Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Why doesn't a mountain front mech work with road shifters?
  • technicallyinept
    Free Member

Or vice-versa?

Is it due to the chain line?

are the rings on road and mtb triple chainsets the same spacing between the rings, and same overall?

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

its due to the cable pull ratio.

The pivot/parallelogram locations differ between road/mtb which means that every millimetre of cable pulled by the shifters does different things to the derailleurs.

Edric64
    Free Member

Xt 9 speed front mech is working with Sora shifters on my cross bike and a Deore triple chainset 22/32/44

mrblobby
    Free Member

Using an X9 shifter, a 105 mech and a road compact chainset here with no problems (both 2speed/double).

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Using a XT front mech on a road triple, with 105 double shifter and using the”trim”position to get all three rings. Works unbelievably well!

grim168
    Free Member

XT front triple with a campag veloce shifter on a drop bar tourer here.

coatesy
    Free Member

Have you routed the cable into it’s clamp correctly? Some of the bottom swing mechs have a lug that the cable needs to go around the outside of, but looks like it should go on the inside of, which alters the pull ratio quite a lot.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I haven’t tried yet. Just figuring what parts I need to acquire 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Most do. The cable pull is slightly different, and the throw is less, but all bar the newest ones will work, you may just have to fiddle a bit.

Edit: actually road shifters/MTB mech works better than than the other way round.

MSP

Old 9 speed mtb mechs will work with 9 & 10 speed road shifters as the pull ratio was the same, not sure about 11 speed.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Old 9 speed mtb mechs will work with 9 & 10 speed road shifters as the pull ratio was the same, not sure about 11 speed.

Rear?

I was on about the front.

I have no desire to go 10 speed on a build (Salsa Vaya) so looking at XT 9sp rear and a ‘touring’ triple (48-36-26ish) up front. I have an unused XT front mech but need to get some shifters (was thinking Sora 9speed).

I guess I’ll just see what happens 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Why doesn't a mountain front mech work with road shifters?’ is closed to new replies.