Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Why don't women compete alongside men in 'sports' such as Snooker and Darts?
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Just watched some of the Burlegh horse trials where women were competing well against men. Admittedly the horse is the one doing the main work, but I’d say that horse riding, especially eventing is far more physical than darts or snooker….both of which are big commercial sports that have separate not very popular women’s competition’s.

Why is it then?

Do women just have better things to do than playing darts/snooker enough to be good at it?

crikey
    Free Member

Because tea doesn’t mek itsen..

..and because they’re too good to bother.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They’re not allowed due to sexism. Plus they’re probably a bad craic down the pub

Garry_Lager

If there was a female snookerist or dartist in the top 1000 players in the world then maybe they could. As there isn’t, they can’t.

Why that is – so few women play these sports with any seriousness so obv you’d expect the talent pool to be really shallow. But that just punts the why question back a level – why don’t they play? Don’t know – many factors at work. One of which being testosterone – the hormone of communication, diplomacy, clear thinking, and ability to hit triple 19.

Edric64
    Free Member

They have loads of time to play darts and snooker when they have dropped the kids at school.6 hours a day until they pick them up!!

Hadge
    Free Member

Although women don’t compete together with men in shooting disciplines, many years ago the absolute world record for air-rifle was held by a woman. Maybe one day they will be allowed in such events as snooker or darts.

tomhoward

Isn’t there a Russian (possibly Scandinavian) lady dartist who regularly gives the blokes a schooling?

Edit. Yep. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasia_Dobromyslova

stu170
    Free Member

There was a lass that switched over from BDO amateur darts womens events to play pro PDC with men. anastacia someone or other. She didn’t get on very well and switched back

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Women get fat differently don’t they, it’s all about the beer belly in darts. Without it you’re rubbish.

teenrat

I know that in the grand slam of darts, held every november, the womens world champion gets an automatic entry into the event and competes against the men.

I agree though, in events where strength isn’t the major factor but skill is, then women and men should compete together.

TheWrongTrousers

Because they’ve got far more sense than to get involved with that nonsense !

Cougar

Dunno about professional level, but I see more women than men playing darts (and dominoes) in my local. There’s a spectrum of ability, but some are really rather good.

JCL
    Free Member

There are plenty of mass start endurance XC races that you can get lapped by the fast women in.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If we’re talking Burghley, let’s not forget the ladies don’t just “compete well against the men”, they often beat them hands down.

I remember Pippa Funnell’s Grand Slam year. What a performance.

In eventing, the ladies compete on a totally even playing field. It’s one of the great things about the sport.

SiB
    Free Member

Have you ever watched a female throw a ball? Same with darts

Snooker……distracting enough with just Michael Tabb, 3 of them and I wouldn’t even know what I was watching

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ah yes Burghley…bloody toffs and their daft spellings!

Was it Nikki Lauda that recently said that women wouldn’t be able to cope emotionally with F1?!

vickypea
    Free Member

We’re too busy riding bikes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you think the horse does all the work in eventing you’ve obviously never ridden a horse.

Women compete equally in single handed offshore sailing. I say equally as in reality the men have an edge due to being stronger.

In sports like darts and snooker women could compete against men but in most cases they are not at the same level technically as fewer women play and thus the standard is lower.

tomhoward

Danica Patrick does ok against the boys too…

bigrich

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOlEYNlSZ44[/video]

Tom-B
    Free Member

I said that the horse does the main work…I mean it is the one doing all of the running and jumping! No I’ve not ridden, but my wife does and I know just how hard it is….

brakes
    Free Member

aside from obvious differences in average physical and mental capacity relating to sporting ability, I expect it’s due to a reduced exposure to those sports, or sports that require similar skills, from an early age. women as a set of people have had less practice at snooker and darts than men, because boys play football and conkers and xbox whereas girls plait their hair, read Bunty and watch X-Factor.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve just asked my girlfriend ‘why don’t women play snooker?’

(obviously i simplified the question for her delicate little brain)

‘because it’s bollocks, you patronising git’

there you have it.

CaptJon
    Free Member

At the oscars why isn’t there a best female director and best male director award when they separate acting by gender?

JoeG
    Free Member

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Women are smart enough not to waste their time on such moronic games.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

There are plenty of mass start endurance XC races that you can get lapped by the fast women in.

That must be awful, i think i’d hate to be lapped by a woman…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Why don't women compete alongside men in 'sports' such as Snooker and Darts?’ is closed to new replies.