I used to get annoyed and upset by the absurd, deliberately provocative and inflammatory trolls that get posted on here. But now I just chill out and relax. I try to remember that I’m in control of my own feelings about what people post.

bigyinn
    Free Member

There does seem to be a bit of a faction on here who insist on bickering on and on and on regardless. They should really STFU once they’ve made their point, but they can’t.

yossarian
    Free Member

What is the point of threads like this? This forum is not really any different to any mid sized public space on the interned. Why consume yourselves about how bad it is/how good it used to be/who is the wrongist?

I am constantly amazed by how angry people get when someone says something they disagree with. That’s the heart of the problem if one exists.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

i noticed it a bit after a week on holiday
    keep away from politics threads
    and any thread started by or featuring
    teej
    fred
    darcy
    woppitt

What did I do? 🙁

toppers3933
    Free Member

Ton you can add ilovemygears to that list. Although his latest thread appears to have been closed down anyway.

binners

Threads like this always remind me of the letters Viz magazine used to publish about not being as funny as it used to be. Until they started putting “Officially not as funny as it used to be” on the cover.

Perhaps the powers that be should do the same and put “just the usual bunch of moaning old ****s bickering again” on the front page

Jamie
    Free Member

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

tsi

😕

ton in not being able to stand the heat shocka! 😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t know who that is either Darcy, but WLTM. 🙂

binners

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s ton shitting ‘imself I reckon.

Bunnyhop

Jamie – that really is sooo funny.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Okay, can someone start a thread on the Barnett Formula please?

It’s definitely time the ‘big hitters’ argued for 5-6 pages about whether or not Scotland gets too much money.

Thanks.

IanMunro
    Free Member

The BBC are on to it now 😀

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013gd28

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I want an Egg Cuber. 😐

Is this wrong?

beanieripper
    Free Member

God, talk about obsessed. Get a life, go ride your bike… have you got a real social life?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No. 😥

BTW what are you doing posting that on an internet forum, just out of inertest? 😆

kudos100
    Free Member

I’ve been a member of many different forums and this is by far the worst interms of sniping, b1tching and whining.

It seems as though some people have nothing better to do than argue and put others down.

Maybe it is to do with the demograhic the forum attracts? Maybe the Moderation is looser?, Maybe some of these guys were picked on at school or are not getting any from their wives? 😆

What ever the reason, I’ve found it best to ignore the victor meldrews and chat with the people who don’t seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

Overall the forum is great, bar a few idiots who act like plonkers on here, when they wouldn’t dare behave like it in real life.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve been a member of many different forums and this is by far the worst interms of sniping, b1tching and whining.

So you thought you’d bitch and whine on this thread then? Join in the fun, as it were…

It seems as though some people have nothing better to do than argue and put others down.

Then, right:

Maybe some of these guys were picked on at school or are not getting any from their wives?

What ever the reason, I’ve found it best to ignore the victor meldrews and chat with the people who don’t seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

Ahem… 😉

I do this for you for free, not for payment. Help make World better place for everyone. 🙂

beanieripper
    Free Member

Thank god, because I wouldnt pay you for your contribution!

tazzymtb

actually I think it’s a rather jolly place, even the general grumpies are endearing and just now and then a right little gem of a thread pops up that can make an otherwise poo day seem a bit better.

Graham, if you are feeling unloved, just ask for a big man hug, but please don’t wear your purple and pink lycra 😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No, do wear the lycra 🙂

Tazzy… I went to that there London Carnival in the end so never made it to Cannock… what’s your itinerarararary over the next couple of weeks?

kudos100
    Free Member

Ahhh wannabe moderator Elf. This sums up what is partly wrong with the forum, someone always ready to jump down your throat for having an opinion.

On the internet there is always going to be someone posting up stuff you don’t agree with. What I don’t get is the need to constantly engage them.

If someone posts up something I don’t agree with, I don’t feel the need to get involved unless it is racist, overtly sexist or downright rude and obnoxious.

As a general rule I don’t take the stuff people post on the net too seriously, as the amount of fairytail caped internet crusaders is rediculious.

This forum has some real gems, but you have to search through the muck to get to it.

compositepro
    Free Member

Are the majority of folk on here northerners?

RustySpanner

Getting rid of tags would be a good, positive move.
    Cowards charter IMO.

As would life bans for multiple log ins.
    (Northern) Say what you like, but have the balls to stand by what you bloody well say.
    (Northern)

Yours,
    George Integrity Whitebread.

ton

on a serious note………….i do actually think the forum is fine.
    even the list of usual suspects is ok, barring one……… 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

Ahhh wannabe moderator Elf. This sums up what is partly wrong with the forum, someone always ready to jump down your throat for having an opinion.

Good to see it doesn’t get to you.

This forum has some real gems, but you have to search through the muck to get to it.

Would they be so gemlike if it wasn’t for the muck?

I think the circle has now been completed in that the people who care so little have now been bothered to tell us how little they care. 😕

EDIT:

Getting rid of tags would be a good, positive move.

I disagree, the tags serve a function and the OP should be the only one who has the ability to add tags, suggestions could be made in the thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Why is there such a crap atmosphere on STW forum ?’ is closed to new replies.