Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Why is my clutch mech like this…
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

Installed it but it springs up against the chain stay…

Any ideas?

RealMan
    Free Member

Like it’s constantly against the chainstay? With the bike in the workstand or whatever?

Is the hanger ok? There’s a bit on it that stops the mech swinging forward, but it can snap off.

theotherjonv

There’s no b spring but there is still a tab to get behind the notch on the dropout, have you got that positioned right?

patriotpro
    Free Member

patriotpro
    Free Member

Does this pic help? Is it hung correctly?

tonyd

Looks like you might need to wind the adjuster screw in to push the mech down/out. Not the high/low stop adjusters, the other one that pushes against the hanger.

Edit: And as mentioned above, make sure it’s seated on the hanger correctly. It’s pretty hard to do these days but thinking about it my old FSR was a little easier to mis place it. Check where/how it’s stopping up against the hanger.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I thought that but it’s all the way in 😕

theotherjonv

I think your first link is wrong (from the frame fixing bolt to the pivot). Will photo mine if necessary, but on mine it is much further back. Check the b limit tab like I said up there.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Looks to me like you have missed the tab on the part that bolts to the frame,theres a lug on it that should hook behind the stop.

the_lecht_rocks

Need to install the thing on the bolt behind the stop…. I can’t explain, but its fixable…

patriotpro
    Free Member

B limit is in as far as it will go. Would appreciate a pic. 😉

dantsw13

I think theotherjohnv has it. Wen you screw the mech into the hanger, you need to ensure the little tab on the mech sits on the mech hangar.

This techdoc has a picture under “installation of the rear derailleur”.
    Shimano techdoc

patriotpro
    Free Member

Think it may be sorted, just of around the block, will report back…

matthew_h
    Free Member

The short link on the mech that goes from the frame’s mech hanger to the pivot on the mech is not fitted correctly. You need to slacken the mech’s mounting bolt off, rotate the link round (clockwise as you look at it in that pic) so the link sits more like horizontally and the tab on the link sits against tab on the mech hanger and then retighten the bolt. Job will then be a good’un

matthew_h
    Free Member

Ah, too slow there with my typing

theotherjonv

Can’t be arsed to photo bucket it to be able to post on here, everyone else seems to have come to the same conclusion, so have emailed you directly instead

rondo101
    Free Member

My wife managed to install her rear mech the same way after we got back from france. It’s not the adjustment screw, you need to have the black bit of the mech that’s attached to your mech hanger horizontal.

patriotpro
    Free Member

All sorted, it was how it was hung. Thank you very much indeed for your help and for answering so quick.

BTW it feels smooth as silk now. I’d heard how quiet the clutch thingies make and its not just quiet but silent.

Very impressed.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Why is my clutch mech like this…’ is closed to new replies.