Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Why don't people where shin pads?
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

So I have noticed more and more people not wearing shin pads and only going for kneespads. Why?
    When out riding, I rarely seen shin protection, and on every vid pretty much everyone is only wearing kneepads (pro rider, I know).
    I have some shin pads on order, but I’m thinking of sending them back and just going for knee pads. Fashion, trends, hot shins…I dunno?

gsp1984
    Free Member

because on a 30 miles ride full leg protection is super uncomfortable.

even if your only riding downhill it’s still crap and never fits right, everyones calfs are different shapes and sizes, and everyone shins are different lengths, I’ve never tried any that fitted or were comfortable.

FuzzyWuzzy

I never hurt my shins in a crash (yet anyway…) and ride SPDs so don’t have ‘pedal in shin’ moments. I’d probably wear shin pads if riding flats and getting airborne though.

titusrider
    Free Member

less people on flats, more grippy flats shoes, being an actual pro and spending your life on the bike = less shin strikes

+ knee pads of the ‘kyle straight’ style are actually pretty comforatable to do an XC/ all day ride in, full shin guards are very often not

jambalaya
    Free Member

My shin pads have plenty of big scrathes which would otherwise have been gouges on my shin. I wouldn’t change to knee only although in fairness I only wear the armour when riding in rocky places.

MrAgreeable

Most modern knee pads cover the top couple of inches of your shin too, which is where shin-burgers often happen and where they cause the most damage. I used to wear knee/shin pads for XC and stopped once I discovered how much more comfortable kneepads were for such a small trade-off in protection.

wwaswas

only time I ever hurt my shins is

1) on stinging nettles

2) walking into the pedal when pushing the bike.

knees are the first bit that hits the ground after my head usually so I like a bit of padding on them

lemonysam
    Free Member

People wear knee pads on 30 mile rides?

jam-bo

smacking your shin hard hurts
    smacking your knee hard hurts and can put out of action for while.

LoCo
    Free Member

Only wear knee and shins for DH, now knee pads for ‘bigger’ stuff.

What I have noticed is that with the pros not wearing elbow pads as they ‘restrict movement’ ‘the kids’ arn’t so yo’re going to get more managed dh ers.

hora
    Free Member

I cracked my shinbone a couple of months ago- it stayed green/yellow for over a month and was ok until you pressed on it 😯

slowrider
    Free Member

that was self diagnosed though wasnt it hora?

if you try to protect everywhere that you might hurt while riding your bike then youll end up riding in an inflatable sumo suit. as said above, knees and hands often hit the ground first so it makes sense to protect them in some way if you are prone to a tumble or three

mattsccm
    Free Member

If you smack it it hurts. And?
    now if I was some shapely young lady the sort of legs that need licking then maybe I would try and stop some scratches but as I inherited Ernie Wise’s legs it doesn’t matter.
    Maybe people who can spell don’t wear them 😆

nuke

See lots of people wearing knee protection only and no arm protection yet, for me, it’s always my (fore)arms that get wrecked. Went down hard on my forearm on slippery chalk last week and my arms were already ruined from the weekend before from tree strikes. Wondered whether it was an SPD user thing?

brakes
    Free Member

Kyle Strait knee pads were a revelation over the Dainese/ Roach full pads I used to wear in terms of their comfort.
    It’s a calculated risk and my shins are work hardened anyway.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I eventually managed to find a knee/shin combo that fits and I use it on all of my more gnar rides, and whenever I think there’ll be a lot of brambles. having said that I decided not to wear them around Glentress and ended up with 7 stitches in my knee (lowsided an easy corner)

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Because flat pedal scarred shins are far cooler. otherwise known as “Skin Pads”

😉

hora
    Free Member

that was self diagnosed though wasnt it hora?

I’ve cracked enough bones to know when its a bruise and when its a ouch 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Could have done with some last but 2 rides ago when riding through Brambles that had overgrown my fave trail..

Still covered in self fladulation marks now.

