• This topic has 115 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)
  • Why don't parents say 'no'?
  • wwaswas

Wtf?!

My daughter came this (*holds fingers really close together*) close to attending a school where every child has to have an ipad for their normal lessons;

http://www.hovepark.brighton-hove.sch.uk/ipad/

Seemed like a really good innovation and the uses the kids are making of them is brilliant.

jon1973
    Free Member

the one with the telly is a lazy, spoiled, pushy type with no manners.

You know about correlation and causation? You don’t think that might be down to the parents rather than the fact that they have a TV in their room? I had a TV in my room when I was a kid, and was never any of those things. I suspect there are quite a few kids with no TV in their bedrooms who are lazy and spoiled too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

why are you so judgemental about other peoples choices?

Seems like she explained why.

scotroutes

people who say things like this..

don’t get me started on children with telly’s in their bedroom, in all of our family and all close friends bar one, it is a no no. the one with the telly is a lazy, spoiled, pushy type with no manners.
    a child with its own telly is less lightly to get up early for school, will have less concentration at school and is less likely to walk to school.

…all watch Jeremy Kyle and read the Daily Mail.

irelanst
    Free Member

a child with its own telly is less lightly to get up early for school, will have less concentration at school and is less likely to walk to school.

The telly in her room is in a seperate play area with a couch (it was 2 rooms knocked into one) so she can’t watch it in bed.

She gets up fine every morning. She concentrates very well because she has a teacher who engages with her and a small class size. I doubt she’ll be walking any time soon, school is 30 miles away.

Wtf?!

I know, teaching kids how to use everday technology whatever next? They don’t even use chalk boards or ink pens anymore.
    All their homework is app based, all of their books are available electronically, artwork they do is scanned and pictures taken during lessons are uploaded so we can see it, their diary is automatically updated and all of that fits onto something the size of a notepad, amazing isn’t it. You’re not still chopping trees down are you?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s 2014. Quite a lot of schools have technology in them now.

Of course, but do they force you to buy an iPad? I’m not entirely comfortable with that, despite being very much into technolgy myself. If they are going to do everything electronically they should provide the means.

What about those who don’t have £300 to spare?

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

My sister is a teacher and they have an iPad for each child. They don’t need them at home though, just for stuff in class.

wwaswas

What about those who don’t have £300 to spare?

they have a monthly rental scheme plus free ones for those on low incomes.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – Member
    don’t get me started on children with telly’s in their bedroom, in all of our family and all close friends bar one, it is a no no. the one with the telly is a lazy, spoiled, pushy type with no manners.

Walk to school? WTF? This is a mountain bike forum. I don’t want to chat to any parent whose child walks instead of riding a bike. What the hell sort of children are being raised around here?!

hora
    Free Member

ipad at school, ipad at home. Ah the fretting-parent worrying that their child will be left behind as though they’ll become a dullard/outcast in some super-Matrix new world.

We’re getting a tablet – to share with us not hora junior’s own.

Bunnyhop

Bunnyhop, why are you so judgemental about other peoples choices?

most teachers and child psychologists (sp ?) would say the same and i’ve given reasons above.
    as a walk leader one of my jobs was to encourage children to walk to school to help counteract obesity and discourage short journeys by car, which is causing many children to have asthma.
    research showed that almost all children that had a telly in their room were unlikely to walk to school and were tired the next day.

scotrouts – funny as ever eh?

jam-bo

i’ve not read all of this, but does BunnyHop have children?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Go back 100 years and they were saying the same thing about shoeschimney sweeps

Our children will grow up in a world far more connected via devices and technology than we can currently imagine. So perhaps they should learn how to use these devices at an early age?

In the 50’s Elvis was corrupting the minds of teenagers, most of who turned into our parents.
    Charlie and Chocolate Factory 1964 features a number of different children with repellant behavoir, no TV’s in bedrooms or tablets back then…

vinnyeh

I’m not sure what, if anything you are, or are hoping to, infer from this.
    Most normal children dislike getting up early every day, especially for school.
    Why would there be a correlation between TVs in the bedroom and walking to school?

Bunnyhop

i’ve not read all of this, but does BunnyHop have children?

no i don’t but i do look after one, which i understand on stw stands for nothing. yes i am one of those annoying people who doesn’t let him have a telly in his bedroom.

Why would there be a correlation between TVs in the bedroom and walking to school?

there is as mentioned above, this is from research.

mogrim

Charlie and Chocolate Factory 1964 features a number of different children with repellant behavoir, no TV’s in bedrooms or tablets back then…

I bet Mike Teavee had one, though.

irelanst
    Free Member

Veruca Salts dad would have bought her one.

scotroutes

FWIW, I don’t watch Jeremy Kyle or read the Daily Mail.

wwaswas

but like all statistics it’s based on an extrapolation from a limited survey group?

Was it adjusted for housing density, attendance at nearest school, distance of household from school etc etc?

vinnyeh

But it doesn’t demonstrate causality.
    Fwiw, our two kids, almost every night without fail, will try and read in bed after lights out, and will often fall asleep with lights or torches on.
    The eldest gets driven to school.

jam-bo

no i don’t but i do look after one, which i understand on stw stands for nothing.

was just curious. my boy is nearly 2 and loves my iphone. still ration access to though.

never watches TV though as we don’t watch much, unlikely to have a TV in his room as we don’t and never will.

in fact, off to wake him up shortly and take him for a ride.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Our children will grow up in a world far more connected via devices and technology than we can currently imagine. So perhaps they should learn how to use these devices at an early age?

