Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Why do we let these people in ?
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

In the search for missing school girl Police are looking for a convicted murderer who served 7 years in jail in Latvia and who was arrested for an alleged sexual assault on a 14yr old in 2009 in London. He was seen cycling along the towpath behind the missing girl.

How many red flags do we need ?

You cannot get into the United States with such a conviction, why do we let these people come to the UK ?

BBC News

wwaswas

why do we let these people come to the UK ?

Can I be the first to blame the EU? (rather than the British government that agreed to it or the British MEP’s that voted for it).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Political correctness gone mad?

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

But what about his rights? Surely even filthy murdering paedo rapists have some rights? This is exactly where we have gone wrong.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

fubar

nemesis
    Free Member

<deleted>

Can’t be bothered

OK, since I’ve been quoted below I’ll reinstate it:

We should definitely be using this situation as an excuse for re-enforcing our xenophobic views.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I can see the headline, ‘Cyclist Questioned Over Child Disappearance’

Lifer
    Free Member

I thought your comment was spot on nemesis.

gobuchul
    Free Member

We should definitely be using this situation as an excuse for re-enforcing our xenophobic views.

How is it xenophobic to suggest that foreign nationals with very violent criminal convictions should be denied entry into the UK?

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For all we know she was mugged, he intervened and the attackers knifed them both in panick and dumped the bodies in the cannal.

Says a lot for this country when a missing brit makes front page news and a missing foreigner takes 2 weeks for the police to even show an interest.

joolsburger
    Free Member

The term “these people” in the title could well have been replaced by “this person” the first is a bit daily mail if you ask me..

Ex convicts have the freedom to travel in the EU, you have to take the rough with the smooth I suppose.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Says a lot for this country when a missing brit makes front page news and a missing foreigner takes 2 weeks for the police to even show an interest.

Seriously?

There is a big difference from a 41 yr old man going missing and a 14 yr old schoolgirl.

FFS! 🙄

nemesis
    Free Member

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Yes, I agree as a point to debate in a broader sense.

Should only murderers be excluded or violent criminals or tax dodgers or people with a speeding conviction? What if it’s spent? In our society we consider people free once they’ve served a sentence and innocent if they’re arrested but not convicted. Should that change too then? What’s the difference between a Latvian in that situation and a Brit? Is one more likely to offend than the other?

IMO the OP is driven by xenophobic views. These people don’t like having Latvians and others over here so this is further evidence of how right they are in holding that view irrespective of the fact that Latvian murderers living over here and committing crime is going to be a very small risk in comparison to our homegrown murderers unless you think they’re particularly more likely to commit crimes.

My point irrespective is that using a girl’s likely murder as an opportunity to make a point about something is pretty low. Especially when the facts aren’t even clear yet. IMO again.

kimbers

its true, we’ll let anyone in

this guys just had athousand women and children murdered and he can visit whenever he likes

back on the subject , what about homegrown murderers and should we chuck all them out too?

I think an EU wide sex offenders register is a good idea

footflaps

It works both ways, we export most our career crims to the South of Spain where they spend the proceeds from a life of crime in the sun (until getting caught, deported and banged up in the UK).

Crell
    Free Member

We don’t know whether the person they’re looking for is involved at all; before a lynch mob is formed, but I would like to see criminal conviction as a basis for refusal of entry in to the UK.

kimbers

The girl went missing near where I live, there are posters up everywhere

The police contacted me because theyd seen my strava profile took me along the canal that day!, and so I was interviewed yesterday to see if id seen the girl etc, which was all a bit scary

If this is the guy then I hope they catch him soon

chip
    Free Member

A school girl goes missing , Latvian pervert murderer goes missing in circumstance that would lead any right minded person to believe he may have had something to do with it. and some question why we let foreign criminals in and numpties play the racist card.

And we wonder how Rotherham happened,
    I tell you how, similar numpties were relieved of their window licking duties to take up positions in local government.

nemesis
    Free Member

I strongly expect that it will be the Latvian guy who did it.

That’s not the point I’m making about this thread.

I probably should have left it deleted as this clearly is going to be a dead end debate.

footflaps

the police contacted me because theyd seen my strava profile took me along the canal that day!, and so I was interviewed yesterday to see if id seen the girl etc, which was all a bit scary

Quite impressed that they’re that thorough!

kimbers

I did have to do a fair bit of explaining about how strava worked, but yes it is quite encouraging.

