Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Why do these bikes feel so different – Geometry Gurus Assemble
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

I have 2 bikes at the moment. One Genesis Fugio and one Spesh Allez. I can spend all day comfortably on the Genesis but get fidgety/uncomfortable after an hour on the Allez. The geometry is pretty identical with the exception of head angle. So why do they feel so different?

Fugio Medium Allez 56m
    Seat Tube 530 530
    Top Tube 567 564
    Reach 385 385
    Stack 594 596
    Head Tube 165 180
    Head Angle 70.5 73.5
    Seat Angle 73 73.25
    Wheelbase 1045 996

jam-bo

Is it the head angle?

simondbarnes

Pretty identical? Hardly. Head angle, fork length, chainstay length are all very different. They’re also made of different materials and I’m guessing that you have larger tyres on the Fugio?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tyres, pressure, saddle and height, bars and setup?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Is it the head angle?

No, the reach is identical so it makes no odds.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Pretty identical? Hardly. Head angle, fork length, chainstay length are all very different. They’re also made of different materials and I’m guessing that you have larger tyres on the Fugio?

Stack and reach are identical so fork length is irrelevant. Chainstay length? don’t know why that would affect anything position wise. And materials tyres etc same. I am talking about riding position not comfort over typical terrain.

JoB
    Free Member

the Fugio is a long wheelbase slacker angled fat tyred gravel bike, the Allez is a shorter wheelbase tighter angled narrow tyred faster handling road bike

brant
    Free Member

🤔

trailwagger
    Free Member

So I didn’t make it very clear in the op. I am talking about seating riding postion, not how comfy the bike is or how it handles over certain terrain.

vincienup
    Free Member

Got to say I agree with Simon. Very few of those measurements are the same. Reducing everything to bar position (stack and reach) may be simplistic when considering why a bike becomes uncomfortable on longer rides (but presumably feels fine for short ones)

trailwagger
    Free Member

Got to say I agree with Simon. Very few of those measurements are the same. Reducing everything to bar position (stack and reach) may be simplistic when considering why a bike becomes uncomfortable on longer rides (but presumably feels fine for short ones)

I think 2mm is close enough to not be noticeable don’t you? If seat angle, stack and reach are all the same (or within 2mm of each other) then why does the riding position feel so different?

otsdr
    Free Member

Same stem length/angle and handlebar reach/width?

simondbarnes

I’m out

trailwagger
    Free Member

I’m out

Thanks for your help.

spev

how long are the stems on each? stem angle? bar height?
    the longer wheelbase alone makes the Fugio more stable and (in my experience) less tiring to ride

UK-FLATLANDER

Are you using the same saddle set at the same angle? If not then perhaps a slightly different pelvis angle is the issue.

otsdr
    Free Member

Simple way of telling at least if the “cockpit” reach is the same would be to measure the distance from the center of the stem to the top of the hoods, where you rest your hands.
    Handlebar drop is slightly harder to measure, but you could use a length of wood propped on the saddle and top of the bars and a phone angle measuring app.

kerley
    Free Member

How many spacers do you have under the stem. The bars will become closer on slacker angled headtube of the Fugio the higher you have them and the stem will have slightly less drop (assuming stems are same angle)

You must also be higher off the ground on the Allez as headtube is longer but stack is same so Allez must have less BB drop (15mm). Being higher off ground can lead to a feeling of being sat on top of the bike rather than ‘in’ the bike and more stable.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Why do these bikes feel so different – Geometry Gurus Assemble’ is closed to new replies.