Why I love my XT Brakes….

Home Forum Bike Forum Why I love my XT Brakes….

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Why I love my XT Brakes….
  • smaca

Did a full day of riding on Friday round the peaks.

Before I left knew my pads were low, but at short notice hadn’t got any spares. Stopped at 18 bikes in Hope enroute, picked up a spare pair (obviously in stock) for £7.50, just in case.

Rode till the old ones were on the metal. Pulled over, and using the cheapest multitool known to man (from a Tesco own brand puncture repair kit), swapped pads in under 1 minute, and away we go…

Today, riding with daughter round the Gnar that is Sherwood Pines, her Juicy 3s started dragging really badly. Faffed around re-centering calipers, etc. etc. Ok for 10 mins, but soon draggy again. Rinse and repeat.

Oh did I mention they seem to stop me pretty good too 🙂

devash

You forgot to mention how easy they are to bleed.

smaca

You forgot to mention how easy they are to bleed.

That’s the beauty I didn’t need to 😉

But when I put them on the bike I had to shorten the hoses….

… oh didn’t need to bleed them then either 😀

devash

That’s the beauty I didn’t need to

… oh didn’t need to bleed them then either

Exactly. 😆

Best brakes. Period.

oldnick

And if you reverse bleed them with a syringe it takes – ooh – minutes.

Premier Icon breadcrumb
    Subscriber

Just like my Elixirs then!

Premier Icon riddoch
    Subscriber

But they just don’t look as nice as Hopes 🙂

godzilla

Just like my Hope tech 3 then! but plastic looking, with less modulation, being as they are so cheap you should treat your daughter to some.

smaca

But they just don’t look as nice as Hopes

I’ll hang my head in shame, and get some of these:
    http://www.hotpog.co.uk/

😆

dan1980

It’s a touch unfair comparing your £180 brakes vs your daughters £60 set (based on full RRP)

For the price, I’d hope they’d be easy to set up. My main issue with shimano brakes is the lack of serviceable parts and kits when they do go wrong.

hexhamstu

Comparing top end shimano to bottom end sram, please try harder next time.

JCL

Wait till your piston seals start pissing oil.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

u iz awesome dude, do you do autographs?

smaca

u iz awesome dude, do you do autographs?

Thanks. Sure thing on the signature do you want it made out to you or your boyfriend?

dantsw13

So compare me Deores to the juicy’s – all the advantages quoted, with less twiddly knobs. I wouldn’t buy anything else at the moment.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

hexhamstu – Member

Comparing top end shimano to bottom end sram, please try harder next time.

XT isn’t top end Shimano. And pricewise, Juicy 3s are pretty much on a level with XT.

Premier Icon Nick
    Subscriber

Wait till your piston seals start pissing oil.

Yup I had an XT caliper fail like that, non serviceable so went in the bin to be replaced by an SLX caliper.

They do work well, but when they stop working they can’t be fixed.

hexhamstu

XT isn’t top end Shimano. And pricewise, Juicy 3s are pretty much on a level with XT.

You are off your head. They don’t even make the juicy range anymore….

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Have a google- can still be bought new, but before they were discontinued were priced at the same point as XT. It’s a fair comparison. Though even if it weren’t, dantsw13 is spot on, deore has the same strengths for less money.

Whatever else, calling XT top end is daft.

hexhamstu

Alright fair point I revise what I said to:

Comparing XT brakes with a brake everyone knows is shit.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Great thread.

Premier Icon righog
    Subscriber

In an industry wide conspiracy, Juicy 3’s were invented to make all other brakes looks good….Perhaps ?

smaca

It was never meant to be a proper like for like comparison. Just my experience of riding over the last few days.

I have heard about the oil seals, but jinxing things mine have been good so far. If I do have a problem I’ll probably bung a set of SLX calipers on anyway rather than trying to fix them. At £23 the complete thing isn’t much more than a set of pads.

