Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • why have all the top end enduro bikes sold out?
  • surf1666
    Free Member

Can’t get hold of several different manufacturers top end enduro bikes. tried cube Focus Canyon yt (not until July) did they just not make enough? Or is the economic recovery better than expected and all the ‘New Roadies’ switching to a more sensible pass time?

barffy
    Free Member

Look out of the window!

We are on the edge of good weather so the fair weather riders will be panting and pushing up hills again on their new buzz word bike!

gogg
    Free Member

Made less, because there were too many left over last year??

RobHilton
    Free Member

Good marketing

AlexSimon

Combination of 1×11 and Pike means sold out it seems.
    Good year for sram!

mrmo
    Free Member

Top end bikes, maybe 10-20 get brought in because they exist to top the range they don’t really exist to be sold. With so few they are always going to disappear early on. With the MTB market in a bad way no reason to bring many in, with all the confusion over wheel standards not many people I know are considering buying a mtb for a year or two, again hurting sales.

barffy
    Free Member

Yeah SRAM seem to be on the money at the moment. Wonder what these ‘Guide’ brakes will be like long-term?

sillyoldman

Apart from the horrific brake recall.

hora
    Free Member

Yeah SRAM seem to be on the money at the moment

Apart from knocking Pikes.

barffy
    Free Member

Only road bikes, who cares 😀

By the way I ride road too!

kimbers

kona process (2×10) and trek slash9 all gone too(the latter running 34s)

(bronsons seem to be everywhere though)

I wonder if mfrs were being cautious to see if these 650b bikes would sell- it seems they have

AlexSimon

Apart from the horrific brake recall.

Oh yeah – there is that 🙂

Thread infector!

hora
    Free Member

Oh yes, apologies ‘top out’.

AlexSimon

I don’t know how long in advance they have to order in all the 1×11 and pike stuff, but I’m guessing it was way before all the rave reviews.
    So I can imagine it felt like a gamble.

Same as speccing RS-1s would be now.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

YT Capra innit?

Whoops. You’ve already said not until July. Sorry.

Moose Cycles still seem to have a few Mojos and Yetis knocking about?

mrmo
    Free Member

I don’t know how long in advance they have to order in all the 1×11 and pike stuff, but I’m guessing it was way before all the rave reviews.
    So I can imagine it felt like a gamble.

Same as speccing RS-1s would be now.

Don’t know all the details, but someone I know is currently working, and has been for a while, on 2016 bikes, 2015 being history as far as he was concerned. Said he had a set of RS1’s on a bike in Taiwan a good few weeks back. Has a copy of Shimano’s 2016 range, I doubt Sram are any different. It takes time to spec and obtain parts.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, one of my riding friends is a product manager for Specialized, he seems to have a lot of the shiny stuff very early.

As for bikes selling out, better stock control mainly. Brands would rather sell out and have demand than dumping huge inventories into the marketplace late in the year to clear stock. It doesn’t do much for brand value…

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Hora pike don’t knock they stick down!!! May be it’s an auto climb function that no one knows about yet!!!

hora
    Free Member

Hora pike don’t knock they stick down!!! May be it’s an auto climb function that no one knows about yet!!!

😆

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What’s this about knocking Pikes anyway?

I’ve got a set, as has my wife, and I think all bar one person I regularly ride with is now running them with no issues at all?

bigblackshed

It’s been like it for years TBH. Top end or odd sizes are only brought in in tiny numbers.

2008 I wanted a Kona Five-0 in 20″. Waited and waited for it to arrive in the UK. Then sold out. Turns out Paligap only brought in 5 20″ bikes. And that wasn’t top end. £1099 I think.

kimbers

same here most of my mates seem to be on pikes now, no complaints

dont see how they should be holding stock back either, seem to be plenty on sale crc, german sites etc

nickdavies

The only knocking I hear on my bike is my knees…. 😉 The pikes are flawless!

I’m not sure how many of the top end bikes from the bargain brands OP is looking at actually get made. Focus, Canyon, Cube etc all not got the brand power of the big boys, specialized, santa cruz etc but charge a lot less.

I’m guessing that they do a limited run for their teams and people who want to buy decent spec bikes, but I think to make a decent profit they’ve got to charge more money, by which point people won’t want to buy them. So they do a few to sell through but don’t invest massively as there’s not much return. Looking at some of the canyon range you can build up some of the lower spec models for less than they charge, but I couldn’t build my strive for the same money just for the components, and that’s not even taking the frame into account. Same spec in a Heckler or Enduro is 5K+, and that’s twice what I paid and there’s no corners cut on the kit. I really don’t see how that can turn them a profit.

chestrockwell

Got to be a more conservative stock control hasn’t it, maybe brought on by the confusion over wheel size and what people would actually buy this year.

The knock on effect will be less OEM stock for Merlin and their chums I’d have though that will in turn lead to a very sad STW.

Northwind

Very easy to believe that the 650b fiasco has hurt manufacturers with unsellable/heavily discounted inventory so wouldn’t be surprised if they’re overcautious this year.

Orbea Rallon would be on my list of things to check btw, still available and looks blimmin awesome.

razorrazoo

I don’t think the Canyon or YT are available yet (ie there is a waiting list on orders made but the first ones have not landed). Having looked recently the only bikes that it seemed impossible to get hold of where the Kona’s.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I think some have not even arrived yet…

Norco Range carbon in stock in about a month..

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/range-carbon-71-650b-2014-mountain-bike-ec053915

cultsdave
    Free Member

Northwind, I have ordered an orbea rallon. Was meant to be here in Feb but still no sign of it. Not sure anyone in the UK have one yet. Despite what shops claim!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘why have all the top end enduro bikes sold out?’ is closed to new replies.