Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • why do so many people knock superstar components?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

its not a troll or a dig,but there seems to be a bit of an undercurrent of negativity relating to superstar.
    why is this? i dont own any of there stuff but am tempted. what is it that i dont know?

_tom_
    Free Member

No idea, I've never had problems but the only products I've used have been the grips and brake pads. Both of which are great.

loddrik
    Free Member

Superwho….

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think there is history with Mr SSc and STW forum members and also their old Pads (a while ago) were reported to delaminte?

br
    Free Member

no problems for this customer

Stoner
    Free Member

Poor warranty and customer relations behaviour during some poor product quality episodes.

Since SSC is a "brander" company with no development function their products can be great or poor because they come from different suppliers. The good products are good, the bad, not so. It then comes down to your customer relations approach as to how you deal with the bad products.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wot stoner says – but I would put it a lot stronger. After the way he treated friends of mine I would never touch his products.

PeteG55
    Free Member

I've been using their brake pads for a while, and a use their BBs on my DH bike and my trail bike. Its all been good so far. I know one guy who had a pair of pads fall apart, but he got them sorted and he's carried on using their pads. I also know of people using the genuine hope pads do the same thing, so Superstar aren't the only ones.
    I think half of it is typical internet rumour mill/grapevine.

Houns

The bloke is a grade A tool

Nainosliw
    Free Member

I think it's cos a batch of brake pads were dodgy anD the friction material wasn't properly bonded to the back plate. SSC then didn't really fess up for a while which didn't help customer relations and trust in them, but seemed to have worked hard to get it right since then.

I've bought and generally been happy with the VFM of SSC stuff, although i did have one brake pad behave as above. I was descending an alp at the time.

Some mates say that it's pointless saving a few quid on a ride and safety critical item like a brake pad.

So it's a case of yer pays yer money ad yer takes yer pick, I think

khani
    Free Member

he was pretending to be a reguler stw'r and slating other brands and acting like a right nob, also the no quibble warranty was actualy very quibbly,
    seems to have gone quiet now, i think the mods had a quiet word

atlaz
    Free Member

Yep. a dodgy batch of pads but his response to people who had issues with the pads and some other products put me off.

Think Kesae but slightly more rational.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

yep customer realation not a strong point had some trouble with some brake pads contacted them and was told i hadn't put them in right this point of view was reached without even seeing the pads and it was surggested that i didn't know how to do the job in hand which is funny cause iam a mech engineer and have a shed load of qualifications and 20years experience of fixing thing far more complex than a bike so no customer realation not good 👿

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

pads are good now, but had a bottom bracket that lasted 2 rides, would never get anything like that from them again, but pads, no probelem.

juiced
    Free Member

disk pads seem ok so far. Vbrake pads are excellent. I may be a little wary of moving parts though.Everything has been delivered very quickly.

thomthumb
    Free Member

first off the pads fell apart and neil (owner) tried to blame users. (whilst replacing pads) he then moved position on this.

there was a public argument between him and someone who had a warranty issue with a crank – as i remember the thread on here was started by SSC not the customer, this was before the issue was resolved!!

he was later found to have an alternative log in and be surreptitiously bigging up his own products. I believe this was what he got banned for.

oldgit
    Free Member

The pads I had were dreadful.
    My mates cranks bent.
    But my ISIS bottom bracket with the big balls has been fantastic.

khani
    Free Member

i also remember a very public argument on here about some cranks, that ended with him anouncing to all that he would'nt honour the warrenty because they'ed fitted them with a rock! which sounded silly til you heard the full story of mismatched splines and falling off in the middle of a race so the op bashed em on with a rock to finish, bit of a silly one but it turned out the splines on the cranks were not right from the off, no goodwill or discretion, just a public mauling, both of them did'nt come out of that one looking good, but iv never seen any other trade bods on here act like that, sayin that i think he was new to the trade and on a steep learning curve

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kahni – the full story of that incedent runs ( as told to me by the customer)

Guy buys set of cranks and BB. NO fitting instructions. Fitted them as normal. Failed in some manner Reluctant replacement

2nd set
    failed. replaced.