But to be honest, nahhhh not for me..

edlong
    Free Member

Shin bones are really rather strong and consequently quite hard to break.

Knees less so.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Had the 661 Race that Steve Peat wore/wears.

Too hot and restrictive for trail-riding but I would say spot-on for DH.

Depends on what riding you will be doing – If it’s aggressive XC then full on chain mail.

robowns
    Free Member

People wear shin pads for xc rides?

teacake
    Free Member

Have ridden in many places across the UK and have only seen people wearing knee/shin protection if riding DH or are a “Mr Safety” type.

Recently moved to Stockholm and it is de rigueur regardless of ability or riding style. The terrain suits it as we ride 50% of the time on big bits of exposed granite. There are no long 30 minute plus climbs so you’re rarely spinning and sitting in the saddle. It’s mostly pedal kicks and pumping.

That said, I’d feel weird not wearing them in the UK now as I am so used to it.

Agree that the fit is never good. Your knee flexes a long way and even the nice POC ones are a bit annoying after a while.

Protect your knees!

LoCo
    Free Member

Only wear my POC VPD 2.0 s (super comfy for 8 hour rides) for big stuff like, Torridon type stuff. General xc and farting about in the woods no.

binners

I punched an effing great big hole in my shin about a month ago. With a big pointy rock! It bloody hurt too!

However, that’s one shin injury in god knows how many years. On balance… I reckon I’ll keep risking it. Shin pads feel like riding in splints

Marin
    Free Member

I wear knee shin pad thingies on most rides unless very flat or grassy. Shins stop me going home with lacerated legs if off trailing. Knees because mine are or were knackered. Both because Im self employed. Rode 60k in them on Saturday and they were OK. 661’s. Other knee shin pad thingies are available.

sparkyrhino

shin pads dont need them ,my shins are tougher than Tong Po’S.dont like nettle stings though 😯

ads678

I wear some 661 knee/shin guards for DH, but just knee pads for normal trail riding. I hurt both my knees when i went OTB on some rock steps in the lakes so always wear knee pad for anything decent.

Don’t bother though for long XC rides or any thing less.

deviant
    Free Member

Wow, i had no idea people ‘covered up’ so much when out on the bike!….it would kill half the appeal if i were to do this, i may as well put on all my motorbike clobber instead and go for a blast on that….the pleasure of cycling for me is in stepping out of the house in shorts and t-shirt and feeling like a kid again.

Drac

I’ve only ever seen a handful of people wearing shin pads and out of those most were females wanting to look after their lovely legs. So where are all these people that where shin pads?

philfive
    Free Member

My shins get battered but I dont wear shinpads, I also own knee pads but only wear them if i’m doing something thats pretty stupid or its very cold.

mikey74
    Free Member

Went I went to Whistler a few weeks ago, I was in two minds as I had always taken knee/shin pads before, but I have become accustomed to just knees here in the UK (the brilliant Kali Aazis pads). In the end I wore the knee pads for the whole holiday and never felt the need for the shins.

IME shins are not that susceptible in crashes: Your knees, elbows, head, shoulder are far more likely to take a hit.

proberts
    Free Member

I’ve just got back from a ride with my new shin pads, got some POC ones with the £10 0ff CRC voucher. Very happy with them, they didn’t move at all and were very comfy. I forgot I was wearing them for most of the ride and they make my spindly little legs look normal thickness. Bonus!!

pudd
    Free Member

They’re sewn into my leathers.

mbarnes
    Free Member

I have Kyle straits but with my new pedals (point ones) will be going for some poc bone pads!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Why do people where shin pads?

Gary_C

Where, were, wear….

HTH 😉

mattsccm
    Free Member

Is it a generation thing? I’m old.

Rorschach
    Free Member

That’s the last time I copy and paste without proof reading 😳 The shame!

trout
    Free Member

question ?
    is wearing armour causing more serious injuries with a false sense of safety and folks riding above their abilities .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Why don't people where shin pads?’ is closed to new replies.