Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Why do we have to put up with morons in the press with their views on cycling!
  • maxray
    Free Member

(link removed)

This guy is just a poor man’s Clarkson!

I am surprised this has even been passed as a piece of “journalism” worthy of publication!! As much as I disagree with his views on cyclists, the piece is not coherent and jumps from topic to topic.

Boils my piss this sort of thing! Think I will have to drop the B’ham Mail a complaint email.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

why? because it’s an opinion piece that in reality needs to get hits to the website to generate advertising income for the publisher. Roll dice/throw darts and pick the next topic, failing that just get out the Dail Wail archive and have a go there.

wwaswas

why should cycling be the only human activity to avoid the attentions of morons in the press?

Local papers regularly print this stuff ‘cos it does wonders for their site traffic. The best solution is not to put links to it on other popular sites 😉

oldnpastit

All cyclists hate Britain. Everyone knows that now.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s a standard ploy to generate web traffic. Mention cyclists and you’ll get plenty of people logging on to post their opposing views.

In one way it’s good, it means it’s an issue which means it’s getting talked about. And the end result, no matter how far down the line, can only be that the bike wins. Obviously the immediate concern is that it allows stupid people like this chap to encourage hatred. Luckily that perspective is so badly written and doesn’t even really seem to focus on any particular point that I doubt it will make any real impression,.

maxray
    Free Member

True wwaswas/ mikewsmith, still pathetic in my view though as even if that is the reason they do it, it is still perpetuating that sort of perception of cyclists to readers of their rag that are not as savvy as yourselves.

jameso

As said above – you gave them what they wanted by linking it, sorry..
    Ignore it and it goes away? Tide’s turning anyway, they seem to attract more pro-bike comments but zero response at all would be even better.

nickjb
    Free Member

Still time to remove the link. Any traffic just encourages them

maxray
    Free Member

link removed which kind of makes this whole thread a little pointless 🙂

(mods feel free to delete)

maxray
    Free Member

Ill go back to being silently annoyed about it… gagged by my own fellow cyclists.. who’d of thunk it! 😉

handyandy
    Free Member

we have to put up with morons on the internet, not much difference 😉

BlobOnAStick

I don’t know whether it is because I work in a particularly enlightened office or that colleagues, aquaintances and random strangers I get to speak to have subliminally been chosen only for their propensity to buy bikes but…….

I find that views such as those published in aformentioned rags are increasingly out of step with those around me. I’ve noticed a difference even on my regular 2-mile commute from the station – it’s got to be nearly 12 months since anyone hurled abuse at me for ‘getting in their way’ from it being a fortnightly occurance.

Also, interchanges such as those captured in the latest Meerkat STW column (“you could buy a car for that” etc) are very out of date as far as my experience goes – I don’t think I’ve had one of those conversations for at least 3 years!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Why do we have to put up with morons in the press with their views on cycling!’ is closed to new replies.