Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)
  • Why haven't we adopted kms instead of miles yet???
  • chvck
    Free Member

I tend to use metric and can kinda handle ounces etc… when I’m cooking. Then my (American) girlfriend will step in and tell me measurements in cups. That one throws me, what sized cup?!

hugor
    Free Member

Then my (American) girlfriend will step in and tell me measurements in cups. That one throws me, what sized cup?!

You’re right bra sizes should be measured in litres as well. Alphabetical is nonsense.

chiefgrooveguru

Being able to handle metric and imperial systems makes you better at mental arithmetic! Metric is easier for engineering calculations, whilst imperial units are more intuitive to human sized entities.

molgrips
    Free Member

“I’ll go the extra one point six one kilometres for him, he’s a lovely chap”

I’m going to use that one PP, with your permission 🙂

MadPierre

A pint of beer = 568ml. If we went metric it would be half a litre. A loss of 68ml of ale!

Back off Brussels!!!!

GrahamS

Litre of fuel, but consumption of said fuel in miles per gallon..
    Everything on roads in miles

CO2 emissions measured and taxed in g/km.
    Metric fuel consumption is in l/100km

I wasn’t even taught old at school

Likewise emsz and I’m considerably older than you. Kids are not taught imperial. Haven’t been for decades. But are still expected to use it.

maccruiskeen

10s are sooooo much easier.

only when you add them up, not when you divide them. Feet and inches you can half and half and half. Metric gets into awkward fractions instead

Halfing 10mm in metric you get 5, then 2.5, then 1.25 then 0.625. My tape measure isn’t marked in 0.625 increments so it all gets a bit guess work, whereas imperial scales are in fractions to start with.

Then my (American) girlfriend will step in and tell me measurements in cups. That one throws me, what sized cup?!

I don’t know I haven’t met her but I’m prepared to guess – is it DD?

chvck
    Free Member

You’re right bra sizes should be measured in litres as well. Alphabetical is nonsense.

I don’t know I haven’t met her but I’m prepared to guess – is it DD?

Walked into that I guess! Just in case anyone doesn’t actually know what i mean:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

djglover
    Free Member

Runners, do you really do everything in KM. I do a 10k run, not a 6.21 mile run. however, I do a 10 mile run and not a 16.09km run!

Junkyard
    Free Member

claiming metric is unworkably confusing

Bonkers

Being able to handle metric and imperial systems makes you better at mental arithmetic! Metric is easier for engineering calculations, whilst imperial units are more intuitive to human sized entities

way to sensible and concise to be posted on here can you not get outraged about one or the other

I think for those of us middle aged it is hard as we do some things in both

I have little idea what my height is in cms and if someone told me theirs I would be clueless.
    Apart from that I am fine with either system though metric makes sense when you need to calcualte stuff like say density, pressure etc

CUP – it does not really matter as it keeps the ratio the same though there is a standard size – I like that system for bakling tbh as it is much easier to recall cups than actual weights.

molgrips
    Free Member

That one throws me, what sized cup?!

It’s a standard size. Half a US pint or 237ml. American kitchens have a set of measuring cups as standard equippment, my Mrs was quite baffled when I said we needed some kitchen scales.

franki
    Free Member

Interesting…
    I buy milk in litres not pints.
    When I worked in a cycle shop in the 90s, roadbikes were still measured in inches, so the cm thing is quite recent. A lot of mtbs are now small / med / large, doing away with numerical systems altogether and (I suppose) making sizing easier to understand for everybody.

I don’t like inconsistencies – I think it’s the OCD kicking in! 😉

JoB
    Free Member

I don’t like inconsistancies

giggle

muckytee
    Free Member

Because saying I was only doing 112 officer sounds a lot worse than I was only doing 70.

franki
    Free Member

Too slow JoB – swift edit was already underway… 😛

crazy-legs

Being able to handle metric and imperial systems makes you better at mental arithmetic! Metric is easier for engineering calculations, whilst imperial units are more intuitive to human sized entities

I’m quite happy working in either. It just kind of happens although maybe I need to find an aspect of it to get wound up about…

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

my mazda has a fuel consumption display only in litres per 100 mile, giving a great mix of metric and imperial.

I can see why someone in an office in Japan may have thought that was a good idea (measure fuel in litres and distance in miles).

GrahamS

> 10s are sooooo much easier.
    only when you add them up, not when you divide them.

I don’t find dividing by ten very hard 😕

Halfing 10mm in metric you get 5, then 2.5, then 1.25 then 0.625. My tape measure isn’t marked in 0.625 increments so it all gets a bit guess work

Oh I see what you mean. I’m surprised your tape measure has increments at 0.0246062992 inches. 😉

I’d suggest that if you are trying to accurately measure sub-millimetre distances to 3 decimal places with a tape measure then you’re already well on the path to FAIL anyway. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Bombing along the Autobahn at 200 sounds impressive though.

mogrim

Drac – Moderator
    1600 meters in a mile about 1750 yds in a mile.

tsk, “George III said with a smile, 1760 yards in a mile.”

Thank god I live in Spain, the only thing I miss is pints of beer, but then you can easily get over that by ordering another.

mrdestructo

Adding up food products in dozens is quite easy on your hands when you know how. The practical methods of using different systems don’t really make one better than the other.