Chip you almost managed to make sense there, congrats;-)

cheekyboy
    Free Member

back on the subject , what about homegrown murderers and should we chuck all them out too?

Daft comment, they are UK citizens and therefore UK`s problem unless of you really do think we should chuck them out.

joolsburger
    Free Member

No one doubts that this chap could have been involved and if he was then that’s one thing. To then make the leap to no-one with a criminal conviction should be let into the UK is frankly ludicrous.

Murder and violent crime in general are lower now than at any time in the history of the UK, seems that some interest groups would like the public to forget that fact. Using the term “these people” in an actual conversation with no sense of irony – Really?

gobuchul
    Free Member

That’s not the point I’m making about this thread.

What point are you making?

It seems that you were accusing people of being xenophobic to me?

The fact that the guy is Latvian is irrelevant, the fact he has a violent criminal conviction is relevant.

He has been described in news reports to try and help find him.

grum
    Free Member

Well said nemesis.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Murder and violent crime in general are lower now than at any time in the history of the UK, seems that some interest groups would like the public to forget that fact.

So what? Your point is?

rob2
    Free Member

It’s terribly, terribly sad about that girl. What her parents must be going through god only knows. Let’s not forget that.

This type of case does raise questions I think about the border controls, so I do agree with the OP, but yes an EU issue waiting to happen.

Maybe Scotland has got it right going alone… but that’s for another thread ;o)

nemesis
    Free Member

What point are you making?

It’s up there if you haven’t read it already.

soobalias
    Free Member

so let me get this straight,

you were riding along the canal yelling STRAAAAAVVAAAAAA!!!!!
    did you even notice how many young girls and eastern european peado convicts you knocked into the water?

joolsburger
    Free Member

My point is racism and xenophobia are fuelled by fear of a reality that doesn’t actually exist, so you get people talking about tougher border controls and how “these people” shouldn’t be allowed to do whatever it is they haven’t yet been convicted of. Easy really.

kimbers

cheekyboy – Member
    Daft comment, they are UK citizens and therefore UK`s problem unless of you really do think we should chuck them out.

so is a uk murder less likely to reoffend than a latvian one?

nealglover
    Free Member

I did have to do a fair bit of explaining about how strava worked,

Out of interest, if they didn’t know how strava worked, how did they find out that your strava logged you riding along the canal ?

Or how did they know to even use it as a resource.

nealglover
    Free Member

Dbl post

gobuchul
    Free Member

so is a uk murder less likely to reoffend than a latvian one?

That’s not what is being said.

The fact is we have enough UK nationals who are already murdering rapists. Unfortunately we can’t export them.

We really don’t want anymore.

There are different categories of offences, if you are convicted of very serious crimes, this should prevent you from entering the UK.

Why would we want these sorts of people living among us?

footflaps

My point is racism and xenophobia are fuelled by fear of a reality that doesn’t actually exist, so you get people talking about tougher border controls and how “these people” shouldn’t be allowed to do whatever it is they haven’t yet been convicted of.

I think you’re missing the point, they’ve already been found guilty of being ‘a bit foreign’ which is a far, far worse crime……

nemesis
    Free Member

There are different categories of offences, if you are convicted of very serious crimes, this should prevent you from entering the UK.

Actually I agree. That’s irrelevant to my point though.

kimbers

Ive no idea, the policewoman just said shed been searching social media and seen that I was in the area that day via starva (I hadnt posted it to facebook)

She wasnt sure how you uploaded your ride or what segments were etc

joolsburger
    Free Member

Lots of ex-criminals come to the UK and lead perfectly decent lives and vice versa I’m sure. The problem with your argument is it implies a criminal cannot rehabilitate and I don’t accept that is true.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There is a big difference from a 41 yr old man going missing and a 14 yr old schoolgirl.

Yup, police effort should definitely be based on how British and photogenic you are.

If he is responsible for her dissaperance then putting an equal effort into the missing persons investigations might have found that link a lot sooner.

edlong
    Free Member

I can see the headline, ‘Cyclist Questioned Over Child Disappearance’

Daily Mail have already gone there, they had a headline on their website yesterday describing him as a “Latvian Cyclist”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Why do we let these people in ?’ is closed to new replies.