Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Why is peaceful protest considered ‘Civil unrest’ by our govenment?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

I just came across this article
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7905172.stm

“Police are preparing to face a “summer of rage” in the UK as people join protests over the economic downturn, says a senior Met Police officer.
    “Known activists” were likely to foment unrest, with the recession creating more “footsoldiers” to join them, Supt David Hartshorn told the Guardian.”

Surely there is only likely to be significant unrest if people are genuinely unhappy and have no other effective way to be heard? And scarily what constitutes a “known activist” – a member of Liberty civil rights? A left wing polititcian? A football thug? The policemans reaction seems somewhat over the top.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

PS Sorry, I am terrible at spelling.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

And scarily what constitutes a “known activist”

quite a lot, and even more if the government continues to invade our privacy. Library records anyone?

Stoner
    Free Member

statisticaly speaking if you take (hot) summer weather and economic recession you get the two greatest negative environmental influences on civil obedience coinciding.

Inspector Knacker of the yard just isnt quite able to get that inevitability across without using all those words from the Home Office Book of Baddies phrasebook.

richc
    Free Member

Don’t worry, I am sure someone from the Home office will soon spin it so that “Known activists” = “terrorists” soon.

What I think we need is a nice curfew, and give the police the right to lock up darkies/ragheads/anyone who looks at them funny, that way we can all be safe.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

and give the police the right to lock up darkies/ragheads/anyone who looks at them funny

they already have that

nickc

“Known activists” were likely to foment unrest,

I love this phrase, I imagine great copper brewing vats full of beardie weirdies all seething at articles in the Daily Mail being chucked in at the top. Simmer for a couple of weeks, add police for violent re-action…

BigDummy
    Free Member

Well, what has been happening in Greece could usefully be described as “civil unrest” rather than “peaceful protest”.

And presumably the expression “known activists” includes the chaps who demolish Starbucks on Mayday or Palestine demos and then turn Critical Mass into a PitA.

It may not all be entirely sinister secret police nonsense, but we are certainly being softened up to perceive heavy handed policing of demos as a thin blue line against anarchy.

hora
    Free Member

Animal rights activists have already been redefined as terrorists/terrorism.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

some animal rights activists commit acts of terror, that’s why.

darrell
    Free Member

cause you live in a fascist police state and the sooner you realise that the better

sofatester
    Free Member

Terrorist = An individual or group that uses violence, terror, and intimidation to achieve a result.

So yes hora, (some) animal rights activists are indeed “terrorists”

How would you define out forces in Iraq and Afganistan?

hora
    Free Member

sofatester, thats just it. I do NOT see animal right activists as terrorists. Does that make me a terrorism sympathiser?
    How would you define out forces in Iraq and Afganistan?
    I’m going nowhere near that one.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

RIOT!!!

Over the last few years, the ‘right to protest’ has slowly been eroded, to the extent that it is now quite difficult to actually organise any form of legitimate democratic protest.

Coppers like this are entering the political realm, with such comments. This is not the police’s job. Their job is to protect society, and also peoples’ democratic rights.

It is worrying. Divide and Rule policies have led to many people looking over their shoulders at their neighbours. A very false sense of fear has been carefully engineered, to make people feel that they only belong to smaller and smaller groups. Such small groups are easier to manage…

This is why people should not see Pikeys, Darkies, Gays, Muslims, Pinkos, Jews or anyone else as their enemies, but as their fellow citizens.

The powers that be don’t give a **** about the vast majority of people. They care only about keeping the wealth and power within their own, secure little enclave. S’always been like that, really.

But they would certainly prefer everyone to be frightened, docile, subservient and easily controlled.

This copper does not in any way even realise he’s just a little puppet himself, being used to carry out the work of his masters…

RIOT!

darrell
    Free Member

like i said before….FASCISM

sofatester
    Free Member

Does that make me a terrorism sympathiser?

Yes, 42 days anyone?

I’m going nowhere near that one.

Wise move.

Your right Rudeboy, doubt your going to make any friends among the policemen/women, forces personnel and civil servants on STW though!

Keep it up dear boy.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

sofatester, thats just it. I do NOT see animal right activists as terrorists

😯

[dons flameproof jacket]

Acts of violence are more defensible when perpetrated in the name of a religion than the defence of iclke fwuffy wabbits.

darrell
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

Acts of violence are more defensible when perpetrated in the name of a religion than the defence of iclke fwuffy wabbits.

couldnt disagree more there MrMW.

