Why doesn't the devil ever possess muslims, buddhists, sikhs etc?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Why doesn't the devil ever possess muslims, buddhists, sikhs etc?
  • I watched The Conjuring yesterday.
    I won’t give the plot away, but it’s a fairly standard Hollywood horror film that starts with a nice wholesome American family moving in to a new house and ends with an exorcism.

Anyway, it got me thinking, if all it takes to drive the devil out of someone is a bloke in a dress speaking Latin, waving a cross about and splashing holy water everywhere, then surely the devil’s modus operandi (see what I did there?) is seriously flawed by always possessing people who have easy access to catholic priests.
    If I was the prince of darkness and in the business of demonic possession, I’d be targeting possessees from cultures who not only have no crosses or holy water to hand, but also have no idea of their significance.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Thousands of people disposed of every year all over the world, using whichever excuse is most convenient.

I can see Pendle Hill from here.

jimjam

Would the Devil enjoy that though?

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

It’s a great view from the top, so why not?

hilldodger

Islamic tradition talks of possesion by Jinn or Shaitan (evil spirits or the devil)
    I guess the christian version is more Holywood friendly and less politically sensitive?

marthall

a) Because “the devil” is a Christian construct

b) It’s an amalgam of “Lucifer”, “The snake” and all sorts of other random crap the Christian church invented a few hundred years after the death of Christ to have a “stick” to balance the hippy Christ “carrot”

c) It’s all made up.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

If I was the prince of darkness and in the business of demonic possession, I’d be targeting possessees from cultures who not only have no crosses or holy water to hand, but also have no idea of their significance.

Surely you need to be the one to write that story then? It’s all made up by writers, so you’ve found a hole in fiction-land that needs filling.

Premier Icon eddie11
    Subscriber

What marthall said. Christians made the devil up. There’s no devil on the Old Testament

Jews were happy with a monotheistic god that was both good and bad.

Junkyard

There’s no devil on the Old Testament

There is satan though which is the same thing

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

I guess the christian version is more Holywood friendly

That said – the devil and hell are hardly described in the bible I don’t think the devil is given any physical description at all. When we depict either in film and fiction we’re usually referring to images created by Dante or Milton rather than the bible itself.

Lifer

Junkyard – lazarus

“There’s no devil on the Old Testament”

There is satan though which is the same thing

The Absence of Satan in the Old Testament

eddie11 – Member
    Jews were happy with a monotheistic god that was both good and bad.

This pretty much.

I find the story of the Day Star/Son of Dawn/Lucifer’s fall and his transformation into Satan through different translations of the bible very interesting.

Lucifer

The fall of Lucifer is also mirrored in Islam in the refusal of Iblis to bow down to Adam.

Devil in Islam

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

if all it takes to drive the devil out of someone is a bloke in a dress speaking Latin, waving a cross about and splashing holy water everywhere, then surely the devil’s modus operandi (see what I did there?) is seriously flawed by always possessing people who have easy access to catholic priests.

Maybe he has, and that’s why they believe the wrong religion?

Premier Icon neil the wheel
    Subscriber

Ha! I was going to make mike’s point, but from the other direction:
    He doesn’t need to. They are already in his power.

So why don’t we see people from other religions levitating and with their heads spinning round, like what people in films who have been possessed do?

I am sure I have heard about spirit possession in other religions.

Let me google it for you:

The devil part is a Christian construct but stories of possession of people pre-dates Christianity. I am also sure Native American cultures also have many such stories and beliefs.

In fact its so widespread you either have to accept that its a common take on mental illness or its actually true 😯

EDIT: How would an epileptic look to someone with no knowledge of such things and limited education?

Lifer

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

So why don’t we see people from other religions levitating and with their heads spinning round, like what people in films who have been possessed do?

Is there any reference to this kind of possession before The Exorcist?

I am sure I have heard about spirit possession in other religions.

So how does the cross and holy water thing work then?

It’s probably ‘cos teh brown peoples are a bit stinky eh?

Lifer

A Catholic family would believe it was possession by the devil and so would get their priest in. Assuming it isn’t a real thing then the person ‘possessed’ would react to the priest as that’s their conditioning.

Other religions have different reference points and the ‘possessed’ person would react to what they’ve been taught the symptoms of possession are and what the ‘cure’ is.

Maybe?

ads678

So how does the cross and holy water thing work then?

It doesn’t, it’s all made up. Wheres that mr tickle book…….

yunki

Too **** scared probably.. they don’t **** about if you get on the wrong side of them do they..

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

In fact its so widespread you either have to accept that its a common take on mental illness or its actually true

I know which of these two conclusions I would reach…

EDIT: How would an epileptic look to someone with no knowledge of such things and limited education?

Many of the descriptions prophets, like Ezekiel and Muhammad, in ancient texts match descriptions of illnesses like epilepsy.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Buddhism has some nice ideas about “possession” sometimes being essentially a visualisation or manifestation of people’s dualistic nature- so the “demon” is simply a part of you that you’ve failed to integrate with or recognise, and any healing is basically psychology and coming to terms with that. Milarepa:

“Concerning these three-the apparition of the obstructive spirit, The mental grasping of that spirit, And the discrimination of it, they all originate from the yogin’s mind and will dissolve into his mind. For obstructive spirits are only manifestations of his mind.

The yogin is overcome by his own delusion when he conceives the reality of these forces and fails to realize the emptiness of such appearances.”

He thought he was possessed at one point, til his demon explained it all to him! Nice demon.

But then you can more or less split buddhism into fairly pragmatic sensible being cool stuff, and batshit mentalness, and there’s quite a lot of proper oldschool possession and exorcism in the batshit side of it I think.

TooTall

Have you analyzed the films of those countries where Christianity is not the dominant religion as part of your quest for knowledge?

If not, then how would you know of an imbalance? Your question speaks more of your own blinkered viewpoint than it does of exorcism or any religion.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Why doesn't the devil ever possess muslims, buddhists, sikhs etc?’ is closed to new replies.