Nah, not really imo. ‘Using the devices’ isn’t complicated, any fool can do it, at any age. Doing something useful with it, that requires education independent of the device.
    So the current students we have were all born in the age of the internet. Never known anything else – yet are often pretty hopeless at actually finding the information they need off it.

binners

My extensive research has shown that if given Cocoa Pops for breakfast, then daughter number one will then favour Candy Crush over Angry Birds. Daughter number two doesn’t really like cereal, preferring toast, and doesn’t have a television in her room, but does have a Wii, and as a direct result of this prefers playing Cut the Rope

Where do apply for my research grant?

jam-bo

So perhaps they should learn how to use these devices at an early age?

my dad learnt at 68 how to use an ipad having never touched a computer in his life. it took about half an hour.

miketually
    Free Member

Correlation, schmolleration.

* I had a TV in my room and walked to school. I have asthma.
    * My kids don’t have TVs in their room and generally walk, but are sometimes driven. They don’t have asthma.

🙂

I suspect that many of the negative influences of TV on kids that we all know for a fact happen are actually a combination of rose-tinted spectacles and the shockingly bad reporting of academic studies* that we’re inflicted with in this country.

* assuming they were academic studies and not just a phone poll carried out on behalf of a travel agent, insurance company or TV channel, which then gets reported as something more, before being picked up on by the education secretary as the basis for his reforms.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Why don’t parents say ‘no’?

Because some parents (more often than not of the female variety), think their purpose in life is to be their kids bestest ever friend. The notion of actual parenting doesn’t ever occur to them.

If your very best friend is your child or parent, you undoubtedly have some serious social issues.

I’m hypothesizing it’s the only way those parents can have a best friend all to themselves (social outcasts?).

irelanst
    Free Member

Doing something useful with it, that requires education independent of the device.

At my daughters school that is incorporated into the lessons. The school doesn’t just teach them how to drive the device and they don’t have ‘using an iPad’ lesson, but they are taught how to use the device in an efficient and productive way as a tool within the lesson. Rather than being spoon fed information they are guided how to find out things themselves, I can’t see any negatives. They don’t spend all day playing minecraft.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Tucker I would have thought your parents were your only friend as you seem the sort that only a parent could love.
    Troll be a trolling and, if you are not, I pity you

dazh

I’ve been thinking about getting my 8 year old a mobile phone. The main reason being that it’ll increase my chances of contacting her mother as she will at least carry it with her and probably answer it when I ring.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

I kind of agree with Tucker. I’d best get back under my bridge.

Solo
    Free Member

Yeap, agree with this. I knew a fella once. His eldest son had TV, computer, phone, all that kinda stuff in his bedroom. By 16yrs, his son had isolated himself, living totally in his room only passing through the house to go out.

I won’t let my nephew have a mobile phone until he’s a bit older. But I did buy him a very nice road bike, last Xmas.

mogrim

So the current students we have were all born in the age of the internet. Never known anything else – yet are often pretty hopeless at actually finding the information they need off it.

Not quite sure why you think that’s a problem, though. For most of us the days of reference books and heading to the library to look stuff up are long gone. The few exceptions (historians, lawyers etc.) can just learn it, it’s not that difficult and is more a matter of practice than anything else.

wwaswas

I won’t let my nephew have a mobile phone until he’s a bit older

😯

I think if my brother started saying stuff like that about my kids we’d exchange words.

miketually
    Free Member

Yeap, agree with this. I knew a fella once. His eldest son had TV, computer, phone, all that kinda stuff in his bedroom. By 16yrs, his son had isolated himself, living totally in his room only passing through the house to go out.

My wife’s cousin ended up like this, apart from the going out bit, despite not having a TV in her room.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I suspect that many of the negative influences of TV on kids that we all know for a fact happen are actually a combination of rose-tinted spectacles and the shockingly bad reporting of academic studies* that we’re inflicted with in this country.

I have a slight knowledge of it having read some of the primary academic literature, and there is a lot of evidence that tons and tons of TV might be bad for people, and that it isn’t so good for under 2s. Some kids really are watching quite a lot of TV mind, so the worst cases in the studies really are watching a lot.

It is quite nuanced, but I bet none of the academics doing any of that work let their kids have TVs in their rooms, or let their young kids watch a lot of TV.

One really interesting summary thing I read today – basic summary, paying on facebook / games (aka ‘cognitively active screen time’) may be better for your kids than watching tv. Lots of interesting stuff about screen time and under 5s also.

http://game-flow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/AJEC-paper-Screen-Time-web.pdf

Also, quite a lot of evidence that increasing TV time may lead to higher likelihood of getting fat (or getting ‘metabolic syndrome’, essentially the same thing), independent of physical activity. Which probably suggests it’s better not to have TV in their room where time is to some extent uncontrolled.
    eg:
    http://www.ijbnpa.org/content/4/1/26
    http://jpubhealth.oxfordjournals.org/content/30/2/153.short

All this stuff is pretty easy to find, you just need to google scholar for it, much of it is publically available – http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=screen+time

It is often worth looking at the names of people when academic studies are reported, and at least googling and reading the abstract to see what the study actually said.

Solo
    Free Member

I think if my brother started saying stuff like that about my kids we’d exchange words.

I would have happily, not taken up the responsibility of keeping an eye on my nephew. But life sometimes doesn’t work out as you might like. I take and make the unpopular decisions to save his mother the ear ache.

Viewing 36 posts - 81 through 116 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Why don't parents say 'no'?’ is closed to new replies.