Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 158 total)
  • why do roadies..
  • coogan
    Free Member

Och, they'll drop the key whilst wetting their bibshorts as you zoom by sticking a stick in their front wheel.

mybike
    Free Member

Keying cars? are you 11?

I've witness knobs on mountain bikes riding side by **** side when they knew cars were behind & it would be safe to pass if they'd change formation for 30 seconds.
    Fact is some people are **** who give cyclists a bad name & cause accidents.

DavidB
    Free Member

Why is it acceptable for a tractor to do 18mph on a country lane but not a bunch of cyclists?

Well done to Miketually for hitting the nail bang on the head. All sensible groups of cyclist ride 2-up and then single out when it is safe for cars to pass.

As for the "don't hog the road when there's traffic around" **** nonsense. How about slow the **** down when there's only you and a load of cyclists you ignorant motorist ****.

All meant in the best possible taste of course.

wors

Well put davidb

coogan
    Free Member

I like buzzing their back wheel with my bumper. That really annoys them.

mybike
    Free Member

DavidB – Member
    Why is it acceptable for a tractor to do 18mph on a country lane but not a bunch of cyclists?

The point being the tractor driver can be doing so having considered the other road users, its not 2 tractors side by **** side

robdob
    Free Member

Coogan – don't ever do that to me when I'm on my road bike unless you like having your wing mirror ripped off, you pathetic little child.

robdob
    Free Member

Mybike – you really haven't got a clue have you? Get back on the kiddie swings with Coogan

mybike
    Free Member

your right…you best explain

burmaboy
    Free Member

Wow quite a lot of anger out there. I'm a qualified cycling instructor. I teach children and adults safe riding technique for the road. I also love to drive my car and motorbikes and whenever im in a car im usually late for something .

I can see its frustrating for drivers but it is really much safer too ride defensively either in a group or on your own. For instance I would advise that when approaching a bollard or any other road narrowing on a bike you should move early to a central position in the road to stop cars or hgvs overtaking you at that point and squashing you. Plenty of adult students who also drive think this behaviour is obscene until they get caught with a hgv brushing their elbows as they squeeze past.

I also dont see the problem with two cyclists overtaking a parked car on a narrow road. Would a car overtaking not go over the white line?

I will ride at least a metre away from parked cars as I dont want a door in my face at 20mph.

It is not cyclists who have to change their views. It is the motorist. Cyclists have every right to be on the road and in fact were here before the cars became popular. And before you ask, yes I have cycling insurance plus I pay a very high level of road tax for my car. In Amsterdam if a car collides with a cyclist the motorist is almost always liable unless the car is stationary. This attitude will come to the uk over time.

What does piss me off about cyclist are those who skip lights especially in front of children, and those who ride recklously on the pavements. They give us all a bad name , yet motorist who do 31mph in 30mph zone seem to be invisible.

RealMan
    Free Member

I will ride at least a metre away from parked cars as I dont want a door in my face at 20mph.

+1, had it happen before, it hurts like hell.

As mentioned above, it's fine to ride along chatting on a quiet country road, but don't ride like a tw@ and hog the road when there's traffic around.

I've been riding my unicycle a lot, which I think is a bit of a grey area. Are you allowed to ride a unicycle on the pavement? Well, apparently not, as I almost got fined for doing so the other day. However, I'm hardly ever doing more then 7 or 8mph, and do block cars right up. Most people just go past (when they can) with a massive smile on their face. But the other day, some guy leaned out his window and called me a "silly little c**t". Obviously he is unaware that he has an engine, and can make up those 5 lost seconds with just a nudge of his right foot.

Caravans and tractors can hold up cars for ages. Bikes? A minute, max.

druidh
    Free Member

mybike – Member
    Keying cars? are you 11?

Whoosh! You've no idea to what I am referring

I've witness knobs on mountain bikes riding side by **** side when they knew cars were behind & it would be safe to pass if they'd change formation for 30 seconds.
    Fact is some people are **** who give cyclists a bad name & cause accidents.

If it's safe to pass, then it's safe to pass two cyclists side-by side. There's either traffic coming the other way or there isn't.

RealMan
    Free Member

If it's safe to pass, then it's safe to pass two cyclists side-by side. There's either traffic coming the other way or there isn't.

Not if its a narrow country road. That's a bit silly really.

coogan
    Free Member

Coogan – don't ever do that to me when I'm on my road bike unless you like having your wing mirror ripped off, you pathetic little child.

