Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Why does football get 'Special Treatment'?
  • wilburt
    Free Member

Is he a halfwit too ? Or just me.

Perhaps a bit harsh, try a month without it then decide.

weeksy

Perhaps a bit harsh, try a month without it then decide.

Why ? What would i gain from that ? It’s like saying spend a month without cycling or motorbikes or friends or my wife… Why would i remove part of what makes me ‘me’

squirrelking
    Free Member

Because it makes you a halfwit?

(To be fair you have at least read the topic or at least not given any indication that you haven’t, reading seems to be a effort for most round here…)

JackHammer

Cant even get to my monthly micro-brewery opening tomorrow. Stupid football hooligans.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

just as well Hapoel Tel-Aviv or Bietar Jerusalem aren’t playing.

plyphon
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_uOgyBK1c[/video]

Football, football, football

chrismac

Given that its for a football match that is all about making money, after all that is what FIFA is all about. I do hope that the sport pays for absolutely everything. In an ideal world compensates those it inconveniences.

kcr
    Free Member

Money. Football is big business.

JackHammer

Wonder if there’s a similar thread about Fort William 😆

binners

I bet the French are gearing up for a right old whiney middle-class cockbag whinge-fest about all those bloody cyclists who make them close all the roads every year too 😉

mikey3
    Free Member

Wow this thread is a full on moaning snobfest,even for this place.

weeksy

This shows that scale of football now..

The 2016-17 season was the first of the latest TV deal and saw a total of almost £2.4bn paid to the 20 clubs

That’s the Premier League only…

wilburt
    Free Member

and they still rinse the fans for every penny they can.

milky1980
    Free Member

And we’ll be closing your streets for the Velothon next month. Enjoy!

Nowhere near the same thing.

The Velothon, Half Marathon and normal Rugby events close the streets for a few hours at most and usually on a Sunday or late evening. They also bring a bit of extra atmosphere to the city.

This event has caused trouble for a lot of people for a few days (with two more to go, plus the deconstruction) and is having the effect of keeping the regular visitors away. The shopping centres were very quiet this afternoon and a lot of shops have reduced staffing levels for the weekend. I know of tow big retailers who have offered to let some staff take the weekend off as holiday due to the trouble they’re going to have getting in as the busses and trains are running different timetable and prioritising fans with tickets.

Given that its for a football match that is all about making money, after all that is what FIFA is all about. I do hope that the sport pays for absolutely everything. In an ideal world compensates those it inconveniences.

UEFA/FAW have stumped up £1.5m for extra policing, the rest is being paid for by the council.

newrobdob
    Free Member

If I owned a retail place that sufferered financially from that event I’d be kicking up a huge fuss and sueing for loss of earnings for whoever was responsible.

Totally with the OP, it’s over the top and ridiculous and no thought is ever made for the people and businesses their game will have a negative effect on.

The sooner the football business falls on its face and suffers some huge problems which bring the big money game to its knees the better. Nothing against the game itself, but the money has corrupted it way past any measure of reasonableness.

And of course many like me will be shouted down and pushed aside because “everyone likes football don’t they”?!?

newrobdob
    Free Member

…… the rest is being paid for by the council.

Paid for eventually by local residents in increased bills.

Thanks very much “Football”. Sport of the people? Don’t think so.

copa
    Free Member

There are some benefits to the arrival of our soccer overlords. The abandoned mountain bike which has been chained to a post in Bute Park for the past four years has finally gone.

Felt a bit sad when I saw the empty space. For the first few years it was left untouched. Then about a year ago somebody nabbed the back wheel. And now it’s gone.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s not hard to conclude the increased security is due to recent events in Manchester.

After the event, the locals should let the local council know that they don’t want major sporting events taking place in Wales. Other places will welcome the income I’m sure.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think I’ll bump this thread next time they shut a city down for a cycling event or a marathon! 😆

Cheer up ya torn faced gits!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

newrobdob – Member

…… the rest is being paid for by the council.

Paid for eventually by local residents in increased bills.

Thanks very much “Football”. Sport of the people? Don’t think so.[/quote]
    What is the normal hotel occupancy rate for this weekend?
    What does the airport normally take in taxes?
    How many people will be taking home extra wages this week?
    How much money will the fans spend in Cardiff over their trip?

As pointed out it’s the 2nd biggest Football game in the world. It’s taking place during a higher threat level and when the world is watching. The police may have specific intelligence or just be taking the right precautions. 12 months ago it probably would have been a much smaller event but having seen the problems when Ranger got to the UEFA final in Manchester having a way to host the fans without tickets is important.

scruffywelder
    Free Member

What really boils my piss is football clubs in financial bother getting preferential treatment from HMRC…

binners

Jesus, there are some utterly joyless, moaning old bastards on this forum. 😆

Why not stop your never-ending, tedious bleating for 90 minutes, grab a beer and watch it? You never know….. you might actually enjoy it. It’ll be a belting game!

