Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Why has my weight loss plateaued
  • ravingdave

Been doing quite well with my diet, which is generally low carb and exercising more roughly 3 times a week. Initially lost 4kgs quite quickly. No can’t lose anymore. What more do I need to do?
    More exercise? Hasrher diet?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Equilibrium means calories in equals calories out. Upping one and reducing the other is good but in reality, in simple terms, to reduce body mass, don’t put so many in.

Now you know what you need to sustain your activity level, drop 10% of your calories over the week (bit less each day or a lot less on a day or two).

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, as above find the least painful way to cut a few more calories and crack on. Whatever you do, do with the realisation that the change will need to be permanent so choose wisely! 🙂

Davesport

I reduced my weight earlier this year from 94 to 82 KG’s and hit a plateau at that point. I wanted to shift another 2 kilos but it wasn’t happening. When I scrutinised what I was eating it had crept up incrementally and I was eating more than when I started off reducing. So I guess as pointed out an equilibrium has been reached.

Getting rid of weight through exercise can take a long time as your body is remarkably efficient at hanging on to its stores. It’s easier just not to consume unneeded energy in the first place. Have you worked out what your 3 weekly cycling sessions are burning off?

I’d suggest looking at what exactly you’re eating on a daily basis and keeping control of portion sizes until you get to where you want to be.

D.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Patience! I was stuck for 2 weeks.

Change your diet and drink more water while changing any exercise routines.

Body adapts. Dont adapt, change.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It could be worse, I was ~90Kg last summer and got as low as ~76Kg a month ago. But since increasing the distance of my “big” workout rides, while trying to maintain an average speed of 18+mph on the new road bike, I get back and often crave silly amounts of food including peanuts and peanut butter.

So I’m gaining weight, back up to ~78Kg, when I was hoping to be heading towards ~73Kg! 😳

deadkenny
    Free Member

Remember muscle will replace fat, and is heavier.

In my case though it’s just the more I exercise the hungrier I am post ride and pig out more (and drink beer), and so exercise more to burn it off. End up in a cycle where I don’t gain weight and don’t lose weight. Fine balance just above ideal weight. It’s okay, but not going to shift the beer belly. If I stopped riding I’d put on massive amount of weight unless I seriously cut back the food & beer.

ninfan
    Free Member

If you’re not already using one – food diary. I would heartily recommend the MyFitnessPal phone app

I have found that tinned fruit is my diet saviour. Tinned peaches, pineapple, pears, fruit cocktail – really filling, low in calories (and importantly for me known quantities because I just have no portion control.

I know someone who has been using the 5:2 diet, but essentially making those ‘low calorie’ days his ‘complete rest days’ in order to fight the post ride cravings.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cutting ever more is not the answer. If you cut too much then. Your body responds and adapts by lowering metabolic rate and limiting how hard you can ride.

But that depends where you are and what kind of body fat/riding/calorie intake we are talking.

vickypea
    Free Member

Have a look at Dr Michael Moseley’s Clever Guts diet. Maybe changing what you eat will help?

finephilly
    Free Member

its cos you ain’t eating carbs brah. cut out the fat, increase the carbs to 10g/kg of bodyweight per day. cutting calories and increasing activity just makes you knackered and could even cause damage! plus you’ll end up rebounding badly…..!!! check out durian riders carb the **** up book.

MSP

Remember muscle will replace fat, and is heavier.

Thisa is way overstated, it is actually rather hard to build significant* muscle mass.

*Noticeable on the scales when compared to even moderate fat loss.

Stainypants

Plus if your dieting you will not put on any muscle mass. Your body is not going wate the valuable calories you are taking in putting down extra muscle.

simondbarnes

increase the carbs to 10g/kg of bodyweight per day

Blimey, I’d have to eat 4000kcal of carbs every day!

philjunior
    Free Member

Don’t make it a diet to lose weight, just eat as healthily as possible and enjoy the riding.

I started riding a bit further to work about 5 years ago, straight away nearly 10kgs melted off in 1-2 months, no problem. I stayed at that weight, put a bit on last summer (only 1-2kgs) after breaking a wrist, decided to cut out the pack of sugary snacks at work, I’ve now lost a further 3-4kg (and it plateaued quite quickly this time too). I allow myself to stuff my face after a big ride with whatever is about, and puddings are also allowed, but no grazing on sugary foods.

At times it is quite challenging (when tired and demotivated in the shops at lunch on a work day) The main thing that keeps me going is that I feel good and I’m riding and climbing better than ever, and I feel I’m setting a good example to my kids with my weight/body shape (and hopefully will get to spend a couple of extra years with them due to this too!). I’m not walking about constantly feeling hungry, either – when I’ve tried just cutting down on how much I eat, I do feel hungry constantly and seem to get ill very easily.

On the good side for you, you’re not putting weight on, which I assume you were before. You’ll be getting fitter too. I do a lot of exercise (about 160 miles a week (30-60 of those on the mountain bike) plus a session at the climbing wall in a normal week – holidays I just do what I feel like though). I couldn’t manage anything like this if I’d not started somewhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Why has my weight loss plateaued’ is closed to new replies.