3rd set – buyer did not fit until the morning of the race. Splines incompatable – one half from one model year the other from the next. Buyer in a flap as racing that day filed and bashed the set trying to make it to fit. Obviously they then failed.

superstar denied any responsibility for the incompatible splines blaming it on the manufacturer ( my belief is that he had made up a set from warrenty returns and not realised he had an incompatible set)

Much public slagging back and forth with superstar refusing to take any responsibility for the problems despite 3 cranks / bb sets failing

Another friend bought a bb / cranks set and had failures and problems – told they had not been fitted correctly when there were no instructions in the packaging. Neil repeated the conversation he had with them ( not mentioning names) slagging them off " everyone who cannot fit a component says they are an aerospace engineer" The person who fitted this actually is an aircraft fitter and an excellent mechanic!

IIRC refused to replace the failed component – but I wouldn't swear to that.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Neil repeated the conversation he had with them

not only repeated but actually started the thread to slag the warranty claiments off!!

khani
    Free Member

tj-did'nt see the full thread, but i remember it was all very public and and ended with fruittangoneil playing to the mob and announcing he would not honour any warrenty due to the rockfitting even though they were faulty to start with, total shambles imo, as i said i'v never seen any trade peeps acting like that on here,the thread about the broken trek with trek col is a good example, even with a (non)customer who'se having a bit of a moan, that was sterling service and a lesson in how to do it

mk1fan
    Free Member

It's odd. I've had – and still use – their brake pads. Had two sets fall apart on two separate ocassions. Although I had bought the pads at the same time they were the last two pairs to be used. E-mailed SSC on both occassions and returned the pads. Got replacements by return, which worked fine.

Current set of pads have lasted 3-months of uplift days, DH race, XC rides and a week of mincing down the Alps dragging the brakes. Still going well with material left on them.

I've no doubt that SSC aren't perfect but I've never got into, or even close to having, any slagging matches over returning parts and getting what I wanted in response.

Got a few SSC products. I'm running the wide boddied s/s sprockets on two bikes. I have one of their carbon seat posts on my commuter and it's very good. I've also got a couple of their s/s tensioners (both jockey and roller types). I picked up one of the s/s hubs during the sale over Christmas and had it built up into a wheel. All of these have served me well. As forge197 has been saying recently, they're transparent. I don't worry about them, I just use them.

At the end of the day any transaction / service can go tits up. Unfortunately, there are also people who are never satisfied. When the two coincide then the outcome will never be good. The internet just allows it to be public.

juiced
    Free Member

to be fair – if i'd had cranks bent and bottom brackets fail quickly and was blamed for not fitting them correctly i wouldn't be happy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I've destroyed 2 of his BB's in 8 rides each, both apparently i must have fitted incorectly. HTF can you fit a BB incorectly, the tool is deliberatley designed so you can't f*** it up.

I have his organic pads, which dont fit in the springs supplied with him. Again, this is apparenly my fault.

I wouldn't give him a shit on a stick, let alone any more of my business.

mk1fan
    Free Member

juiced,

I await for the ususal crowd to respond saying I must be fruit in disquise so they will just ignore what I put but I'll say it anyway.

You're perfectly entitled to be unhappy and upset. But their response doesn't effect your rights.

SSC would not want to go to your local County Court to argue that you had incorrectly fitted the chainset etc… because as soon as they say that no instructions were included then the claim would be resolved in your favour. You stay calm, concise and clear in what you want.

Quite frankly TJ's 'friend' made a stupid choice to turn up at a race – regardless of how important the race was to them – with a broken/non-working bike. Regardless of the reasons for it not working. And I am pretty sure that they didn't react to SSC with 'clean hands' when they had their public arguement.

With that said I can't quite understand why SSC would start a thread about it. It just fuelled the assumptions and claims made by those that have no first hand knowledge of SSC's products, service and failures.

To keep things balanced. Brant has acted in a very similar way to people on STW when they've had issues with On-One products but those that slated SSC applauded Brant's outbursts.

OP,

If there's a SSC product you've got your eye on, buy it, try it and if you don't like it sell it on eBay or return it.