Hell…. Why not head into a City centre bar and soak up the atmosphere? That’s certainly what I’d be doing if I lived there. I bet it’s ace! Fans will be coming from all over Europe for the biggest game of the season! In your home city!

Alternatively…. just carry on boring everyone around you (and us!) to death with your perpetual whining?

kennyp
    Free Member

This event has caused trouble for a lot of people for a few days (with two more to go, plus the deconstruction) and is having the effect of keeping the regular visitors away. The shopping centres were very quiet this afternoon and a lot of shops have reduced staffing levels for the weekend. I know of tow big retailers who have offered to let some staff take the weekend off as holiday due to the trouble they’re going to have getting in as the busses and trains are running different timetable and prioritising fans with tickets.

That’s what you call “trouble”? Sounds pretty good to me. Going without spending money in shops for a while is hardly a hardship, staff get some time off, regular visitors go elsewhere but the city has a whole host of new ones, hardly what you would term hardship surely?

I’m no fan of football generally, and I know this is as much about money as it is about sport, but seems like there are two options. Either go into the city, have a few beers and meet people from Italy and Spain, or if you want to avoid it head out into the country and ride bikes.

I live in Edinburgh. We get “disrupted” for an entire month every August with the world’s biggest festivals. It’s brilliant though, my favourite time of the year.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think I kinda now get why Wales cut it’s nose aff despite its face in the brexit vote now! 😆

Waderider
    Free Member

Football is petty tribalism masquerading as sport and as such I also begrudge when it is given priority on television etc.

I’m sure football fans will find my opinion very interesting.

binners

Football is petty tribalism masquerading as sport and as such I also begrudge when it is given priority on television etc.

I’m sure football fans will find my opinion very interesting.

I think you’re confusing the word interesting with achingly tedious, totally predictable and boorish

And Its given ‘priority on television’ precisely because billions of people around the planet have a totally different view to yours and will be tuned into the game tonight. Myself and my mates included

Let me go out on a limb and take a wild guess on your opinion of football? One which you no doubt voice at every available opportunity….

is it “a bunch of bloody overpaid prima donnas pouncing around on a lawn, watched by morons’ by any remote chance? 😆

binners

I’m also going to go out on a limb and guess which ‘sport’ you hold up as some fine example of athleticism and fair play, and watched and played by fine upstanding gentlemen?

Is it that niche one thats of little interest to anyone who isn’t called Ollie, and lives in the home counties?

See… its easy this spouting tedious stereotypes lark, isn’t it? 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

Waverider. Fitba isn’t petty tribalism. It’s pure tribalism. It would be shite without that aspect of it! 😆

binners

Indeed. Thats why the best football chants are so gloriously, creatively offensive 😀

My personal favourite is the one that United fans used to sing to serenade Park Ji-sung

seosamh77
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Indeed. Thats why the best football chants are so gloriously, creatively offensive

My personal favourite is the one that United fans used to sing to serenade Park Ji-sungI always laugh when we get criticised for offensive nature of our chants up here. Some chants from the English clubs, man u in particular, are beautifully offensive! 😆 Way more so than you see up here!

Don’t ask me for any examples mind, I’ve just heard some in the past, where I’ve been, hhmm, sake lads! 😆

RustySpanner

My word, this is going to be good.
    OP, you have no idea what you’re missing…..

As for United chants, I really hope ‘Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance for Mourinho..’ catches on a bit more.
    🙂

spekkie
    Free Member

Most Football fans voted Brexit.

#Fact*

*might be fact, I don’t really know.

binners

Sergio Ramos, you diving bastard! Took the edge off was had been a great match.

How’s the traffic?

frankconway

Aaaanyway, returning to the OP – footie doesn’t get ‘special treatment’.
    It’s a well supported sport which provides a relatively soft mass target for those so inclined. This means that security precautions will be extensive and intrusive.
    Huws on page 1 makes some good points from an organisational and logistical perspective.

I assume that Cardiff submitted a bid to host mens & women CL finals – same as bidding for World Cup & Olympics.
    If that’s correct the bid will have factored into it the organisational/logistical considerations, security requirements, disruption to residents and non-footie visitors, net revenue to Cardiff and wider area (so gross revenue minus one-off event specific costs), cultural benefits, raising profile of Cardiff and Wales generally as destination, repeat tourist visits and more.

Having said all of that I would be *unimpressed* if my routine was disturbed for 4 days for a sporting event in which I had little interest but – I can see the bigger picture.

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Why does football get 'Special Treatment'?’ is closed to new replies.