Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)
  • Why don’t you service your fork?
  • crossed

Does anyone know of an alternative to the Maxima Plush Heavy oil that Rock Shox use? It seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

0-25 or 0-30 synthetic engine oil will be perfectly fine for a lowers service. Dont put it in the damper though!

desperatebicycle

I get it from Bits4bikes on ebay – he’s also this website: http://www.racereadysuspension.co.uk

binman

Does anyone know of an alternative to the Maxima Plush Heavy oil that Rock Shox use? It seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Did you find any ?

I was looking at the spec https://maximausa.com/i-30498684-plush-dynamic-lube-4oz-heavy.html#!

And it has a very high viscosity (115) compared to most suspension oils on motoiservices.com. Light is 49.2.

julians
    Free Member

why dont I service my fork?

because giant will void the whole bike warranty if I do.

crossed

@binman

No, never managed to source any.
    I ended up using the Rockshox stuff I already had. It’s not ideal but it’s got to be better than the bone dry lowers and foam rings that the forks had 🙄
    As a side note, I’d kinda expect better on a brand new set of £800 forks.

Northwind

If it’s just lowers, then they’re very unfussy about oil. Sometimes you get an open bath or something funky like the fox grip that supposedly draws in oil from the lowers. I ran my old Lyriks for years on halfords diesel engine oil, frinstance.

binman

I think that the Maxima plush heavy is specified for the positive and negative air chambers in the Lyrik and Pike.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I used to do it regularly all the time. It was easy, piece of cake, etc.

Then, after doing a lower service my Fox FIT bladder burst because I did something wrong, I stopped servicing my own forks at that point. I think I was told I’d forgotten to purge the air or something. There’s too much that can go wrong with modern forks. I just leave it to the pros now.

reeksy

I’ve got a set of X-Fusion waiting for me to figure out why I couldn’t get the rebound knob to fit properly and lost all my rebound when i serviced them last… despite having done it half a dozen times without error in the past.

sirromj

I service mine before every ride. It only takes a couple of minutes to clean the dirt off the stanchions and and rub some fresh fork oil over them. Seriously that is my idea of servicing them.

mrdestructo

I should have services my RS Revelation earlier. I would have found out why they were acting so wooden from new (missing some oil)

Seals so a good job nowadays, I remember 20+ years back your fork would get filthy inside due to Ill fitting, poorly designed seals.

I have some Suntour Durolux and they’re so easy to service, mainly just needing grease, crush washers and a little oil for the foam dust seals.

I do worry, even with a torque wrench, that I’ll crack something doing regular services. I reckon that’s what puts lots of people off.

Viewing 12 posts - 121 through 132 (of 132 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.