Challenge accepted! Be a neat trick if you could reach my wing mirror if I'm behind you buzzing your wheel. Must be true what they say about roadies and reach arounds…

brakeswithface

Childish banter aside, it does get on my nerves occasionally. Some clubs do as already mentioned ride two abreast and single out when safe, but in my experience they are in the minority. Gives cyclists a bad rep IMO, and for the record I'm in the all round cyclist category.

_tom_
    Free Member

😆 I like where this thread is going.

mybike
    Free Member

If the road is wide enough.

It must be about both road users having consideration for each other.

If I'm out in a group on bikes & cars are blocked from passing because riders in the group are ignorant & too busy chatting its not ok.

PiknMix
    Free Member

There are some well stressy people on this forum.

If it pi55es you off that much why don't you dump the car get on your bike ride with these people and make some new friends?

it can be really annoying to be held up behind anything on the roads at times but that's life isn't it full of little annoyances and all.

I don't even ride a road bike but we are all cyclists and mostly motorists so surely we can all see both sides of it?

brakeswithface

"If it pi55es you off that much why don't you dump the car get on your bike ride with these people and make some new friends?"

Not that practical if, for example, you regularly need to travel from south to north Wales. Small roads all the way, I regularly get stuck behind clubs. It's a good four hour drive as it is, I think cycling would take rather longer.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

It interesting that on motoring forums people complain about cars tailgating each other on country lanes because it doesn't leave a gap that an overtaking car can pull into.

Yet on a bike forum when the issue of cars over taking bikes is raised no one ever questions whether cyclists should be tailgating each other.

Just a thought.

aP
    Free Member

Cyclists tailgating – haha, you've never done any group road riding have you?

DezB
    Free Member

Just a thought
    Not a very sensible one though. Leave a gap big enough for a car to leap past each cyclist one at a time? Duh.

Lots of reasons above, why my group riding is only ever offroad.

Had a conversation this very morning with the large ex-marine chap in my office. Said he came across some roadies riding 2 abreast on a busy town road and went very close to them. Almost got into a road rage incident (they chased him), but he had his mum in the car so didn't stop. I can guarantee that the cyclists would have regretted catching this bloke up. 100%!
    Whether his views on their 2-abreast riding were correct or not, I don't really care. I wouldn't do it though, only on a road where it doesn't hold up the traffic.
    Motorists hate the sight of a bike anyway, why wind them up even more?

marka.
    Free Member

A group of 10 roadies together on a training ride can either be 2 abreast and 5 bikes long or single file and 10 bikes long.

Usually the former is better for everyone, but either option pisses of the car drivers so you can never win.

IainGillam
    Free Member

well assuming you are driving in accordance with the highway code two cyclists riding side by side shouldn't be a problem aslong as they are less than a car width.

•give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)

and cyclists should be:

•never ride more than two abreast

You do follow the highway code don't you?

Iain

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

But you don't hold up the traffic – they will end up in the same place in the next traffic queue!

Bikes are traffic anyway FFS –

I find the attitudes on here unbelievable sometimes. So many STWers worship the great god car and have so little consideration for bikes on the road. Its clear a lot of you are car drivers and occasional cyclists only

Junkyard
    Free Member

I despair when I read anti – bike stuff on a bike forum I realise why I need to ride defensively in every situation if even bike lovers defend the rights of the car to always be driven fast. It would be nice if all road users respected each other but as a result of numerous near misses *[ yes like you coogar] I will do what is safest for me in every situation. A cyclist will always come of worst in a collision so protect ypourself people. When I get abuse from a driver I am just reassured that I just stopped an impatient ****t doing something daft in my general vicinity.
    I do agree there is a time and a place for two abreast but just relax and enjoy the views.

miketually
    Free Member

You know when you're driving your car on your own? You see the space next to you, where the passenger would go? You're driving two abreast.

Go away and buy a 3 foot wide car.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

The club I ride with also ride two abreast. If we see or hear a car we will go to single file but only if it's safe for us when the car overtakes. If a car is on our tail and we are approaching a blind corner then we will hold the car there until a clear path is available in front. It's not a nice experience having a two ton vehicle squeezing you into the hedge.
    It's often said on here that most cyclists are car drivers and that most car drivers are not cyclist therefore don't understand what it's like to ride on the road. It seems a few on here have a similar understanding to the latter. Maybe, if you haven't already you could join a group road ride and experience Mr/ Mrs car drivers actions first hand then maybe opinions might change.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Highway Code:

You should

* keep both hands on the handlebars except when signalling or changing gear
    * keep both feet on the pedals
    * never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends
    * not ride close behind another vehicle
    * not carry anything which will affect your balance or may get tangled up with your wheels or chain
    * be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted

Now its not illegal to cycle 2 a breast and when the road is too narrow for 1 cyclist and 2 cars to pass at the same time I will cycle out into the middle of the lane or cycle 2 a breast!! I have been cut up toooooo many times!!!