Although you’ve got ten digits, if you take your thumb and press it against the three pads of each finger in turn whilst counting, you get a dozen, and you can count upto six dozen effectively (five on your other hand by extending digits, then a plus twelve)

I made a fun little story up that IT guys will get off the bat:

The annual combined science conference was being held on a water world in the centre of the Federation of Planets. The hosts were a squid like humanoid creature. When the open mic session was called for last minute entries a disgraced local academic stepped forward to boos. He stood at the podium until his audience had quietened down and then slowly and quietly spoke, “I have been working on my own these last few seasons on the meaning of life and I have theorised a formula that helps to understand why we are here and what our Gods mean to us.” The room was in uproar and he once again waited until they had quieted down, before simply stating, “Twelve times twenty equals two hundred.” He stepped down from the podium and walked out of the room, leaving them scrabbling to figure it out.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

When I’m on the road bike I think in miles, but on the mountain bike I think in km. I think it’s because I get nowhere fast on a mountain bike, so any help to make it look like I’ve gone further is great 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Halfing 10mm in metric you get 5, then 2.5, then 1.25 then 0.625. My tape measure isn’t marked in 0.625 increments so it all gets a bit guess work, whereas imperial scales are in fractions to start with

That’s better for those who were taught to understand fractions, but it’s amazing (and saddening) how many people don’t. 10mm is 3/8 inch give or take. I guarantee that loads of people will not know or understand that half of that is 3/16. Even friends I was at school with (I’m 37) surprise me with their lack of understanding of fractions.

RustySpanner

Kilometers are rubbish:
    If this song was called 4.97 klometers high it wouldn’t scan at all:[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCT9naHt2oo[/video]

I can see for kilometers? Nonsense.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4BBQMjbX3c[/video]

And A LOT of people are not going to be happy renaming this bloke:

We’d have to redesign the sleeves and everything.

druidh
    Free Member

It’s not just the UK. The Canadians use a mixture of Imperial and Metric too. On a river trip, it was described in miles but water levels were measured in metres.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m going to use that one PP, with your permission

Yeah, crack on, that’ll baffle someone I hope!

I’m trying to think of a few more. Brain is dead though. Off on holiday this pm. Packing, sorting. It kills the brain. 🙂

wwaswas

Bicyle gearing measured in gear inches? Do they do that on the continent?

fasthaggis

Aye, those Proclaimer lads would have been struggling 🙂

But I would walk 804.67200 kilometres
    And I would walk 804.67200 more
    Just to be the man who walked a 1609.344 kilometres
    To fall down at your door

swavis

It’s a common problem, I’m a machinist and the amount of drawings I have to work with that contain metric and imperial dim’s is a right pita. Metric all the way please! 8)

IanMunro
    Free Member

IIRC they have some foreign much called gear development which is in metres.

thomthumb
    Free Member

even if they do it’s based on a nominal 27″ wheel. but normally using metric 700c wheels. so we’re out from the start!

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s a common problem, I’m a machinist and the amount of drawings I have to work with that contain metric and imperial dim’s is a right pita.

The lead screws on my lathe are 0.1″ pitch (despite the dials claiming it’s 2.5mm), so I’m forever having to get the calculator out.

transapp
    Free Member

It’s a bit of an arse really. Being taught both ways is silly, measuring everything in one, then ordering in another, it’s not what the efficient Germans would do!

When I fly gliders, after driving 50 miles to get to the airfield, we measure airspeed in knots, height in feet and distance in km’s. I then put water in the wings in litres, but order my beer afterwards in pints. Unless it’s a rum in which case it’s cl’s. I have no idea why!

emsz
    Free Member

american cups in cooking is a pain. Loads of on line recipes have them, especially for yummy things like pancakes and cupcakes…There’s a recipe site called the pink whisk, and I spend half my time converting the amounts.

PP, it’s just daft 😆 why not stick to one amount? like ermmmm, 10? 😀

mrdestructo, I was watching a programme once where they said that arabic people (I think) can count up to 100 on their fingers….

Don’t get me started on dress sizes….grrrrrrr.

PS guys: bra sizes are based on volume so 30D is the same as 32C and 34B and so on…just in case you were guessing…

GrahamS

That’s better for those who were taught to understand fractions, but it’s amazing (and saddening) how many people don’t.

The thing is, using metric does not preclude using fractions anyway.

It is perfectly reasonable to say “Five and a half centimetres” for instance.

GrahamS

mrdestructo, I was watching a programme once where they said that arabic people (I think) can count up to 100 on their fingers….

<geek> Count on your fingers in binary and you can count to 1024 😀

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_binary

</geek>

donald
    Free Member

The best mixed mixed unit I have heard of was told to me by one of my former colleagues who had briefly been an astronomer (before moving to IT). He said they used to measure the temperature of space in ‘British Thermal Units per cubic Mega Parsec’.

thomthumb
    Free Member

what is special about arab fingers? 🙂

m1kea
    Free Member

Distance & Speed = Miles (Per Hour)
    Weight = usually decimal
    Measurement = probably 50/50 between imperial and metric. A 8 X 4 sheet of material is much easier to say than 2440 X 1220
    (Don’t get me started on measurements of wood which is a bastardised rounding of converted imperial sizes :roll:)
    Volume = either or

Cougar

It’s just another way in which the UK insists on being different (despite it costing us) like driving on the other side of the road compared to the majority of the world.

It’s the other way around actually.

The US drive on the right just to be contrary; when our lot landed over there, they wanted to be different from the UK. The other countries who drive on the right have done so to be in line with the US.

I have been asked how much concrete to fill “2 by 3 meters and about a foot thick” though….

I’m glad it’s not just me. Being born in the early 70s, I often use both in the same sentence. “Oh, that’s three inches and 5mm.”

Bloke crashed a plane near me because its tanks held ‘n’ American gallons and he’d used the wrong conversion rate when filling it with Imperial ones. Ran out of fuel.

That’s backwards too, surely? If he’d filled up with UK gallons he’d have too much fuel?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Why haven't we adopted kms instead of miles yet???’ is closed to new replies.