• This topic has 49 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by johnx2.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Why do pigeons always stand on the road?
  • CountZero

Rooks do it as well, there’s a junction at the end of the short bit of road as you enter the business estate I work on, and there’s often half a dozen rooks wandering around in the road in just that one place.
    There’s sometimes a pigeon or two with them, although the last time I saw a pigeon there was in my rear view mirror enclosed in a cloud of feathers after it took off right in front of my car…

No obvious damage to the car, fortunately.

LD
    Free Member

Why not? Why would you hit an animal on the road unnecessarily?

Usually just sounding your horn is sufficient to clear the road of wandering wildlife.

Driving privilege innit.
    I say the same about cyclists. 😉

kayak23

Rooks do it as well, there’s a junction at the end of the short bit of road as you enter the business estate I work on, and there’s often half a dozen rooks wandering around in the road in just that one place.

Trouble with them is they can only move out of the way horizontally or vertically and can’t go over other birds.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    timba
    Free Member

Rookwits

mattsccm
    Free Member

Pigeons are clever. They strut arouind my lawn in front of me and the cat knowing that she is too lazy and I would get a bollocking for the noise shooting them would make yet in our fields they know exactly what a gun is like and fly up with the airliners.
    As for braking for animals in the road well….. Squirrels and pigeons need culling so speed up. Boar, deer and sheep are bigger so slow down or duff the vehicle. We all know that, if the dimwit behind you tail ends you because you brake hard, it’s their fault but it is still a pain to get the dents sorted.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Oh yeah. Who ever suggested the horn doesn’t live where animals live in the road. The sheep outside don’t even look up to a horn the boar don’t change their plans either.

i_like_food

Trouble with them is they can only move out of the way horizontally or vertically and can’t go over other birds.

Nicely done.

Olly
    Free Member

They don’t move until the last nanosecond and I always end up dabbing the brakes.

If they move as soon as they see an incoming predator, the predator can easily and gently adjust course to follow them.
    If they leave it till the last minute, the predator (dog/cat/sparrowhawk) has to make a rapid adjustment in velocity to follow them and looses all their momentum and speed.

same reason you can chase a sheep down a lane, and it wont dive into the hedge until youre nearly on top of it.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

same reason you can chase a sheep down a lane, and it wont dive into the hedge until youre nearly on top of it.

Why are you trying to get on top of a sheep?

johnx2
    Free Member

Bragging they can go faster than a sheep. Anything that doesn’t pay road tax has to be fair game.

That said, I know a guy who wound up in hospital for a few days after a rabbit ran through his front wheel. Fur everywhere.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.