• This topic has 49 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by johnx2.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Why do pigeons always stand on the road?
  • kayak23

Every morning. On the road.
    They don’t move until the last nanosecond and I always end up dabbing the brakes.

Dicks 🙄
    What are they up to?

slowoldman

Because the cows have occupied the tracks.

kelvin

Are they not on a wall there?

Anyway, the answer is that they love playing chicken with the traffic.

dangeourbrain

Are they not on a wall there?

They’re just really big. I sure as hell wouldn’t want to hit one of those on my commute

blokeuptheroad

If the pigeons were that mahoosive where I live, I’d be on the brakes too! Those big lads would write your car off!

avdave2

They don’t move until the last nanosecond

The refresh rate of their vision far exceeds yours

dangeourbrain

What are they up to?

Maybe it’s where the coo-l birds are at?

Scapegoat

Sorry to add a sensible answer, but they often stand in the road, mostly around potholes, to drink or to eat grit.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Ha ha, this just made me laugh out loud. I’ve thought exactly the same thing and used far more harsh words than dicks to describe them.

Thought it was just me who noticed this.

dangeourbrain

Despite the truth of the matter, its a great excuse to post this.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

longdog
    Free Member

Sorry to add a sensible answer, but they often stand in the road, mostly around potholes, to drink or to eat grit

Sheep do this too around catseyes (very much so on the main road through Yell, Shetland) to drink the salty water from road gritting that pools around them.

dangeourbrain

@n0b0dy0ftheg0at I can’t see any cows in that photo can you? I guess they’re really far away.

Caher

In rural roads in Ireland it’s the crows.

dangeourbrain

They’ll just be preachain to their flock.

sirromj
    Free Member

They’re a new breed of kamikazee agitative cultural disrupters. Just pretend they’re cyclists 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

In rural roads in Ireland it’s the crows.

The crows get out of the way early as there is always a look out crow who shouts “Cah, cah, cah”

kayak23

They don’t move until the last nanosecond

The refresh rate of their vision far exceeds yours

No need to be like that.
    How do you know how fast my refresh rate is?
    😉

Drac

I feed the pigeons, I sometimes feed the sparrows too. It gives me a sense of enormous well-being

Trimix
    Free Member

Park life.

burntembers
    Free Member

I thought everyone was now aware that birds aren’t real.

https://birdsarentreal.com/pages/who-are-we

dangeourbrain

Ever thought maybe that’s what they want you to think? Makes you think, doesn’t it.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Theres a theory that birds wait until the last minute to fly off because the pressure from the car actually lifts them out of the way, so it means they dont have to both “flying” out the way, they just get pushed.

dangeourbrain

I’ve pushed rather a lot of pheasants over the years, and you’re right, it certainly saves them a lot of flying.

Greybeard

Theres a theory that birds wait until the last minute to fly off because the pressure from the car actually lifts them

A friend had one of the first Ford Sierras, and hit so many birds in the first 6 months he reckons that was evidence for that – the Sierra was significantly more streamlined and the birds had to recalibrate.

chrisyork

We live in a very farmy village and the tractors drop lots of seed etc, I agree though rats of the skies! Always the first bloody things to wake up too and I cannot stand their cooing and usually can’t get back to sleep!!

LD
    Free Member

Just had to have this conversation with my son who is learning to drive. Don’t swerve, don’t brake was my basic advice.

ernielynch
    Free Member

don’t brake was my basic advice.

Why not? Why would you hit an animal on the road unnecessarily?

Usually just sounding your horn is sufficient to clear the road of wandering wildlife.

timba
    Free Member

Why would you hit an animal on the road unnecessarily?

Exactly. You wouldn’t want to invoke Darwin and allow pigeons to adapt and develop, they’re already annoying enough 🙂

funkmasterp

Too late to stop them adapting judging by the size of those in the photo up there.

CheesybeanZ

The crows get out of the way early as there is always a look out crow who shouts “Cah, cah, cah”

👏

tjagain

Why not? Why would you hit an animal on the road unnecessarily

Swerving can cause a crash. Many years ago i rolled a car after a reflex swerve to avoid birds in the road

funkmasterp

Two things saved TJ’s life that day. The helmet he was wearing and the dog that pulled him free of the wreckage.

tjagain

🤣

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d imagine those two ^^ are using a grammatically simplified method of communicating.

Sandwich

If there’s any traffic it stops you being rear-ended (ooer) by the following driver who won’t be concentrating just following the bumper in front.

ernielynch
    Free Member

don’t brake was my basic advice.

Swerving can cause a crash.

Every time you brake you serve?

If I see an animal on the road ahead, or a human for that matter, I can apply the brakes without swerving.

I do it all the time!

aide

Is it not that the tarmac/concrete heats up quicker than just bare ground so they prefer it in the mornings? (I could have this totally wrong)

ernielynch
    Free Member

Actually pigeons like nothing more than to lie down in sunshine, with their wings tucked under their abdomen. I know of no other bird that does that.

They are also the only birds that can suck water btw

kayak23

Bet they can’t suck a McDonald’s milkshake through a paper straw though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.