Not everyone knows Juicy 3s are shit (if I had I would have ordered my bike with something else from the get go).

TBH Complete SLX or even Deores would do me. I just ordered my XTs before they trickled down that style of brakes to the lower models.

Easy of getting hold of pads, ease of pad replacement trail side, decent stopping power, and lack of faffing are more important to me than bling/brand/ultimate modulation/weight. In all these respects, for me and my usage, Shimano have delivered.

dan1980

Northwind wrote:

Have a google- can still be bought new, but before they were discontinued were priced at the same point as XT. It’s a fair comparison. Though even if it weren’t, dantsw13 is spot on, deore has the same strengths for less money.
    Whatever else, calling XT top end is daft.

Having googled, I can’t see any new Jucy 3s for sale. I think they stopped making them in 2010? The nearest is their replacement the Elixer 1 (inc rotors), at £70 rrp still vs £189 (ex rotors) for the XT.

A full set of 2013 Deore brakes will set you back £149 at full rrp, but at least they include rotors at that price. (Obviously they can can be picked up cheaper, but it’s more accurate to compare RRPs)

The deore’s are a very different brake from the SLX and higher models as they don’t feature the cam technology (Servowave?) and a friend had a devil of a job getting his deores to not rub on his discs, and you can’t use floating/icetech rotors without some judicious filing because of the calliper design.

fenred

The deore’s are a very different brake from the SLX and higher models as they don’t feature the cam technology (Servowave?)

You are incorrect, deore do have servo wave.

cultsdave

The deore’s are a very different brake from the SLX and higher models as they don’t feature the cam technology (Servowave?) and a friend had a devil of a job getting his deores to not rub on his discs, and you can’t use floating/icetech rotors without some judicious filing because of the calliper design.

WRONG!!

They have less machining making them cheaper and heavier. I think the pistons are not ceramic too. Power is the same and they are just as easy to set up.

banks

Only xtr have ceramic pistons. I’m sure all you experts will prove me wrong thou

Premier Icon chrisdw
    Subscriber

My slx brakes have ceramic pistons

smaca

Only xtr have ceramic pistons. I’m sure all you experts will prove me wrong thou

XT too.

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/global_cycle/en/au/index/products/disc_brakes/deore_xt.html

“Over-sized 22mm Ceramic pistons”

By no means an expert, but I did remember something in the install instructions warning about using metal items to push back the pistons as it would damage the ceramic.

I had to Google it to make sure I wasn’t going mad.

crispyrice

I just got a new bike with XTR brakes, I can’t say there is any difference between them and the XT brakes on my other bike. Except the wee gold coloured bit.

dantsw13

Yep – even last years Deores had Servowave.

I haven’t looked at XTR, but basically XT, SLX and Deore are the same basic design, with better lighter materials, and more tool free adjust on the higher models. Deore used to have the old style Shimano pads, but this year has the new centre bolt so it can take finned pads if you want.

why i love xt brakes, is simple they are pretty special! get used to the on/offish power and they are unbeatable i think

ive used formula rx/the ones, old xt, hope tech x2, avid juicy and elixir and the new style xt are better than all of them combined in my experience

im using hope floating rotors but i may try soem of the ice tech ones in the new year

the main thing ive noticed is the finned pads, ive run them from new now for way over a month, and done loads of rides on them and the finned sintered pads are still like new

i keep getting home after a big ride in the peak full of grit etc expecting that they will be wearing down or even worn and not a thing, still got the chamfered edge and no further wear!

i reckon the superstar/disco pads i was using were getting through the same rides/conditions in a bout 2-3 weeks being full worn down to metal, well over a month on a still not a sign of any wear

needless to say i will be buying the finned pads again, the weather and conditions have got worse since i had the xt too so really does prove to me personally just how great the brakes are and pads too

and the price is nuts i got a set fitted with finned pads for 140 from my LBS

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Why I love my XT Brakes….’ is closed to new replies.