Acts of violence are more defensible as a defence from harm. And that’s pretty much it. Everything else is outright destructive agression. And doing it because of your favourite fairytale is only defensible on the grounds of being unhinged at the time.

IMO

hora
    Free Member

If you had a foreign army in the UK policing the streets dictating policy etc. What would you do?

sofatester
    Free Member

I’d try and kill them all, just like what’s happening abroad.

I rest my case.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

stoner – perhaps I worded that wrong, maybe justifiable would have been a better word than defensible.

both are fairy tales but from a psychological point of view believing in re-incarnation/life after death/martyrdom makes more sense

to me

not that I do you understand

neither are sanely defensible in our society

hora
    Free Member

Suicide bombers are either all mentally weak, inept, cohered or groomed. Or….some are very brave and cant see any other way to fight a mighty machine. There is the ancient story of David and Goliath yet we regularly see pictures of Palestinians armed with slings fighting armed to the teeth soldiers..

sofatester
    Free Member

I think this has got a little OP gentlemen, what about the riots in London?

hora
    Free Member

The Police’s heavy handed tactics with the Countryside Alliance march got me abit

sootyandjim
    Free Member

So any chance of a repeat performance of the Poll Tax riots in the summer?

We could call them the “no more boom and bust” riots.

Stoner
    Free Member

riots in London are a pain for me as my client’s offices are down at Trafalgar square. And for some reason the crusties seem to want to congregate there. Seems very odd since the only embassies to throw bags of poo at are the Saffers and Mounties and there’s all that water in the fountains that Id thought they’d naturally be averse to…

miketually
    Free Member

riots in London are a pain for me as my client’s offices are down at Trafalgar square. And for some reason the crusties seem to want to congregate there. Seems very odd since the only embassies to throw bags of poo at are the Saffers and Mounties and there’s all that water in the fountains that Id thought they’d naturally be averse to…

Aren’t they herded there by the police?

IWH
    Free Member

Bring down the UK Government? Heaven Forbid the Benefits Classes get off their asses and actually protest!

I’m kidding. We’re all guilty of being far too complacent. The problem is there’s absolutely no fight left in the Population. The past 30 years have rendered us incapable of complaining or causing a fuss because we don’t want to do anything that might interrupt our plans to buy that new TV / Car / Sofa / Outfit on 3 years interest free credit.

The past 9 years have seen the screws quietly but very effectively turned on our ‘civil liberties’ to the point where we’ve given up practically all right to protest and privacy and there’s not a bloody thing we can do about it without being labelled a terrorist or activist.

sofatester
    Free Member

IWH – Well worded sir.

Saved me typing something along those lines 😆

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Aren’t they herded there by the police?

Easy area to contain. Routes in and out can be cut off very effectively. Then allows the police to move in and ‘squeeze’ the crowd, grab people they want to, and generally quell the demo, if they wish to.

Next big riot, I’m going to lead a lynch mob up to Stoner’s office, and photocopy his head.

About time Britain had a change. Sick of this bollocks greedy system.

RIOT!

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Kids these days have no fight in them for political unrest.

{Wanders off grumbling about the good old days}

RB – If it does all kick off in London do you mind if we all doss at your gaff?

sofatester
    Free Member

What’s the point though Sooty?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

What’s the point though Sooty?

What for political/civil unrest?

Well if its done on a large enough scale and with enough intent it might just remind the government they are the tail and shouldn’t be wagging the dog.

Stoner
    Free Member

saved you the hassle Fred:

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Sooty- no worries, mate! It’s only a little place, mind, but there’s a park nearby, so people could bring tents.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

LOL!!!

That’s cheered me up, that has!

Cheers, Stoner!

😆

IWH
    Free Member

If it wouldn’t screw me royally for any travel I want to do in the future I’d be all up for marching and protesting. Sadly if I get my collar felt (and looking the way I do you can be sure I would) I’m stuffed.

So, QUIET RIOT!! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

as my client’s offices are down at Trafalgar square.

Don’t you meet your ‘clients’ in hotels like other hookers/Gigolo’s? 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Why is peaceful protest considered ‘Civil unrest’ by our govenment?’ is closed to new replies.