• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Rio.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Why is OS X and iOS software getting so bad? (I’m an ex-fanboi)
  • brexitrefugee
    Free Member

I’ve just gone to iOS13 and Catalina, and I really wish I hadn’t – absolute bobbins 🙁

I listen to a huge amount of audiobooks and podcasts and the way of syncing between the laptop and the computer – well, it just doesn’t work any more, and is simply continuing a downward path in terms of the usability and functionality of the software.

A case in point – no-longer can I edit the metadata on my audiobooks 🤷‍♂️

To the extent that I’m thinking my next laptop is going to be a Windows surface.

Anyone else getting fed up with the pointless upgrade path that really doesn’t seem to add value?

mrpeaski
    Free Member

I misread your post and was going to suggest Calibre as there is a version for MacOS.

A quick google of ‘macos audiobook meta data editor’ revealed this lengthy set of posts.

How Do I Manage My Audiobook Library In MacOS Catalina?

TL DR, at the bottom someone mentions MetaZ

A link for which is here  https://metaz.io/

Any good to you?

Not a MacOS user (never have been ) and only just converted to Windows 10

peterno51

I would agree, incremental feature updates that detract from the simplicity of the core. IOS13 is buggy with poor UI changes.

4/10, must try harder.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    doris5000

Same – I switched to Macs in 2007 (mainly for music/audio reasons) and was so blown away by how good Snow Leopard was I became an instant evangelist.

I’ve been steadily more and more disappointed with every OS release since (and the soldered hardware with no ports), and this last month I’ve had several emails from music companies telling me straight up not to upgrade to Catalina because everything will break.

If I wasn’t 15 years into using Logic Pro most days I’d jump ship at the next laptop upgrade point. Fortunately Apple hardware is quite solid so my 2015 MBP should be good for another 2 or 3 years. But I don’t know which way I’ll go when it finally gives up the ghost

spacemonkey

Me no relate to the issues you chaps mention. Went back to OSX (Mojave in this instance) 6 months ago as I’m soooooo bored of Windows. A much more rounded experience compared to the days of Mountain Lion IMO. I have the odd Drive sync issue but that happens on my Win 10 laptop too. Other than that it’s bang on. Not firing up Catalina just yet through.

As for iOS 13, well on my XR it’s stable but hardly groundbreaking. On the iPad Pro I used short term it was excellent.

jimdubleyou

Yeah, I’m slowly coming back to Windows.

Didn’t have a win machine in the house for a while (Macbook, a MBP, imac and a mini server at one point) now just down to the mini and the MBP is still in the garage for zwift duties.

Laptop has been replaced by a Dell running win10 which is pretty usable these days.

Mini is running Catalina, no issues so far, but tbh I’m a lot more in the cloud these days (e.g. gmail over browser) so not seen any showstoppers. When the mini dies (or more likely doesn’t support the latest os) I’ll have to see where we are…

However, having had one foray into Android a few years ago, I can’t see me ditching ios any time soon.

DrJ

No problems with iOS13 – I like the dark mode, and the shortcuts.

Haven’t upgraded to Catalina til I’m sure my key software will work (CaptureOne mainly) but I’m looking forward to using Sidecar

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, well, I like MacOS Catalina. They’ve listened to the detractors of the iTunes platform and at least that bit means you can access all your media in sections now.

Photos I’m just a bit meh with.

The rest? well it’s ok IMO.. but I do think they’re overcomplicating it. One standout feature was OS and IOS was always simple and different… I get the impression that they’re trying to over complicate it all to make it as buggy as Windows… and to some degree they’re certainly succeeding..

Oh, one other real stupid move is the iPhone/itunes sync… oh, yeah like going through 4 screens to backup the phone is like a brilliant idea innit… erm; no….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

noticed yesterday that the swype functonality on the keyboard in IOS 13 on the ipad only works if you float the keyboard, making it much smaller.

Can’t see the logic in that at all, has to be a mistake, had to install google gboard again.

big_scot_nanny

Oh, one other real stupid move is the iPhone/itunes sync… oh, yeah like going through 4 screens to backup the phone is like a brilliant idea innit… erm; no….

I don’t sync at all with local Mac, just over the cloud – but if I did, wouldn’t I just do it through finder? or am I missing something?

Catalina has borked a few things for me, told my team to NOT UPGRADE yet until sorted. I was bring escalated through various levels of Mac tech support, until eventually today they said “your issues are common, there is no fix until the next release of Catalina” – great!

iOS 13 I do like though, especially on the iPad.

Garry_Lager

Thinking of going the other way myself – have a surface 4 which is superb for teaching and making notes, software in general is very good, but it’s just an unbelievable POS for hardware failures. Have experienced broken touch screen, keyboard and pen interface just on mine and colleagues have had the same.
    Don’t use or like apple products much but have an ancient ipad that still works, and tend to think their hardware is very solid.

molgrips
    Free Member

I use both, MacOS looks crude and dated now to me. The ‘features’ look very 2000s and seem to be purely to let you interact with other Apple kit or services. Also just acquired a large 4k monitor which is great for laying out all my app windows, but having an app in the bottom right and having to go all the way to the top left for its menu is just frigging annoying.

molgrips
    Free Member

have a surface 4 which is superb for teaching and making notes, software in general is very good, but it’s just an unbelievable POS for hardware failures. Have experienced broken touch screen, keyboard and pen interface just on mine and colleagues have had the same.

Check out Samsung Galaxy Books – same idea, different manufacturer. Also, MS are now three iterations further along with Surfaces so have a look if they’ve improved the hardware. My later model Pro 4 has been fine.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I was very happy with iOS13 when it was new, but I got bored of dark mode pretty quickly and it took a while for the bugs to appear. On balance, it’s worse than 12 for me.

Richie_B

Upgrading to Catalina has been a complete pain. The old CAD system crashes every five minutes, unfortunately the software key to the update doesn’t seem compatible with Catalina (I thought it was down to my ineptitude but the software company can’t get it to work either). So so far its cost several hundred for the update and two days completely unproductive work

Rio

As a home user I’ve found both Catalina and iOS/ipadOS 13 to be pretty stable, but if you’re still reliant on 32 bit applications then I understand your pain. On the other hand Apple’s continual tinkering with their own apps for no apparent reason is doing my head in. For example, the random changes to the way Photos, on all platforms, organises and displays your photos are particularly bizarre. Then again, we’ve just moved from Office 2007/2008 to Office 365 (because 2007 is out of support on Windows and 2008 doesn’t work on Catalina) and it makes Apple’s changes look entirely sensible in comparison.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Why is OS X and iOS software getting so bad? (I’m an ex-fanboi)’ is closed to new replies.