I AM NO LONGER TOO POLITE WHEN CYCLING – ITS MY PATCH OF ROAD TOO. I am polite when politeness is due IMHO 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

It's often said on here that most cyclists are car drivers and that most car drivers are not cyclist therefore don't understand what it's like to ride on the road. It seems a few on here have a similar understanding to the latter. Maybe, if you haven't already you could join a group road ride and experience Mr/ Mrs car drivers actions first hand then maybe opinions might change.

A lot on here aren't cyclists either. They might drive to a trail centre once a month and ponce about for 10 miles, but they're not cyclists…

Junkyard
    Free Member

GO miketually.. 😆

ourmaninthenorth

I quite like the idea that riders on the road should hug the gutter and ride with gaps between them and the rider in front.

Oh hold on. That's called time trialling….

🙄

DezB
    Free Member

To reiterate: Motorists hate the sight of a bike anyway, why wind them up even more?

It's not about what's in the highway code, what's legal, worshipping cars or any of that shit. It's about being SAFE.

miketually
    Free Member

It's not about what's in the highway code, what's legal, worshipping cars or any of that shit. It's about being SAFE.

And riding two abreast and taking the lane is safest.

foxyrider
    Free Member

And riding two abreast and taking the lane is safest.

Unfortunately yes , most of the time IME 🙁 Certainly cycling in the gutter will end in tears (comuting 15 miles a day for the past 7 years).

jools182
    Free Member

+1 backhander

The roads are for everyone, if I am cycling on a narrow road where its not safe to pass me and I'm holding a load of cars up I'll pull over to let them past

I can see the point that maybe riding side by side will stop dickheads overtaking when its not safe, but it also holds everyone else up and makes them angry, and an angry motorist is not ideal when on a bike

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

The vitriol in this thread makes me want to weep. In a nutshell…why do we ride two abreast…because we can. It's in the highway code that we can and if you're driving in such a manner for that to be a problem then the problem is with your driving, not with the cyclists. Which, I suspect, everyone here knows deep down to be true which is why the 'pro-motorists brigade' are being so defensive and reactionary.

Good thread tho for a spot of willy waving tho. Nice work all.

juan
    Free Member

Sadly it can also be caused by bloody minded arrogance but that is hopefully not common

Yup, to be fair why people riding in pack of 50 don't give space for a car to hop?
    You really don't want me to tell you my feeling about **** roadies. I would give the commuting bloke as much space as he need. Pack of roadies pah, scum the lot of them. Ask people who have been delay more than 2 hours for a bloody local race on a open road their feeling about it. The feckers where riding abreast on a double lane… Like you can't just give one lane for cars to overtake you. No they **** need to ride 10 abreast. FFS they where so right their own **** arses that they wouldn't let motorbikes overtake. If you are so foucking serious about racing bike, why don't get in a UCI pro team. Or race on close roads?
    And then people wonder why things goes bad between cyclist and cars…

Oh and for people who think cyclist owns the road too, do you really think they cover the road in tarmac for your **** carbon exotica shitness…
    ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGg

And breath.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Whatever form of transport I'm using at the time, I'm in the right.

colint
    Free Member

I'm new to this forum and not sure I'll be hanging around very long as there seem to be plenty of people on this thread who are either kn*bs, not cyclists or trolls.

If you're in a large group, you should always ride 2 abreast as it's easier for a car to overtake you. A group of 20 single file is a long old overtaking manouever. If the road is too narrow to pass a 2 abreast group, then they should single out or pull over if / when save to do so. If you can't pass a 2 abreast group because you'd go into the oncoming traffic then it's tough sh1t, if there isn't room to pass safely then there isn't room.

I get held up almost every day by cyclists on the lanes from the motorway to my home, not riding 2 abreast, usually single riders but it isn't safe to pass because the lanes are winding and you can't see if the road is clear around the bend. I arrive home 5 minutes later than I would have done, but I put getting home without killing somebody at a slightly higher priority. The number of cars I see swing out onto the wrong side of the road on a blind to pass a bike amazes me. The thought of having to slow down for 30 seconds for a cyclist is obviously just too painful for some people.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘why do roadies..’ is closed to new replies.