DezB
    Free Member

The company owner talking like a normal person on here upset a few people. Those who prefer the "How much sucking up do you require today, sir" approach to customers.
    I thought he came over like the sort of bloke I wouldn't mind buying stuff off. You pretty much get what you pay for with the products.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shimano BB – £20 – lasts 8-12months

Superstar bb – £20 – lasted 8-12 rides

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I had hideous problems with their early brake pads falling apart. They were replaced to be fair but he did try and say it was my fault. Then he came out with something along the lines of "there's only been 6 failures" when I'd had 3 and a mate had had another. So I asked on here if he would tell the truth, because it was obvious he was telling porkies

Lots of people came foreward and he was proved wrong. Only THEN did he admit to the 'bad batch' !
    To be fair the sintered pads are great, but Maguras only run organic and SS pads are crap and don't last compared to OE pads. As a result I only buy Magura pads now, and I tried Discobrakes too, which aren't much better. Owt else is false economy IMO.

I had 2 Ss BBs too. They lasted OK but the sealing is crap and I was forever regressing them. One wore out and the other got sold on a bike.

I think there's better stuff out there for the same money as Superstar….

nathan9070
    Free Member

had 1 bb and 1 headset they are working fine after a years hard use

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mk1fan – Member
    Quite frankly TJ's 'friend' made a stupid choice to turn up at a race – regardless of how important the race was to them – with a broken/non-working bike.

I don't disagree – and his choice of fitting tools left a lot to be desired.

snowpaul
    Free Member

my pads failed repeatedly – wouldnt touch another product etc ever again for the above stated reasons

paul

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    sc-xc

Haven'tread the whole thread, but after Neil/Fruit/Tango's performance here…acting like a total ****…I would never give him my business. Plenty of other companies with the same business model – i'd rather buy from them.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I never had a prob with the pads and the ISIS BB was good too so will continue to buy them. But when he secretly slagged off competitors and was just rude was really out-of-order. I hope he's learned a lesson because his business is actually quite good.

Northwind

He's an utter, utter c**t but that won't stop me using the pads which so far have been brilliant for me, better than Shimano OEM and about 1/3rd the price. The SS Kevlars survived me braking for basically the entire length of the Fort William DH course without a brake frinstance, if they'd given up the ghost there I'd have said fair enough but they didn't miss a beat, same pads are still in the bike. Pedals are good too, and some other stuff. So provided you can get past the utter c**t thing, no bother.

billybob
    Free Member

discobrakes.com also do pads as cheap if not cheaper than ssc & you don't have to buy off someone most people round here seem to have reason to hate

Northwind

I've used Discos and they're not as good IMO, they felt like people think cheap pads feel like if you know what I mean- bit of a lack of feel, and much less power than the superstar sintered, and (as far as I can tell due to varying conditions) not as longlived either. I also had one set delaminate ironically enough, which is exactly what people reckon Superstar do (then, I've had Shimano OEM and EBC do that as well, as far as I can tell it's just something brake pads sometimes do). Wouldn't hold it against them for that reason but still, I won't rush to buy them again.

I'm sure someone else will sell the same pads under a different brand at some point, when that happens I'll get those. Unless it's Nukeproof, because if it is, they'll be selling the exact same parts for twice as much, like they do with their forks and pedals.

el_boufador

I use the pads – they've all been great – no problems whatsoever. Fitted a BB a couple of months back. The alloy the cups are made out of is a bit soft so the tool dug into them when fitting, but in operation I've no issues to report.

All very quick delivery / no problems with comms when I've needed to talk to them.

It's clear there are some genuine examples of poor PR / customer service issues in the past – obviously not good.

However I also strongly suspect that in the past (not so much now) there was a smear campaign going on against them – probably fuelled by competitors in the industry, who they are undercutting.
    The reason I think this is as follows:
    1) Superstar buy pattern components from the same factories and sometimes to exactly the same designs as other/premium brands, and then flog them on cheaper (great!)
    2) Therefore, ss components are likely to be of no greater or lesser quality than other brands' components sourced in the same way
    3) Why then, if 1-1.5 yrs ago you opened a superstar components-related thread on here, would there be literally 100s of posts slagging the function/quality of the products off, and no similar hoopla regarding the same components branded differently?

I just can't see any other reason than an organised (or at best a spontaneous mob sensing blood and doing it for the sport) campaign.

Anyway, they're gettimg my money so they have won the fight (at least for me).

MrNutt
    Free Member

more octopus please.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘why do so many people knock superstar components?’ is closed to new replies.